• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I take that back. Your friend may have gotten shafted. My bill works out to $2500 for a 20' wheel, tire and tpms.
Keep in mind, different wheels have different prices. His alloy wasn't the stock 18" Cayman alloy, it was an extra cost optional 19" alloy from a 997 Turbo (which in its day was the most expensive alloy they offered in 2012). I have optional extra cost 20" Carrera S wheels (which were the lightest they offer) on my Cayman S and I think his Turbo alloy wheels still cost more. Cheers!

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the wheel and tire warranties cover curb rash and **** like that that's your fault?

My warranty says anything caused by a "road hazard' is covered but at the end there is a little bullet that says it covers cosmetic wheel damage. I have the newer oddly brushed surface and painted 18" wheels they offer:

gong

Reaction score
this thread is good incentive to stay away from German cars, forever

gong

Reaction score
play? play what? 4k repairs for a car driven for 5,000 miles is absurd

any japanese performance vehicle can take a wailing on the track, drag strip, or anywhere you select and cost a fraction of that

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

any japanese performance vehicle can take a wailing on the track, drag strip, or anywhere you select and cost a fraction of that

It's not that bad. You know that you are going to replace water pump/thermostat every 65k-ish miles. No timing belts to change, VANOS issues usually pop up around 150k miles or so. Random coil issues every 40k-ish miles but you can get those from Amazon for about 30 bucks each.

The key is finding an indie mechanic once your car is off warranty

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tell that to the Nissan GTR guys who used the launch control to blow their transmission.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

this thread is good incentive to stay away from German cars, forever

A buddy of mine refuses to keep a german car once it's out of warranty, can't say that I blame him. I've had my alternator go out twice, hvac panel replaced, vanos solenoid malfunction. exhaust hangers repeatedly break, door seals falling off, dsc module gone bad, coils gone bad three times, rearview auto dim fail, sub-frame issues, diff gone bad, window switch stop working, xenon bulbs burn out, guibo fall apart, etc. Of course he also drives one of the last manual gallardos now on the weekends.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A buddy of mine refuses to keep a german car once it's out of warranty, can't say that I blame him. I've had my alternator go out twice, hvac panel replaced, vanos solenoid malfunction. exhaust hangers repeatedly break, door seals falling off, dsc module gone bad, coils gone bad three times, rearview auto dim fail, sub-frame issues, diff gone bad, window switch stop working, xenon bulbs burn out, guibo fall apart, etc. Of course he also drives one of the last manual gallardos now on the weekends.

Dang. How many miles on the M?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, but you have to drive a Japanese car, so there's that drawback

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
All this happened from 10k to 80k. Theres about 160 on it now.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All this happened from 10k to 80k. Theres about 160 on it now.

I'd almost assume that risk for the 80k miles if there wasn't anything terrible in between.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American cars are more reliable than Germans ones. But I don't see any of us lining up at the Lincoln dealership Lol.

Let's face it. I love my German cars. And I love my Japanese makes, just for different reasons.

For instance, when I'm running around town on business or just doing home repairs, I don't need to rock an $80,000 ride. But when I am dressed worthy of this forum and want to look good in my personal time, the German cars do it for me.

My dad used to tell us that a man looks better in an old Mercedes or BMW than a new one because of the way the old car has been maintained.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japanese cars are disposable cars. I have one to rack up high miles for work, occasional trips to NYC, when the Mrs. wants to pick up potting soil, plants etc to do gardening, and when I have to go some place where cars could either be dinged with shopping carts, or its just a bad part of town. It serves a purpose, but I've never seen a Japanese car that I thought was beautiful and
which I truly desired to own. Maybe the closest I can think of would be the 1960's Toyota 2000 GT,...although for that kind of money I'd rather have an early 1960s MB 300SL Roadster.

The German cars are for carving up nice winding roads with some of our friends who also have fun German, Italian, or British sports cars. We specifically choose to take longer routes, enjoying the scenery and going out for lunch or dinner at the end of the journey. Either you get owning a German car or you don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads