• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry @Dino944 true story, near my house is a set of traffic lights on an incline. so you have to stop going uphill. the lady in the Benz with 4-matic got stuck. and she was mashing the gas pedal. moi? ease off the brake, let it roll slowly, and ease on the gas. let the car do it's thing. and proceed forward. ain't fast. but i ain't stuck.
a 45k+ AWD Benz. and a $1,000 V8 RWD ?
//
tumblr_njhg08RbSO1qfjej5o1_500.gif

I believe you, but when I hear someone with 4Matic is stuck on a hill, I tend to think that there was something wrong the driver (perhaps the driver was having a stroke, or its a deferred maintenance car with issues). I've been on very steep hills with my wife's old C320 Sport 4Matic and never gotten stuck. I've been on a steep hill in her current C43 and not had any problem, and the latest gen of 4matic is supposed to be much better than what we previously had . So, not sure what the issue was with the MB you encountered, but I don't think its the norm.

PS. Thanks for the Clarkson photo, driving the Porsche 944. Brings back memories of when I had a 944 years ago. Cheers!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry @Dino944
tumblr_njhg08RbSO1qfjej5o1_500.gif

We buy the Turbo Subies for the higher trim levels. they are really nice inside. Especially the top shelf Legacy's. but cot damn, they drop head gaskets like the new waiter drops plates. . . .

Now the wife wants a Toyota luxo barge for her next car.
perhaps a "Crown Athlete Wagon" like this one. .
View attachment 903001

The only trim items that matter to me on the Subie are the winter package (I like the heated lower windshield glass, that keeps the wiper blades from icing up, and from "Chattering" as they go across the glass in cold weather, and heated seats are nice on a cold morning for a car that isn't garaged), and fog lamps (because we get a lot of bad weather + fog + wildlife where I live). I don't need leather or wood, or the upgraded sound system. I will admit, the one item that is on our current car, which seems a bit silly on a car that is not that its a performance car, but I've grown to like is the rear spoiler, because it has an extra center mounted brake light in addition to the one in the rear window. I deal with some many cases involving distracted drivers who plow right into the backs of cars that are slowing or even at a complete stop. So any added measure to wake up some of these dumb f*cks is a welcome addition!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Here we got 4 Subaru options.

- Ikea
-slow with comfort and stickers
-The Buffet
-Extra sauce (Spicy)

As dirt cheap as they are? we try to grab a clean one loaded. the current fozzy is bank.
yeah, the 3rd brake light is a good thing. people are dumb.
the lady in the Benz simply believed that AWD would help her. nothing replaces learning the car you have, and learning how it wants to go. in all seasons. which brings me to the point.

what i'm trying to say is,if you are looking for a winter daily? think harder.
RWD can be a good thing.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the lady in the Benz simply believed that AWD would help her. nothing replaces learning the car you have, and learning how it wants to go. in all seasons. which brings me to the point.

what i'm trying to say is,if you are looking for a winter daily? think harder.
RWD can be a good thing.

Well, there is no shortage of idiots who can't drive or don't know what the f*ck they are doing when they get behind the wheel. I have a very vivid memory of being behind a lady driving a late 1980s, white Porsche 911 Cabriolet with a blue soft top. As we approached a steep upward incline leading from the parking garage up to street level. I gave her plenty of room in case she rolled back a bit before taking off (not knowing how good she was or wasn't driving stick). As there was a car ahead of her she was stuck at a steep incline and I see no brake lights come on, and then there was the unmistakable smell of burning clutch! I can only hope that she has learned to drive stick by now or has moved on to an automatic.

As someone who drove a RWD car as a daily in New England weather for 15+ years, I'm well versed in driving them in winter weather. They can certainly be fun and entertaining in snow if you have a large parking lot and no other cars around and you want to learn some handling dynamics of the car in slick conditions. However, these days, I greatly prefer a car with AWD during the winter so I can get to work hassle free, and I'll just wait until spring to enjoy driving some fun cars with RWD.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@Dino944 come on man, you know i'm coming at this as sensible as possible. a refined RWD is great in snow if you spend the time feeling it out. and it can get you to work with no issues.

eh, i really mean.. take your car to a frozen parking lot. whip it hard. learn it. and you are set. know the functions. and how to crawl through traffic.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 come on man, you know i'm coming at this as sensible as possible. a refined RWD is great in snow if you spend the time feeling it out. and it can get you to work with no issues.

eh, i really mean.. take your car to a frozen parking lot. whip it hard. learn it. and you are set. know the functions. and how to crawl through traffic.

