Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Delivered Friday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black on black.
    [​IMG]

2. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I don't know, Jay. We agree on a lot of things, but if the only thing standing between me and a DB9 was a 3 hr. trip to Chicago for service, it would already be in the stable. And I have the most constipated schedule imaginable. Heck, fully a third of the reason I am in law school is so that I can have a DB9 some day. Used. I hope to sell my M Coupe in two years and take 20k off of the ~ 80-100k price on a used DB9 because I am so enamored with that creature.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Oh, trust me, it's really tempting, but it's so convenient to have service near. On the other hand, my short list changes seemingly daily, so who knows? :)

6. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

different strokes for different folks, imho with cars: function > form, it's a machine
    I want a fast car, not one that 'looks' fast but is slower than some car costing a fraction as much...especially since it's posed as a sports or high performance car
    granted, if I wanted luxury, speed would be secondary, then again, I would want a 4 door, not a 2 door poser

sleeper factor, anti-bling, eg, a BMW M3 costs much less than a 911, yet is as fast, and far more practical, ergo much better design and engineering
    flash will always sell, but that doesn't make it good or well designed
    I look for the 'beauty' underneath, the beauty built into the device

it will 'look' amazing, but imo it is not amazing, that is the difference between our perspectives
    guess that's why they make so many marques/models, lol
    but there is this thing about cars, can't see them from the drivers seat, and can only judge them from the same seat

there's a reason AM is always on the verge of insolvency and Ferrari thrives

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

What? A 997 will eat an m3 the fuck up.

Would have a db9 as a daily, rapide is excellent.

Love the porte, am thinking of a used one as depreciation is that of a boat anchor. Hand build ferrari engine.

8. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

^If you look at the stats the m3 is at around 4.4 and a lot of 2011 Porsche were right around that mark, some even higher.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

lol

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

+1, every Maserati post 2000 that you can buy in the US used until now is a steal. 2004-2006 spyders are under $30k in mint condition. Absolutely the most car you can buy US dollar for dollar.

3 hours wouldn't hold me back from the Rapide either, ive done the 2 hr thing with BMWs, Audis, VWs- surely at the level of a new Aston they'd flatbed it for service anyway? I say do it - you have a Porsche too right? It won't be a corolla and a civic but you'll never be car-less anyway.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  11. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I have been tempted on many occasions to finance a used Maserati or CL65 AMG and live in it, and bank money to the side for maintenance. But I always talk my self out of it...

~Kurt

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

All true. There's this other consideration though: I can get away with having a Merc and a P-car in these parts, but an AM may get me a bit more attention than I would want. It's mighty tempting though.

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Quote:
    Astons do tend to have staying power. I do worry about how dated the electronics get in all the new cars, especially with satnav and computer-adjusted settings. Switchgear FTW. The satnav in my '07 M Coupe already looks archaic -- would love to get rid of that.

I also agree on the new M5. Meh.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

the problem with Astons is that they are never close to the top of their class from a performance perspective. and getting a used one makes the problem even worse. drive around in an early 2000's AM and prepare to get tested by Mustangs and 350z's.

of course, they are drop dead gorgeous though, and sometimes that's reason enough to buy one. I would pick a model designed during the Ford reign, such as the V8 Vantage (believe it or not, AM owners say Ford actually improved the quality and reliability of Aston Martin). also, they all look so much alike that it's hard to justify the cost of the top of the range cars like the DBS sometimes

15. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

not in this intertial reference frame

the e92 M3 is faster than the base 997, and the same as the 997S
    8:05 --- 152.91 km/h - BMW M3, 420 PS/1608 kg (sport auto 12/07)
    8:05 --- 152.91 km/h - Porsche 997 Carrera S, 355PS/1461kg (sport auto 05/05)
    same driver

base 997, driven by one of the best ever
    8:15 --- 149.82 km/h - Porsche 997 Carrera 2, Walter Roehrl (WHEELS 06/04)

straightline times are about the same also
    for all intents and purposes these cars are of the same speed class

but the M is over 20k cheaper than a similar option 997S (or even 997), has 4 usable seats and a trunk