Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

The American Shoes that I like are not.

Totally of topic, but AEs are not garbage because the United Autoworkers Union isn't involved with them. AE makes a great product for a fair price....no need for quarterly rebates, family plans, 0%, etc. The quality is what makes them desirable.

2. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

LSeca..Now we ARE on the same page...No Support for triple time, insane wages, corporate blk mail and too many other laughable items. But, I still like the American Vehicles. You will not get a pro union argument from me.

3. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

The "America, fuck yeah!" argument is absurd and fallacious. A Honda is more "American" than a number of American vehicles would be at this point, if you want to talk parts/labor/cashflow. It's also an appeal to nationalism that I don't care about or agree with.

If you want to drive around a "stylish truck" then have at it, but no number of magazine awards will outweigh my own opinions to me, having sat in and driven these laughable boxes. Keep it rugged.

so what car do you own?

4. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

LSeca..Now we ARE on the same page...No Support for triple time, insane wages, corporate blk mail and too many other laughable items. But, I still like the American Vehicles. You will not get a pro union argument from me.

Fair enough. I am not looking for an argument friend, I can be opinionated at times and apologize if I offended you or anyone. I actually can't wait for the day that an American car company makes a car I desire.

5. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

so what car do you own?

I drive a '94 Honda Accord EX coupe with a ton of miles on it. The previous owner stripped the interior altogether and upgraded the hell out of it, including a nice sound system. It's sleeper luxury, gets nice mileage, and it's stick shift with a spot of tuning to make it a more fun drive.

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

I must be a moron then again so must Motor Trend Magazine since they named those vehicles the trucks of the year predominately because of "styling, fit, and finish"!

Not commenting on the quality of the SUVs in question or your mental capacity, but Motor Trend COTY awards are generally regarded as a joke in the industry --- you buy them.

--Andre

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Not commenting on the quality of the SUVs in question or your mental capacity, but Motor Trend COTY awards are generally regarded as a joke in the industry --- you buy them.

--Andre

+1000

Jon.

8. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

Look...you can call the awards a joke. They may be. But, the point is that those autos were called f-ing garbage. The bottom line is they ARE NOT f-ing garbage. I am not offended. Everyone is entitled to opinion. I own Caddy and Audi (foreign). The new and even the 05 and 06 models mentioned are pretty groovy rides. You know when I could not afford Aldens I probably used every excuse why they were not worth the money....maybe I could not get over the fact that I was just embarrassed to admit I could not afford them! [​IMG]

9. dirk diggler

10. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Yeah, God forbid that someone who actually produces a product in this society should share in the profits.

Better that all of that money should go to white-collar guys who play on the internet 3 hours a day.

11. dirk diggler

I drive a '94 Honda Accord EX coupe with a ton of miles on it. The previous owner stripped the interior altogether and upgraded the hell out of it, including a nice sound system. It's sleeper luxury, gets nice mileage, and it's stick shift with a spot of tuning to make it a more fun drive.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SS01/702110586

12. dirk diggler

patience Grasshopper - it is coming. Toyota has been paying above UAW wages (not benefits) for years to keep UAW away. Now that its workforce is aging, well, . . . . . . .

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=...TOKEN=91461448

13. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

Funny...I guess I am one of those white collar guys who is actually on the internet ALL DAY.....You see to manage 30+ folks in 4 cities, cater to my 500-1000 clients in say 10 states all while trying to raise my two children while balancing a wife's career I think the internet is a neccessity that lets me breathe..I would not really call it playing. Dirk thanks for the articles. Brother what I could do with an extra THREE HOURS in a day!

14. dirk diggler

quite welcome for the articles. I am not a UAW fan, but I do get sick of all of the bashing of unions. They created the middle class (40 hour week, vacation, employer-paid health care, retirement benefits/401k's, etc.) that so many of us enjoy. Granted, they got greedy in the 1980's and that hurt corporate america, but things are changing. Take a look at the recent Goodyear Tire agreement - the freakin union is now responsible for health care of its retirees! Anyhow, one thing that is not spoken often enough is how the japanese subsidize their companies with state-paid healthcare and retirement benefits. They also manipulate the currency (look at the Germans now complaining about this such the G7 is taking up the issue) and that creates a $3,000/car advantage. Think what could happen with american production if we could roll that $3,000 into the product? Yes, we are doing well, but imagine the possibilities. I also love the "bashers" out there. Ok, I am not saying you have to buy American, but think about where the profits end up. And then think about off-shoring and how your job may end up over in Bangalore India.

15. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

Ah Dirk...I concur my good man. My point is we are trying to get ahead right here in the old USA...it ain't perfect but we gotta make it with what we got?