I respect your abilities, what you do with cars, and your opinion. However, on the issue of AWD vs RWD in regions with heavy snowfall, I think we will just have to agree to disagree. As stated previously , I spent many years driving RWD cars in New England and have driven in lots of snow storms with RWD cars. I can't speak as to how much snow you get in the region of Japan where you live, but we get a lot of snow here in New England. It is not unusual for us to get storms dumping anywhere from 8 inches to 15 inches of snow (or more on occasion). I've had to drive home from work in numerous snowstorms and blizzards. I have plenty of practice driving RWD cars in snow, its not something I'm uncomfortable with or need practice doing. I'd just much rather be in an AWD car in a heavy snow storm than a RWD car...on a handful of occasions, the RWD car got stuck and limited slip and traction control didn't do anything. With AWD... I've never been stuck.

I should also add, we have a rather steep driveway. If I came home from work and there is more than 4 inches of snow on the driveway, without AWD, I guarantee you I would just be sliding sideways and end up on my lawn instead of at the top of the driveway. I've seen it happen...to people who pulled into my driveway before I had an chance to snowblow it. Anyway, just my 2 cents...if you love RWD in the winter, more power to you! :cheers:

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the East Coast enjoying your snow dump? Here in the West, we're recovering from -30c high with a -40c low with windchill.

My car did not like that at all lol. My S3 sounded like a TDI during the first 5 minutes.

Also, RWD, AWD, FWD... moot point if you have all seasons. Winter tyres make a big difference. And a cinder block in the trunk for RWD.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I just went from 65 degrees in the UAE to 55 degrees in Miami so I feel all of your pain. I didn’t even have a chance to winterize my cars!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the East Coast enjoying your snow dump? Here in the West, we're recovering from -30c high with a -40c low with windchill.

My car did not like that at all lol. My S3 sounded like a TDI during the first 5 minutes.

Also, RWD, AWD, FWD... moot point if you have all seasons. Winter tyres make a big difference. And a cinder block in the trunk for RWD.

Yes, got blasted with a lot of snow and the temperature here is a 7F and we are expecting temps to drop to about -9F by Sunday.

At least where I live AWD and all seasons will get you through any winter storm, provided the tires have a plenty of tread on them. In winter storms I've had issues with visibility, not with traction or handling. However, dedicated snows are without a doubt the best choice in snowy climates.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@Dino944 always respect for the members in here, and their thoughts. The contrast in discussion makes this an engaging and informative thread.
We have a broad spectrum of ideas and experience. Not to mention budget.
We'd look like a proper mixed bunch at a car meet. But would get along famously. :cheers:

Winter?
We run dedicated winter tires. On all of our cars. These are the winter's on the fozzy.
PSX_20180106_193307.jpg

Wife is lucky, she gets the best of everything on her car. both winter and summer are Rays wheels. will probably get her some Work, or SSR's with federal tires next summer.
ahem, winter... almost every car in Hokkaido runs dedicated snow tires. Insurance companies will not cover you in winter on summer tires.

here are some sample pics of around here in winter:

during-winter.jpg

Japan-Snow-700x394.jpg

DSC_1126.jpg

TL0116HOK14-HOKKAIDO0116.jpg

scenery:
A18H84525-01.jpg

Yerp. it's cold up here. :bored:
And here is me, digging the yellow monster out of the snow.
PSX_20180101_223042.jpg

I guess the things in favor of the Lexo Barge are that it has adjustable Air Suspension, set to "High" for winter. providing ground clearance equal to the Forester. Dedicated snow tires, the fancy traction control stuff, the snow button, a heater that WORKS :inlove:, and an engine that starts even in the most bitter cold. being a heavy SOB helps too. :cool2:
it just plows.. . .

i agree with @Dino944 in that while a AWD instantly gives confidence, (perhaps a bad thing?) there is nothing wrong with some RWD's in the snow. and yes, Mrs V did get a Subaru Legacy stuck. o_O my yellow car has never got stuck. but it's a phenom.

it might seem odd for a guy with 2 Sti Subaru's, to prefer a RWD daily in winter.
but don't laugh, consider it. just cruising along? it gets the job done.in warmth and comfort.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
on a different note, i found the perfect wheels today. Rays "Black Fleet" 5 spoke.
DSC_2709.JPG

check 'em out,2 piece, Matte Black, machined edges, and?
DSC_2710.JPG

A brushed/clear coat finish! :drool:

for Dat "Anti Bling", Badass pro touring/rat rod aesthetic. so want these. :inlove:

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While subies slash AWD/4WD/4x4 cars probably work fine in the snow/winter with all seasons, I can assure you that winter tires totally transform the handling. I swapped over the other day and my all season tread is pretty good, but it made a gigantic difference in how predictable the car is in the snow.

