1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. xpress

xpress Senior member

Redneck chick? LOL

Love the new Z4, and love it even more blacked out.

2. jet

jet Senior member

Blacked out is not a good look.

3. sonick

sonick Senior member

+1

4. domenickb

domenickb Active Member

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

+1

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

To me, blacked out > chrome trim. Chrome trim just doesn't do it for me, that's why I hate the current direction Lexus and Acura is taking but Acura takes it to a whole new level, their chrome trims looks so cheap.

7. apz06

apz06 Well-Known Member

i love the blacked out look. IMO on luxury cars it looks more sophisticated and on sports cars it looks sleek and menacing at the same time. Especially on a car like the z4 thats all ready very sleek looking it would look great. . My vette is currently fully tinted, blacked out lights, de-badged, and black rims

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think it looks meaner blacked out but to each his own.
    [​IMG]

9. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

It does not look terribly bad, but to me it has a cheaper look to it. I do like the wheels, they look great.

~Kurt

10. sonick

sonick Senior member

I respectfully disagree with this. The murdered out look provides no contrast whatsoever, and makes the car look like a big black blob with no discerning features. Especially with rims, I find black rims pointless since you can't tell the design unless it catches the light in the right way, otherwise your $1000/pc rims just disappears into a black hole and looks no better than a spray-bombed set of $89 reps at a glance.

At the same time, overuse of chrome trim can be tacky but not as obviously so as blacked out trim. I'd like to see more use of brushed metal trim.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I'm not even here to defend my car but I think you need glasses bro. Are looking at all these car with black rims in a dark parking garage? Pics does most cars no justice because you can't see the lines and curves that makes the car what it is. I'll use my car as example, the rims are matte gunmetal so it doesn't really blend in with the polished and shiny body of the car. The grill itself is matte too with polished surrounds, provides a distinguishable design there. And that is pretty much the only things I changed unless you actually think the orange reflectors on the side is a visual improvement? To each his own but the reasoning of having a big blob of a car because there is no chrome surround around the grill and you can't see the wheels when there are no light just seems a bit ridiculous.

12. sonick

sonick Senior member

Calm down man, I wasn't talking about your car specifically; just the all-black look in general. My non-preference for the murdered out look is just my personal taste. I was providing explanation for why someone may not prefer the look. Even with the different finishes and gloss, pictures or in real life, I still find the look to be one-note.

My personal design aesthetic in general (cars, clothes, interior design, etc.) is about contrast. For instance gunmetal rims I like since you can still see some semblance of detail in them, but I still much prefer to see them on white cars than black just for that visual contrast.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Why do people always assume I'm mad just because I reply with more than 2 sentences. :lol:

Like I said, i'm not really trying to defend my car (just used it as an example) but just understand your reasoning. We just disagree on the look, it's all subjective anyways so not a big deal. I can understand the contrast but to me, it's still about seeing it person and not just a quick glimpse but actually look at it. Kind of like the Aventador, it can be all black but that design distinction is still there. The lines, the angles, the curves, etc... it's what makes the car what it is. I also like it that black can be subdued or aggressive depending how you look at it. But again, to each his own.

14. apz06

apz06 Well-Known Member

Different strokes for different folks i suppose. I strongly disagree with the black rim blob thing, i think a 7k set of chrome rims just looks "ghetto" or gaudy. .Oh and ferrari and lambo as well as porsche and corvette dont have any ss or chrome trim on em from factory. ive never heard anyone comment on a black lamborghini murcielago as looking like a blob or not having discerning features
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Looks good, I like that the wheels are anthracite and not completely black.

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

im a big fan of blacked out cars, as long as it's not taken to the extreme, aka, tinted tail lights.

17. Berzerk91

Berzerk91 Well-Known Member

I like the blacked out Z4 RFX, wish I saw more of them in NY.

Does anyone in the NYC area know any places to get on a track? Other than Monticello?

18. apz06

apz06 Well-Known Member

road course or drag strip?

19. apz06

apz06 Well-Known Member

yaa i didnt wanna get to nuts either lol. . (the stupid c6r skull was only for an event)
    [​IMG]

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Don't like those tinted tails and headlights either. Aesthetically, I'm pretty much done. Just waiting for a spring that is compatible with the new N20 engine and maybe some tuning here and there to squeeze out more power and a SmartTop.