Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I know that for a while there were chips that one could add to essentially defeat the drive by wire delay. I think my car was an early drive by wire that the manufacturer got right. Neck-snapping pedal response. I know that some manufacturers added a delay to make cars smoother to drive.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If cars get that old, hopefully the gubberment will stop caring about OBD2 checks/emissions as long as cars can pass a sniffer and/or have a cat.

Can always use an aftermarket ecu and take everything over.

My miata ran WAY better with the aftermarket ecu than it did with the stock ecu. Tuning it was a bitch though... like stalling every time I turned the AC on or turned on the headlights bad until I was able to figure out wtf I was doing.

I'll look into it. I think I might have to live with what's available for now. Honestly, I think my first order of business will be to just get better pads front and rear and worry about the other stuff later. I don't have as much time as I'd need to investigate all this stuff and I just want to enjoy the car at this point without spending all my free time chasing issues.

On that note, is there any good way to find a boost leak? I don't think you can use the soapy water spray idea right? It'll just get sucked up under vac. Do folks spray brake/carb cleaner into the intake instead?

I think I have one at the back of the intake manifold and one somewhere close to the inlet of the intake manifold. I can hear them, but obviously can't tell exactly where they're coming from. Car struggles to get into boost but does fine if you gun it (still gets up to 5-6 of 7 psi), but it's not good for the turbo so...

I'll just use brake cleaner. Engine will bog if a leak lets it in. Should be good to get things in the ballpark. Otherwise I'll just start taking things off and putting them back together more securely.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 7:09 PM
  3. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Nooooo. Not brake cleaner. Carb cleaner. The engine will speed up when the carb cleaner gets sucked into the leak area, and thats how you tell. I havent heard of people using brake cleaner for that before. I try to not use much brake cleaner because of the crazy chemicals in it.
    Do you know that a gasket is leaking? Why not just replace it? You dont really need to know where the leak is. That is, unless something is really warped or something. Most of the times you'll be able to see where the leak was when you pull the old gasket off.

4. ridethecliche

Carb cleaner works too lol.

I don't actually know what's leaking. I think I hear something behind the manifold and somewhere in the front. I haven't been able to pinpoint it by myself. I know I'm reading about 2-3 lbs lower of vac in idle, so I need to chase the issue down when I get a minute. If it's a gasket or an interface, I'd probably use silicone around it and let it set overnight.

The reason I need to find the leak is because I think it might be around the IC piping as well.

I feel kinda bad for the car right now. It looks like hell too. My front bumper has needed work for a bit but that damn tire on the garden state parkway pissed it off even more. Didn't see it till it was too late and there was a car next to me so I couldn't swerve. Oh well...

5. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

both are majority alcohol.

what you really need to do, is re-tighten everything you have fitted.
    some things might have torque specs. and like i said, it comes down to experience. your engine was put together like a draft sketch. now redo it for real.

you will get more power and reliability from doing so.

6. ridethecliche

Redo the engine?

Yeah, the plan, when I can spare a few hours, is to go through all the intercooler fittings and adjust and retighten them. This is something that started happening recently so it's likely caused by something getting loose.

7. ridethecliche

Found a leak. Need to show the other to my friend tomorrow.

RTV'ed the fuck out of the gasket/EGR delete I did on there. Letting it sit overnight so the RTV sets. It's on the intake side so it would be kinda bad if it came off and went into the engine. Might ask my friend if I should redo it tomorrow. I should probably have just rtv'ed around the gasket but there's no way to keep it at that only. I put a coat on thinking it would be more resistant to coming apart.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Is there any point to keeping my auto insurance although I've gotten rid of my car and have no plans to replace it? I use car2go from time to time but I understand they have their own coverage

9. ridethecliche

I mean, im sure your insurance appreciates it!

10. otc

otc Senior member

The only reason would be coverage on rental cars. Your credit card probably provides coverage against damage to the car, but nobody provides liability coverage. Your car insurance will provide better collision coverage than the credit card, and will of course have actual liability coverage for damage you do to other people/property.

That being said...at $10-15 a day, adding liability to your rentals will probably cost less than insurance. I looked in to non-owner car insurance a while back and the rates were insane. Sounded like the only people who buy it are repeat drunk drivers who need proof of insurance to get their license reinstated (but can't buy a car without doing so first), so they charge a premium for it. USAA might have a reasonable plan, but I am not eligible for their services.