1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Get the Craziest GT3 you can. it will equal resale.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Miami Blue crazy enough? Or do have to go PTS and get acid green?

3. Thrift Vader

Miami Blue is nice.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

I wouldn't want Miami Blue on a basic Carrera, but I think it looks really good on the GT3. If you go PTS be careful about going crazy, and make sure that it's still looks attractive on the car. I've seen some really ugly PTS choices, and 1 of 1 in a really ugly color doesn't help with resale. Some brighter colors or pastels can transform a car from looking "Badass" into something that looks like it was purchased by a rich teenage girl who hasn't outgrown Hello Kitty. Good luck with whatever color you choose.

5. mafoofan

I was kidding about PTS. As far as I know, it's not even available to me--you need a special allocation. Not sure what I'd pick if I had free reign. Probably something like Miami Blue, or some sort of green.

Miami Blue has been accused of being a teenage girl color. But that just makes me like it even more.

6. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

Foo, i have some thoughts.

PTS adds value to the car. It’s crazy, but it does. The problem with this is that so many people pick really stupid colors just to have car 1 of 1, and end up being the poster child for “just because you can do it doesn’t mean you should”. Porsche recently got wise to this phenomenon and jacked up the PTS option to 12 grand, but I think you would have a grand time analyzing the hundreds of option

You appear to have seen Miami Blue in person. That’s good because it looks different than in pictures. to the point that I’d heard at least one person down here refused delivery when he saw it.

Buckets - they’re comfortable enough. The bigger issue is adjustability. My 5’3” wife refuses to drive mine because she says she cannot move it forward enough so she can operate the clutch comfortably. Hopefully you’ve both sat in one and driven it a bit to sort out any possible issues there

Options to consider:
    PCCB - not really worth it other than for bragging rights imo, and I recently had to pay 12 grand to replace two damaged discs. Painful.

Deviated stitching to match the yellow seat belts. Another thing that you can go overboard on, but I think it looks great with just the console, seats, doors, dash and steering column.

PTS as mentioned

Get the smoking package so you get an extra charging port

Touring package: i personally love this and would spec this if I get the GT3, but it basically comes down to whether you want your car to look like the traditional GT3, or like a 911R

Good luck finding parking. You will love the car, i promise

7. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

Oh, i see Dino made some of my
    same points as I was typing my novel. See! That means I’m right

8. mafoofan

Thanks for the advice! Which model do you have? 991.2 or 997?

I don't think PTS is an option for me. Need a special allocation for that. Anyway, I think I would drive myself nuts picking a color--likely only to wind up with something similar to Miami Blue. I've seen Miami Blue in person. Love that greenish turquoise hue. Lot of people don't like that it isn't a more straight-up blue, but I prefer it with some green in it myself.

Buckets are happening. They work for me. My wife will likely never drive this car--firstly, because she doesn't know how to drive, and secondly, because I think she'd be too terrified to try a manual transmission performance car even if she could.

I want to do the PCCB because I'm not likely to take this car on track much, if ever. Sacrilege, I know. But that means I'm not worried about ever having to replace them. A stupider reason: I think yellow calipers with Miami Blue look better than red ones. I'd point out that PCCBs save unsprung weight, but I can't type that with a straight face.

I think yellow deviated stitching would look fantastic with yellow belts, but I think it would look terrible with the Miami Blue exterior. So, I'm going to do the standard silver stitching, but add the yellow belts, to reference to the yellow brake calipers.

I appreciate the elegance of the Touring package . . . but WING!!!!!

9. Dino944

Just a thought on the PCCBs. A lot of Porsche and Ferrari (430) owners who get cars with ceramic carbon brakes take them off and put the standard steel ones on. They order the cars with PCCBs as bragging rights. The issue isn't so much about wearing them out, its about damage and the cost of replacing them. I've heard of guys getting a stone caught between the pad and the rotor and cracking the rotor. But if matching them to the Miami Blue and saving unsprung weight, and having less brake dust are your main concerns ;) ...then go for it!

10. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

I’ve got the 997. Not to start a debate, but I prefer it to the 991. But that 991.2 might be the perfect GT car. I somewhat paradoxically prefer the 997 because it’s a bigger pain in the ass which I masochistically find more rewarding.

My brain finds pccb’s pointless but I love them anyway. Enough that i (sheepishly) couldnt resist speccing them on the GT4.

11. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

I'd get it just for the brake dust. My brake dust on my AMG is insane and is impossible to clean all of it off without taking off the wheels.

12. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

It’s a wash. No brake dust is awesome, but it’s offset by the annoying (but “raw” ftw) noises that the whole setup makes. Tbh I see no problem in getting them for bragging rights or because the calipers are yellow. I totally got mine to match the yellow seatbelts as well (btw they’re not the same shade of yellow if that matters)

13. Dino944

Brake dust is a pain on all German cars (at least those without carbon ceramic brakes). A single drive of 10 miles in our Porsche and I can see brake dust on the wheels. On my wife MB its not quite as bad, at least from a distance, since her wheels are mostly black with a little silver trim.

If it makes someone happy to have PCCBs, then the cost doesn't matter. Personally, I never understood why they didn't make the PCCB calipers a color closer to the seatbelts and other yellow colored items. Maybe the PCCBs used to be a better match to the previous yellow paint color Speed Yellow. Now they aren't even remotely close to matching the Racing Yellow Paint, or Racing Yellow seatbelts.

14. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

Congrats on the GT3 allocation!

Your build is pretty much perfect. I didn't run the code on the Porsche site so I can't see the specifics, but you've nailed the major options.

Paint-wise, the nicest local GT3 I've seen is GT Silver with standard silver wheels. But this is, of course, personal preference. I also have friends with Guards Red, Carmine Red, and Carrera White, the latter of which is my least favourite due to ubiquity (and the fact that I've had 2 white 911s in a row). Miami Blue is how I specced mine when the car was first announced and I naively thought I may be able to get an allocation. The perfect colour, IMO, for a weekend car.

Exterior-wise, have you considered the painted sills or carbon mirrors with the lowers in black? Both are subtle, but help make the car look a bit more aggressive. The black mirrors also tie together the headlights, wheels, and wing end caps.
    [​IMG]

In terms of the interior, please make sure you spec it with leather dash. I can't understand why people spend this much on a car and skip on this option (track rats notwithstanding). 100% deal breaker for me.

Also, if you option the car with deviated stitching in a non-standard colour (ie. yellow), it removes the horrific silver or red offset stripe from the seat. The result is an interior that, in my opinion, is infinitely better looking:

[​IMG]

It's easy to get carried away with these builds, and you really can't go wrong (except for the local guy who ordered his PTS Irish Green brown interior, black wheels with red stripe, red headlight washer nozzles, etc.). I'm excited for you!

15. Thrift Vader

some things are confusing me.
    The Brake dust thing. doesn't it come down to Pad selection? I understand that on an AMG, or almost any other car. you can use whichever pads and discs you want. with the Porsches, you have to run OEM? o_O

and the Yellow seat belts/air vents. on the fence about those. being able to color match to the exterior, or choose whatever you want makes more sense to me.
    but i'm not one to judge.

The design above looks awesome.