1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. gong

gong Senior member

i was looking into 335is for a while and read about the e9x ac issues. apparently BMW is on their 4th? evaporator revision. it's a 3k repair if the evaporator goes out.

1 person likes this.
  2. yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Senior member

Would you like any advice??

3. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Fack paying up for a "premium" car that is really a turd.

What's up @ridethecliche?

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Where can you see one?

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I don't know, but I could have sworn it was one here. It was pulling out of a neighborhood here in Raleigh. It had the Tesla looking T on the front, and it wasn't long enough to be a Model S, and it didn't look like an X to me. I guess it could have been an X: I have seen a few of them around here, but it didn't look the same (I don't mind the look of the X and I like the look of the S).

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Just patience haha. I think I asked all the right questions of the guy that build my ecu. I just didn't want to have to cut into the harness, but it seems that's the simplest way.

Just trying to fix the rats nest behind the radio so I can actually use the radio wires to pull power for the gauges.

That's gotta be one of my favorite albums of all time.

7. Thrift Vader

Would be easier to pull power from the cigarette lighter. But hoping you get it done.

Pics would be nice.

8. ridethecliche

I'll take some when I'm working on it this weekend. I really want to get it done, but I started having really bad back spasms on wednesday and they still haven't gone away. Makes doing just about anything miserable. Perfect timing too... right in the middle of finals.

9. yorkshire pud

I'm going to give you some advise anyway :)

After 30years of crawling under dashboards and lifting gearboxes and years of back pain

Do some stretching and warm up before you start working on the car, if it's cold wear thermal underwear :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Thrift Vader

Alright Lads, The Subaru Legacy is dead. and i will pay out her loan on it. which raises a very important question.

What is the best family car on the used market (in japan) for less than $15,000 all in? sub 10k is preferred.
    the challenges-
    her: must be a wagon or hatchback.Automatic. comfortable. and not look like a degenerates car.
    me: recommend 4wd (winter). must be strong. and go for another 40k kilometers at least before serious work. must also be worth spending money on in future

holy shit! lowest mileage SF5 Fozzy up for sale?
    http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/SUBARU/FORESTER/700050522730170217001/index.html

the Fozzy is her pick so far. what do you guys think? [​IMG]

11. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Thanks. The evolution was always on my list of cars to own, at some point. Did you mean the BRZ? GTRs are ~75k used. I sat in all of these at the car show. I'm only 33, but all of them made me feel slightly old, unfortunately. BRZ has a surprisingly nice driving position, even though its a PITA to get in and out of. Nissan Z is pure race car in the Nismo package. But Ultimately, I'm looking for something a little more luxurious than any of these.
    Why s4 over S5? And where does the S3 fit in?

I like the IS F story a lot, and I'm sure it's awesome to drive, but the design the exterior doesn't appeal to me as much as the other cars on the list. I could care less about which badge is on it - if anything I would prefer to not fall exactly into the "lawyer in his BMW, driving like an a-hole" stereotype. The biggest downsides to the Mercs is that they have this HUGE MERCEDES logo on the front that looks like flava flave's clock.

Sitting in a bunch of cars at the car show, I was surprised how much of a preference I had for the Merc and Audi interiors over BMW, Lexus, and Infiniti. This has encouraged me to consider the Audi s3/4/5 and the c63 more heavily than I was before. The CLA AMG 45 4MATIC is now also in the running. It sounds snarly as all hell and gets to 60 in 4.2 seconds, despite having a tiny 4 cylinder 2 litre engine. This review makes it look like it would be pretty great to drive.

Still leaning towards a 2011-2013 M3, in the end. Mainly for the revs, and because it's always been my #1 (practical) dream car, with the C63 a close second. I will post here when I do decide what I'm getting. But in the meantime I'd still like to hear from anyone who owns any of the above cars, which I think we can agree are all awesome.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry to hear about the Legacy ...RIP

That Forester looks like it will fit the bill for what you both want...although it is getting up there in years. Even with low mileage certain things can perish or need replacing, brake lines, fuel lines etc. Although, if the currency converter I used is accurate, buying that one would leave you plenty of money for repairs. Good luck!

