Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

:crazy:

2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

LS400.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Doesn't sound like a terrible idea after my adventure on sunday. On the way to a rotation in western mass on sunday night and this happens...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crank pulley sheared off the bolts. I think a belt from the road came up and the metal end got lodged in there and ripped the damn thing out. My damn luck is so terrible right now...

I called insurance and reported it as an accident. I recovered a few of those industrial belts from the area when the massdot worker came by and drove me around for a few minutes to help figure out what was going on.

Do I have to go through the insurance song and dance for evaluating damage etc or can I just call it off? I don't want there to be red flags.... but I also just kinda want to fix this and move on with life. They may give me a rental which would be nice for the upcoming rotation out of town, but this is pretty fixable...

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

For insurance, at least in my experience, you can cancel a claim at any point prior to them writing you a check. This is usually around the time the claims adjuster looks at the damage and gives you an estimate. The only problem is, they give it a once over from a visual standpoint, so if you cancel the claim then find out it will be a lot more $$$, you may be SOL at that point.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I currently have a ton of spare parts in my garage... like enough to put together like 2 engines if I had to. I'm concerned about the damage here, but honestly I'd rather just fix the shit up and and be on my way instead of dealing with insurance. There was no frame damage or anything.

I doubt that they'd do it, but I don't want them to total the car. I also don't want it to sit at a body shop for a year.

I would, however, like the option to get a rental for a bit. I don't mind submitting pictures to the insurance, but this is something I can probably fix over the weekend if things don't get totally fucked.

6. slyguyWT2

slyguyWT2 Well-Known Member

Why not a new 'hoe?

[​IMG]