1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

2. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

2015 S550. Took car with 100 miles on it and put it on dyno and upped the boost to add about a 100 ft lb of torque. 6 rims and 12 tires later I am at 20,000 miles now. Hate the 20" rims. Lease is nearly up and thinking of getting a GLC43 AMG. Tired of sedans, it's my 3rd S and had 2 LSs also in past 15 years. I like my wife's 2016 RX350.
    The small SUV bug is biting me......
    Maybe a Gulia and a GLC43 combo.....
    Undecided.

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Not surprising. Looks like the plugs are $100 online. I assume they did the wires and stuff too? Sucks though - Lexus just charged me $1k for a water pump replacement - should have been like $600, but who's going to argue when it is there and you have no coolant.

4. SirReveller

I've inadvertently become a Chevy family and while I still browse E39 M5s or E93 M3s on the reg I'm more and more just looking at old C6 vettes...the combined parts savings on three domestics would tally up bigly.

5. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Quote:
    Quote:
    Well lads, this morning i went back with a tape measure. all gaps are accurate to within 1 Millimeter. the sills are perfect. and the wear & tear is consistent, no nicer repainted areas. however, the door looks like it has been opened and hit stuff. not perfect, but an honest car. i guess the picture angle gave the impression it was bent.
    i will see what i can do with it after purchase. probably seek out a door, a bumper, and the trunk. which will save days in prep labor to paint it. [​IMG]
    not sure why i pick the unloved cars, like a cat lady with a points card at the abandoned cat home. [​IMG]

but for now? Big news......

The Super Toaster has arrived!!!!!!!!!

pics tonight.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    3 people like this.
  6. SirReveller

"Quality is job...seven."

3 people like this.
  7. Thrift Vader

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Yes, I never learn. Labor was just over $300 and I clocked it at just under 2 hours, including the time it took the lot boy to wash it.

9. Thrift Vader

Mrs V has done E-Thrifted a gorgeous vehicle.

The Toaster. - A 2001 Forester Stb/Sti

This is how it looks after only a wash and wax
    [​IMG]
    The wheels came with it. we will stick on some Rays Versus.rims we have in the shed.

[​IMG]

The Details on this thing.... it is near on perfect. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never used Lighter
    [​IMG]

Never used Ashtray
    t[​IMG]

Never used Tool kit,Jack, and spare Tire. (not shown)
    [​IMG]

has probably never carried a load.
    [​IMG]

26,000 Kilometers. that's around 16,000 Miles.
    [​IMG]

Fresh. . .
    [​IMG]

Never washed Engine bay.
    [​IMG]

I washed it, waxed it, and cleaned the Headlights. that is all. she got a Gem of a car.

for the price of....
    Around $3,500. [​IMG]

Edit:we were going through the books for it and found a shinto temple blessing charm. Meaning it carries the blessing of a Shinto priest. Along with an original dealership purchase sticker from Tokyo Subaru.
    [​IMG]
    Wow.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    11 people like this.
  10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

That Forester is pristine.

The Celsior still looks kind of busted - pristine examples of those not available?

1 person likes this.
  11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

So you got the fozzie right? Cool car.

Wish the STI's were available in the US, but the XT is decent. I'm not a huge fan of cars of that size, but I understand that some folks need them. Some friends here love them too and I don't get it haha. A few have them lowered etc as well...To each their own I guess.

1 person likes this.
  12. Thrift Vader

Thanks! [​IMG]

Nah, a Pristine Celsior is hard to find. they are a fave ride for the scene here. for a Celsior as nice as the Fozzie? i'd be looking at 8k. all day. They are both a Muscle car, and a Limo.

I have the skills. and the tools. to take an honest car, rough around the edges. and make it a head turner. you guys know. so why do i do it? -Taxes, and fees. i am 10k deep into my new business. we just bought the fozzie for the wife. after fees,and taxes. i can only afford to spend 3k. for the whole car. meaning i have to put the overalls back on. and build it. figure it could be badass for 3k.

It has been a long time since i had the freedom to create a car. resto's, customer work. .... This beat up Celsior is no match in the 1/4 mile for the yellow car. and it has neglect written all over it. but it does offer me the chance to enjoy wrenching again. if even on my days off. to do something my way. make some art on wheels. [​IMG]
    you know what i mean, i need this.

Did you get the SF5 as an XT? her fozzie is an STi in trim package. but has a regular St/B 205 engine. backed by an auto.
    still amazed at her score. sure, i pointed her in that direction. but had no idea it was that good.

you do you. it is what makes the scene what it is. your miata will be something special. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  13. ridethecliche

Got the roll bar mostly buttoned up yesterday. I just need to do a few things.

I had to excuse myself halfway through the install when my friend was over to help to go puke my brains out. Food poisoning sucks...

2 people like this.
  14. Thrift Vader

@HRoi I Apologize if i seemed worked up on your quote. please believe, it is not at you. i feel constrained. like so many choices are out of my hands. i trust your opinion. and others.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I didn't take any negative tone from that response - don't worry. I also didn't realize that you have a max budget of 3k.

Most things are fixable but I would stay away from anything that has frame damage, flood damage, electrical issues or rust. No matter how high your skill level, those things will be nightmares. If you're sure that car is fully straight, then I guess it's a legit option.

But body shops are the only ones that can tell you for sure - they'll use lasers to compare the frame against factory tolerances, look under the car to see evidence that the frame's been welded, clamped, or straightened, etc. I'd say take it to your friends in that industry to have it checked out, for your peace of mind

5 people like this.
  16. SirReveller

If any body shop uses lasers you know for damn sure a Jap body shop uses lasers. :p

1 person likes this.
  17. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Found
    On
    Road
    Dead

18. haTTer

haTTer Senior member

[​IMG]
    My Model S 80

4 people like this.
  19. haTTer

haTTer Senior member

[​IMG]

My BMW 8 series

5 people like this.
  20. ridethecliche

I'm beat...

Roll bar is in. Front and rear sway bar are in. Just need to button a few things up and figure out how I'm going to adjust the adjustable endlinks with the car on the ground instead of on jack stands. You have to do it with the car loaded, so lets see how it goes.

1 person likes this.