1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

I wince at the thought of that scraping sound and how much more frequently it's going to happen after I drop the car a half inch next week. Oh well.

2. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

There is a guy in my neighborhood with an old 911 Turbo. Every driveway in the neighborhood has fairly steep driveways, and on a couple occasions I have been walking the dog when he's pulling it out or in, and it pains me to hear it scrape with the elevation change.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Track days are fun, but I'd rather do them in a car that's not as nice. I know they are designed for that type of use, but if condition of the car matters, as one tech said to me, "Using a new or show car condition vehicle for track days is the fastest way to turn a pristine condition car into something that looks like a daily driver." Chunks of rubber from pieces of tire on the track or other debris get thrown at you buy other cars on the track. If he does them, he should be sure to get track insurance. A friend of mine with lots of track experience totaled his 993 at a track event last year. He had track insurance and they covered the loss, and he picked up another 993 a few weeks later.

Getting extra lower rubber spoilers is a great idea, especially if he lives near NYC. A lot of the roads there suck. Roads here in New England are similar, and friends of mine with GT4s, GT3s and older water cooled Turbos have all had to replace the lower rubber spoiler piece.

4. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

BMW to start charging an annual fee to use Apple CarPlay? (This his nothing to do with net neutrality...dunno why they stuck that in there).

WTF? that's $80 a year to let your phone handle all of the navigation and media stuff. Other makers include it in low-spec vehicles for no extra charge. CarPlay is literaly running on your phone...your car doesn't have to do anything besides display the images.

5. brokencycle

The higher end you go, the less that's included. I'm always amazed when I stay at a nicer hotel (eg was at a JW Marriott recently) and they don't have free wi-fi unless you're gold or platinum or whatever.

6. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I mean, I get the hotel thing (especially since their bread and butter is expense-account travel)...

But carplay isn't even a service. It is basically a one-time feature integration. Either your head unit supports it or does not. All ongoing updates are handled by Apple and maintained by you (vis-a-vis you paying your phone bill, keeping your phone apps up to date, buying new phones, etc).

The auto manufacturer is not providing any sort of ongoing service or continued support. If anything it costs them money to develop a system by which they cut off your access after a year.

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I agree, it is pretty obnoxious. Sort of like how Fiat charges extra for navigation on the Spider, but all Spiders already have it installed. You're just paying to activate hardware and software already on the car.

8. brokencycle

I agree. Does BMW charge anything up front for it though? It could just be a pricing model shift. Although it is a silly one.

This has been a long practice of a lot of different industries. Go back even a decade ago, and IBM used to ship a lot of servers with a bunch of deactivated HW (often costing them thousands of dollars extra) that you could activate with a SW license at any time. Telsa has the HW for features that are deactiavted unless you pay for them (and they charge you less if you buy it with the car rather than later allegedly).

9. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

The recent discussion around @mafoofan 's Recent purchase. and his reasons why, led me to do something crazy. i went out in search of the "it" car. if i could buy a car, Just for the purpose of "Because i want to", What would it be?

I found it. MY Dream car. something that in my humble opinion could be the greatest car ever made.
    What is it?
    Best car ever.jpg

The 2018 Lexus LC500. (metallic red, carbon roof. black interior. )
    Not a fan of dealership depreciation, or loaded. but when these hit the used market at around half retail? the choice has been made. i WILL have one. because i can. even if it means being patient.

A guy like me, dressed the way i dress.:lookaround: standing in front of this thing, asking why it doesn't have a manual transmission. . but the more i looked at it. the more i didn't care what gearbox was in it. oh my lord this thing is art. it costs 130 times what i paid for my daily. is it 130 times more car? absolutely. :drool:

The dealership lady was awfully nice to me. after i thanked her for her time, and walked out to a 2002 Forester ST/B.
    she rushed out to me. and handed me an envelope with all the marketing and brochures. with the language of "perhaps not today, but when you do. . " oh, i will. :fonz:
    Thanks Lexus, for being classy. and making epic cars. you have a new brand loyalist.

and thanks Foo, for prompting me to aspire to something.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 12:04 AM

10. brokencycle

I really like the LC500, but I don't know why they put a back seat in it.

11. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Congrats on figuring out your dream car. It definitely has some nice features. It looks nice from some angles, from others I find it a bit awkward. I could see you transitioning from "The Barge to the LC500. It is rather heavy at little under 4,300 lbs...but with 2 doors and a big 5 liter V8, it could be the "Sports Barge." Its also nice when sales people are friendly and not snobby.

I do wish Lexus would come up with a different front grill design. For me that grill detracts from all of their cars. Anyway, it is always fun to think about what our dream car is, so thanks for sharing yours. Cheers!

12. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

So your back pack can ride in comfort. :D

@Dino944 Thanks for being like "I totally get why you like this car".
    Ultimately, i want a GT Car. Dailying a race car gets old real fast. (Yellow monster)
    looks wise? yeah, it screams Toyota. as the design language is across the board. ie:2017 Crown Athlete,Mirai,Prius, etc.
    But it ticks all the boxes.

You are right.it's 50 shades of Barge. -SC400. . . Supra. . . the new successor to both. - an SC in a Supra skin.
    The BMW "Suprius" is a joke.instawalk.the new NSX? not a chance. but this car? Legit. the last Toyota Bad boy. which makes it special.

"The Barge" was always a stop gap car, the vehicle (pun) to get me to the next level. on a 5 year plan. and to try new things, without risking loss of value.
    -and you haven't seen the last of it. summer is coming. i will soon ask for all of you to help me on deciding what to do with it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 5:55 AM

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

TV, always happy to inspire excessive consumption . . . but holy fuck why is that car so heavy??? To put in perspective, it's a hundred pounds heavier than a 7-series!

What about a GT350? That one will be a real classic.