We were recently looking for a new daily driver for Mrs. Dino, her 2003 MB C320 Sport 4matic is getting up there in years and mileage 153,000. We looked at the outgoing Audi S5 and it was nice looking and a bargain in terms of price relative to BMW and MBs, but it did feel rather dated. In addition, my wife and I both hated the gray gauges with white numbers. On a bright sunny day there isn't enough contrast and the gauges get sort of washed out. Overall, a nice car and it was reasonably fun to drive, but neither of us felt all that excited owning one. Also, the Audi dealer net work around us sort of sucks, maybe its better where you live. The Audi S3 sedan just seemed too small ...I think its decent looking for a sedan, but its a sedan that's the size of a 2 series BMW. Also depending on the year and engine, of the S5 you may want to see if it has timing chains or belts. A few of our neighbors were pissed off to find that having the stealership change the belts on their Audis was roughly $1,200-1,500 USD depending on the dealership (just something to keep in mind).

We drove some BMWs, and a friend of mine who is huge into BMWs owns an older M3, a recent X5 and a M235i Xdrive. Overall, we liked the BMWs, but the interiors were rather unimpressive considering the cost of the cars. In addition, as someone else here mentioned, over time the BMW interiors really don't seem to hold up as well as an MB, Porsche, or Audi of the same age. Also, if you don't have to have an M3 and you want a relatively fun smaller car, the M235i or later M240i were both entertaining and can be had with Xdrive it you want to use it all year round.

The C63 is a fast car, and I like the interiors...but if you were going to go with a manual transmission M3...to me that would seem like a more involving driving experience. Wishing you luck with whatever you choose.

1 person likes this.
  13. yorkshire pud

I like the S4 Avant, practical fast future family car with AWD (that your Mrs won't make you sell :))

S3 is a nice hot hatch in England (but not as good as the Golf GTI clubsport S or the new Ford Focus RS)

BMW M3s are cool, if you want one get it or you will always have that nagging doubt :)

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The 1-series M is always an option and they seem to be holding their value but like Dino said, BMW interiors of that era are rather boring. It is like they slapped the same thing in every car from the 1-series to the high end X5's (could be other BMWs of the era but haven't sat inside them) which is kind of a let down and can make a car feel less special.

1 person likes this.
  15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

If he wants a high revving screaming engine with a manual and 4 doors/seats, the E90 M3 is his only choice unless he wants to go bigger and get a E60 M5 (do not do this).

I've driven the 1M on street and track and honestly, the motor is nothing special. The chassis is, though, so if you don't mind a little numbness and turbo lag from the motor then I guess it's a good choice

1 person likes this.
  16. ridethecliche

Found these instructions: https://www.flyinmiata.com/support/instructions/misc/shifti.pdf

Dash is apart and I'll get to this tomorrow afternoon for a study break if I can do all the things I wanted to by mid/late afternoon.

I've read that the radio ground is really noisy and shouldn't be used for gauges. Should I just use it? Or is using a ring connector and screwing it into metal behind the radio a better idea?

17. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Completely forgot about the 4dr request. Those 4 door M3s look great but I have never driven one.

1 person likes this.
  18. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Get a Prius. Don't worry about the 4WD, just get a good set of snow tires. I drove my Prius in snow several times this year with new Michelins and it didn't slide, slip, or spin once.

Most major consumer advocate blogs/publications have shown that the Prius has the lowest cost of ownership over the lifetime of the vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  19. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Something tells me TV would never own a Prius.

2 people like this.
  20. Thrift Vader

That is correct. [​IMG]

if you are ok with owning one? power to you. the main reason i wouldn't own one is it is FWD. and FWD is no bueno on ice.

also Hybrids out of warranty are soon to become a huge problem for used car buyers. can't imagine batteries being cheaper than a fuel pump.

but thanks @Connemara for the rec. interested in your long term review of it.

She has chosen the Forester. need to start ordering parts........

already have the cash on the table to pay out her loan on the legacy.
    so she can get into it asap. also have some wheels floating around for it.

and...... i bought her a modest tool kit. so she is never without help. advice is a Line message away.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017