1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That was last lease. Went back to MB last year.

2. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I guess I can't keep up with you 1%ers.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

4 people like this.
  4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Season 2 Top Gear post Clarkson is pretty good. Much better than the Amazon show.

They fixed the problems, and the show is really enjoyable. Less of the stupid bullshit, more cars.

5. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Thinking of the new Alfa sedan. What's your opinion?

Regards.

6. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

It's Italian, fun and unreliable would be my stereotypical guess

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I'm semi interested in the quadrifoglio. I saw a couple of them and they look and sound great. They look to me like a car that a cool person would drive (not a douchemobile).

The journos are pretty much universal in their praise - apparently it's better than its competitors and has managed to retain the fun factor and driving pleasure that companies like BMW have managed to completely engineer out of their cars. And then they start making jokes at how it'll spend 70% of its time in the shop or start rusting as soon as it's exposed to the outside air.

My wife used to manage a repair shop in Santa Monica in the late 90's, so we're well aware of what kind of shitboxes the previous Alfa offerings in the US were. I think they should take a page from Hyundai and make a big statement about how they stand behind their product, like Hyundai did with the 10 year warranty. But anyway, if she wants to jump in with her next lease, we'd look for a 2-year lease at the max

1 person likes this.
  8. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The Quadrifoglio is a pretty cool option to an M3 or C63. It's probably ok for a lease, but I wouldn't buy one or keep one long term. A high end detail shop had one of their 4C in for a clear bra a few mods. They said the quality and engineering compared to German cars just isn't there. Granted they were talking 4Cs relative to say Caymans/Boxsters and BMWs ...but I'd guess their sedans probably are the same relative to sedans from BMW, MB, Audi etc.

10. Thrift Vader

if you got enough money to buy an alfa?

got enough money to pay somebody to rewire it properly.

when i did the fog lights on a local bartenders car, the wiring was shite to work with.

11. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

To be fair, the 4C is a special animal. Nothing but a Lotus Elise/Exige come close to offering the same combination of price, dynamics and driving experience--and neither of those are sold in the US anymore, nor have a carbon fiber chassis. The carbon chassis alone is so unique and exceptional at $60K, I don't think one can knock the 4C for many of its compromises versus the German competition, as it isn't really competition.

The Quadrifoglio is a totally different endeavor. It's meant to take on BMW, Mercedes, etc., head-on. Not saying that removes all doubt regarding Alfa's questionable history of reliability, but I certainly don't think you can extrapolate much from the 4C.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Fit and finish on Alfas are not as good as the Germans, its true. Interior materials used are not as good, and the Quad they exhibited at the Miami auto show had excessive panel gaps, ffs :laugh:

Now some cars are so great to drive that you don't care that you have shitty switchgear, etc. the original Viper was one of those. Will have to drive the GQ to see if it's one of those

13. Thrift Vader

Thrifted some new shoes for the whip.[​IMG]

Enkei rims for "Syms". with Advan hard compound street tires.
    glad to get them on. [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The 4C is an interesting concept, and yes its carbon fiber chassis is unique at its price point. I can accept that it has some compromises, but honestly, its transmission is clunky and can't compete with PDK in a Boxster or Cayman, and the 4C isn't available with a manual so it couldn't really compete with an Elise/Exige. Not to mention, in a comparison with the Porsche 981S, the 981 was quicker, out handles it, and is better built. That being said, I can understand if someone chose a 4C because they wanted something different. Personally, as the owner of an older Italian sports car I can accept quirky or compromised for a weekend fun car.

However, when it comes to a daily driver, I'd want something well built, dependable, and with a good dealer network. I don't know any modern Alfa owners, but from the few modern Maser owners I've known, they aren't the most reliable or trouble free cars. They just do not have the build quality or engineering that one gets from BMW, MB, Audi etc. Sadly, I doubt Alfa being further down the food chain than Maser will offer a car that can compete with the Germans in terms of engineering and reliability. Not to mention, I have several MB, BMW, and Audi dealers around if i need service or a loaner on short notice. At this point for me, Alfa dealers are few and far between so its not a very convenient option for me. It will be interesting to see how Guilias do here and in the long term...but I have serious doubts about them.

15. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I have doubts about their long term viability too. I like the Giulia and if the closest dealer wasn't a half hour away, I would seriously consider one. But all the things you mention just don't make it practical.

16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I have an Alfa dealer 7 miles away from me so that's a good thing. And on a short term lease the worst that could happen is that I'm wasting lease payments while the car's in the shop (ideally the losses in that scenario are capped by the lemon law).

I just learned, however, that the GQ only comes with an automatic transmission. Not a DCT - a slushbox. Wtf?!

1 person likes this.
  17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Ignoring Alfa's reputation for rust and a lack of reliability, Quadrifoglio seemed like a cool idea in the abstract, since we were looking for a new daily driver for Mrs. Dino. But being in the Northeast the lack of AWD was a big negative, as the Mrs. has to be able to get to the hospital for work even when roads aren't well plowed. When I looked up dealer locations, it was a joke...50 minutes to 75 minutes away (and that's if their is no traffic). Its also a pet peeve when dealers call themselves Alfa Romeo of "Major City X," but they are actually located in a suburb a half hour outside of the named major city. Not to mention, a few of the places they are affiliated with seem small and I can't imagine they have a fleet of loaner cars. With the German car companies, its easy to get a loaner car even with short notice when something happens unexpectedly. So while a cool car in the abstract it was never really in the running for us.

18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I was stuck in a snow bank within 2 minutes of driving my gf's FWD car with new all seasons...
    Having Awd and winter tires has made me completely oblivious to any snow build up on the side of the road. My car legitimately doesn't care about it. I found it incredibly comical that her tires were spinning in place where I could see the ground.

She didn't share my amusement...
    A neighbor with a truck pulled us out in a split second, but... yikes. How do people do this in new england?

19. Thrift Vader

Car thread Brothers, I have some big news. And it's a game changer.

The Guru has finally agreed to build me an engine. :bounce2:

It gets better, the build plan? Rebuild with mostly catalogue STi parts. Including.....
    SUBARU 22-B PISTONS!! He will prepare the block to suit. And strengthen the valve train with new valves and springs. metal head gaskets from Tomei . Building the engine itself to 22-B spec. :drool:

Then, complete fuel system overhaul from SARD, new Clutch, exhaust manifold and down pipe.

His terms? Around 7k. And he gets to choose the ECU. - a HKS V-con. (well, he is Mr HKS)
    Which will run a mafless tune.

No huge power number chasing. Just a long happy life at around 350hp to the wheels. :slayer:
    (car only weighs 1,270 kilograms)

The yellow 4 door 22-B is coming....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    7 people like this.
  20. gong

gong Senior member

they get snow tires

2 people like this.