Blizzaks are fantastic.

I think you get off fine because you purposefully pick all seasons with good snow tread. Most are arguably better as 3 seasons, ya know? So your all seasons are likely going to be better than most others.

Still, it makes a huge difference!

I think you still have plenty more life in it with only 154K on it. Neglect by a previous owner can always play a part in additional ownership costs. But once those issues are resolved hopefully its relatively smooth sailing. I had an 04 Legacy, basic 4 (non turbo) and I got 202K miles out of it before it started to need a lot of work (a dealer wanted about $3,500 to fix everything). I do have to admit, our 04 with a 4 cylinder did have more problems than our 2010 4 cylinder Legacy. That being said, for New England weather its really tough to beat a Subie. My wife is a pharmacist and has to be at the hospital often for 6 am and not all the roads are plowed, or plowed well. We've both driven the Subies in terrible blizzards and always made it to our destination safe and sound. She got to work using it in a blizzard and the only issue she had was the visibility conditions were so poor that she couldn't tell what street she was on, and she drove one street farther than the hospital. I've driven FWD cars on snow tires and gotten stuck, and RWD cars on snow tires and gotten stuck, but knock on wood that has never happened with either of our Subies (and the Subies have just been on all season tires that tested well in snow and ice). Anyway, wishing you luck with whatever you decide with the Subie, and good luck with the Miata project. :cheers:

Well, the noise turned out just to be a loose bolt on the swaybar/endlink junction. Drove the car 200 miles yesterday and it was totally fine.

This is how I tested things.

uUhziMe.jpg

Anddd then I tried to park my gf's camry up my driveway and cracked her bumper because it apparently is not good in snow counter to what she says lol.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up with FWD and all-seasons on snow. Let's just say I got stuck a bunch or just didn't drive. I am glad here in Nashville that the city closes for 2" of snow so I get to chill in front of a fire all day and keep warm.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
While subies slash AWD/4WD/4x4 cars probably work fine in the snow/winter with all seasons, I can assure you that winter tires totally transform the handling. I swapped over the other day and my all season tread is pretty good, but it made a gigantic difference in how predictable the car is in the snow.

Blizzaks are fantastic.

I think you get off fine because you purposefully pick all seasons with good snow tread. Most are arguably better as 3 seasons, ya know? So your all seasons are likely going to be better than most others.

Still, it makes a huge difference!

Well, the noise turned out just to be a loose bolt on the swaybar/endlink junction. Drove the car 200 miles yesterday and it was totally fine.

This is how I tested things.

uUhziMe.jpg

Anddd then I tried to park my gf's camry up my driveway and cracked her bumper because it apparently is not good in snow counter to what she says lol.

You are right. Tires do make the difference. studless snow tires, like Blizzak's,Yokohama IG's or, to a lesser extent, Michelin . . . (i forget the name,they sucked on ice) = Winters vs 3 seasons. any car will have a better chance. a Subie on Bizzaks? oh man,crazy good.
yeah, i get by with tire choice, and the things that help them get traction. would i feel as good about a regular, old school RWD driveline, on 3 seasons? probably not.

FWD?? Not a chance, last week a dude with a Civic Type R was moaning about how much his car sucked in winter. -mix torque steer, with having your power and brakes at the same wheels? is a recipie for loss of control.
it's not like you can stab the brakes, turn in, and let the rear scratch and claw while the fronts maintain their grip,and steering input,brakes.:sarcasm:

which brings me the the Subie weakness. . yes, the flaw in Subie handling. (AT) If you come to a turn, stab the brake, turn in, and accelerate? it will slide sideways. not in the fun way. it just clean carries momentum and heads for the curb. even at slow speeds. because if one wheel loses traction? all 4 wheels lose traction. and the weight is going thattaway. <.> no matter your steering input. as all wheels are spinning. which is a big issue.( I'd rather do a 180, than slam the kerb.)
with a manual? just Gymkhana that ****. :laugh: more control is available to you. and you can use it.

But not everybody drives a rally car. most Subies are Auto. and when one hits ice at an intersection? Game over. (unless you were stopped at a red light, don't even try to rush the yellow)
you WILL slide. and have almost no options to correct it. so far, this winter? the AT Fozzy has been 50/50. i don't know. the Subie slide freaks me out. :crazy:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads