1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Kanye West agrees.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I was semi being facetious. I didn't know it was the toaster that was 'the' lesbian car. Hence the play on the outback, get it... get ittt. Wink wink nudge nudge.

I know the history of the subaru lesbian thing along with the seven sisters for their logo. There was a pretty awesome article about it recently.

https://priceonomics.com/how-an-ad-campaign-made-lesbians-fall-in-love-with/

https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...ns/488042/?utm_source=nyfb&mid=facebook_nymag

2 people like this.
  3. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

My mother refers to her ancient Forester as her "Lezbaru" so, yes, the joke is beyond well known.

5 people like this.
  4. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

I remember some of those old Subaru ads back in the day. It never occurred to me that they were actively marketing to lesbians. That's some subtle but pretty clever advertising.

Also never occurred to me the old VW da da da commercial was for gays. I always figured the 2 guys were just friends or something.

3 people like this.
  5. ridethecliche

This is legitimately a testament to how good the ad campaigns were.

The groups they were targeting realized that they were getting a nod and reacted in kind. All the straight folks that were seeing the ads didn't see them as over the top or even subliminal and everyone who needed to get the message got it.

6. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Well-Known Member

I'm considering buying a fun car for around 40k cdn.

Cars in contention include
    * e90 m3 with around 60-70km
    * 2014 s5 with around 40km
    * 2011ish c63 with 60-90k

If anyone drives one of these models, can you please let me know what you think of your car? Particularly what is bad about it (aside from the obvious fuel expense)?

The car would not be a daily driver. I will be commuting via train most days,since I can work on the train.

7. pravda

pravda Well-Known Member

I enjoy my S5 and I also own the BMW. I love both equally for different reasons. The S5 has a lighter wheel and its more luxurious make sure you get the adaptive variable suspension which is fun. The BMW is stiffer but you can feel the road more like at the track.

If you live in an icy snow area. The Quattro wins over the other two hands down.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. scatterbrain

Thanks! Canada has some brutal winters. I likely won't drive it very much in the snow (if at all) in the first few years, but I likely will eventually. So the S5 has a huge leg up there (along with being significantly newer and still under warranty).

9. yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Well-Known Member

What else is in contention??

Does it need 4 seats??

Open to anything not German??

Do you have an appropriate technician in the local area for whatever brand you pick??

10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I've got the e90 m3. Really difficult to pick out anything major to dislike with it. Its most common criticism is the lack of low end torque, but people who say this miss the point of the car. It's supposed to be a car where you make the power at the top end of its screaming powerband. (Btw if you're one of those people buy the AMG - it's the torque monster muscle car you're looking for)

11. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

So, I get a message from my wife.
    [​IMG]
    "The car is acting weird"..........[​IMG]
    yesterday i get under it, and it is a mess of oil and coolant. gah. when a car spontaneously drops all it's liquids. all fingers point at the Headgaskets.
    though i suspect faulty dealer fitment of the engine and Turbos. either way, i'm going to have to pull this engine out. and build it my own way.

EJ205,206,208 are garbage. (except the S401) got a guy coming over tomorrow who runs an GDB Sti spec-C engine in his legacy. to figure out what parts fit. and if i can simply swap the block and heads, keeping all stock systems/bolt ons. time to finally get my hands dirty with the wife's car. [​IMG] and try to slot a 207 in there with the twin turbo setup.

as of now? the twinturbo leggy is on the bench. [​IMG]

progress updates as it happens. .

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  12. scatterbrain

What else is in contention??
    The three I've listed are most likely options, I think. But I'd test drive others to find out.
    Other possibilities include: Audi S4, Lexus IS F, 2011 Jaguar XK R with high miles(probably unreliable?), Lancer Evolution. Old Cayman S (2006-8). Very old 911 (2003).

I have also considered full-sized cars like an A7, or a 5-series, but I feel like I should get a smaller car now while I can before we need room for kids.

Does it need 4 seats??
    Need? No. But 4 is preferable since we may have kids soon and I don't want to have to give up the car if that happens a year from now. It doesn't have to be four adult-sized seats. But somewhere I can store a kid until they're 5ish.

Open to anything not German??
    Yes, but I like nice interiors, and I think the German interiors seem to stand out as being sleek.

Do you have an appropriate technician in the local area for whatever brand you pick??
    Good point - hadn't considered that. The town we are moving to (that I will commute from) has BMW, Audi, and Mercedes service centres. The city I work in has dealerships from all major manufacturers (including more obscure ones).

Thanks. The screaming engine is a big attraction for me. I've heard of rod bearing issues on the e90/e92. Have you had that issue? I'm coming from a Nissan Sentra SE-R that had 172lb-ft of torque when new, so I think any of the listed options will have enough torque for me.

13. Thrift Vader

^ Lancer Evolution. The cleanest lowest mileage one you can get. Quick family car. Not super expensive to maintain compared to similar cars.

A 2010-2013 Subaru Sti does everything you need.

Nissan Z? GTR's are in your price range also. Probably the most car per dollar you can buy at sub 40k.

1 person likes this.
  14. yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Well-Known Member

I like the Audi S4 better than the S5!!!

The later Lexus ISF with the Torsen diff is a peach and a great competitor to the M3 if people would get past the badge snobbery :)

15. Thrift Vader

Oh lawd Yisss. Seen plenty of M3's and other quick bimmers, but nothing has left me like I'm standing still on the freeway as the new Lexus.
    Those things are next level fast. Because they also handle. And can carry a family with shopping.

Oh. And they are built to last.

2 people like this.
  16. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

Scatter- is the "usedest" of used RS5's outside the budget? You can never go wrong with the (4seater) ultimo. Gets dirty reviews, albeit slushbox only.

17. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

No rod bearing issues in 5 years and 40k miles so far. Had incorrectly adjusted O2 sensors fixed under warranty in the first year of ownership, and nothing but maintenance expenses since. Although that last 40k service includes differential maintenance and it was a little steep.

Oh, the a/c sucks. When it sits for a few days it takes a long time to cool. And the leather shows more wear than its competitors, I feel (but don't know for sure)

1 person likes this.
  18. ridethecliche

I really fucking wish I was better at wiring....

19. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

I saw my first Tesla Model 3 in person today. That is an ugly, cheap looking car.

2 people like this.