1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. otc

otc Senior member

In america we just call those the 2-door and 4-door models.

We aren't entirely convinced that the hatch constitutes a door.

2. yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Senior member

That's a deal, it would cost you that in pounds sterling plus some more to buy one in England.

Watch the options though they add up quick :)

3. yorkshire pud

Yeah, you know what Brits are like :)

If a human can go through it, it's a door.

oddly we never use the word hatch either (apart from hatchback or on a ship) we always say boot for the rear end of a car!!!

We don't use Booty for Ass either (which seems odd to us as you call it a trunk)

It's Arse or Bum in England :)

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Swap seats?

21k for that is honestly a pretty solid price. Bummer it's fwd not awd.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  5. yorkshire pud

Hmmm

The GTI is actually quicker than the Golf R on a track!!

The Clubsport S (FWD) absolutely destroys the R (AWD)

But yeah in real world conditions the extra weight of the Haldex system wouldn't matter
    apart from corrupting the purity of the GTI.

I'm not convinced about the new Focus RS either, the old versions could be awesome if the diff was set up OK.

Unless you drive on snow or gravel a lot I don't think the extra weight or complexity is worth it???

6. ridethecliche

Gong lives in the area that I do I think. We get a decent amount of snow in the winter and black ice is pretty common.
    FWD with winter tires should be adequate, but awd never hurts.

1 person likes this.
  7. otc

otc Senior member

I'd consider AWD because half of the things I might use the car for are things like ski trips or climbing trips...its not necessary but nice to have when driving in on unpaved roads or snow...does it cost much storage space? I haven't been in one since the mk4 R32s, and I can't remember that long ago.

Can you get the GTD over there? I bet I could pick one of those up *cheap* these days.

More torque than an F-150

8. ridethecliche

I think gong's rationale is that the price is pretty good. It's honestly pretty awesome.

I love subaru's but there's no denying that the vw is far more refined.

9. otc

otc Senior member

Meh, I grew up in MN driving my mom's FWD golf (with all season tires).

For normal road driving, AWD is completely overrated. I'd consider buying some snows for a GTI so I could run less all-season tires in the summer...but unless you are making regular trips to ski in VT or something, I can't see why you would really need AWD over FWD.

10. yorkshire pud

Yep GTD is very popular and fairly rapid/refined for a Diesel car however the front CV joints are a bit too weak for that amount of torque :)

Diesels are kind of on the wane over here now as the government is on a mission to clean up the environment, it's more expensive than gas at the pump and they are getting ready to stop them entering city centres!!!

I like the Haldex system but I think it's better suited to fast Audis rather than Golfs

A decent LSD is enough for a hot Hatch :)

1 person likes this.
  11. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Similar to you. I had FWD and RWD growing up in WI. RWD isn't fun in the snow, but FWD worked just fine. My first AWD car is the one I just bought last year, and it is only a marginal improvement on handling in snow/ice. The biggest problem is stopping in my experience, and AWD doesn't help you there.

12. yorkshire pud

Yep I think you could use a GTI for any situation more or less.

It's kind of a poor mans Porsche 911 :)

13. gong

gong Senior member

i want the SE because on top of the leather seats it has the premium audio, fog lights, sunroof, and all of the features of the sport model (LSD, Golf R brakes, +10hp).

yeah i will definitely get snow tires, not worried about losing AWD at all. ill get aftermarket wheels and get some sticky summer rubber to run on those.

going in for the test drive Saturday.

1 person likes this.
  14. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. yorkshire pud

What I would do is keep the standard alloy wheels for your performance tyres so the car looks totally stock.

Then get a set of standard VW steel wheels and mount the winter tyres on them

That way you protect the nice alloys and let the salt and snow eat away at the steels

If the worse happens and you damage a steel wheel on icy roads they will take the punishment a lot better (they just bend) :)

You don't want any outwardly visible aftermarket parts on a GTI they have been honing these things for 40 years to look just right :)

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry, but I live in New England and I disagree . I drove a rear wheel car as a daily for 13 years, a front wheel drive car as a daily for 4 years, and now I've been driving an AWD vehicle as a daily for 12 years and with the winters we get I'd never go back to RWD or FWD. We get lots of snow in the winter and I live in an area with steep hills that I never worry about having to get up regardless of weather. I've been stuck at least 8 times in snow with RWD, I've been stuck with FWD and snow tires at least 3 or 4 times, and also had trouble getting up hills with both. AWD + all seasons...I've driven in blizzard conditions, never been stuck, and never a problem going up steep hills regardless of snow or ice.

So for us, its AWD for winter and dailies, RWD for fun cars...and I don't see much need for FWD cars.

+1 [​IMG]
    Agree completely!!!!

17. yorkshire pud

I just keep snow socks in my car if it gets really bad, I think I have deployed them twice in 10 years.

My FWD Van has winter tyres all year round as part of its lease, they grip well but don't last long.

I doesn't snow that much but it's cold for 4 months :(

18. otc

otc Senior member

No argument on RWD being less than ideal in the snow...unless it is something like a RWD SUV that can go into 4-wd the couple of times a year you might actually need it. Outside of performance vehicles, RWD-only is basically dead technology (except maybe small pickups that don't have room for 4wd or something).

Well, yeah. You were in the UP :)

I won't argue with someone in the UP wanting a vehicle specifically chosen for snow-handling. RWD would be even worse than FWD. I wouldn't question it if you lived in Colorado either. Or maybe you live in a super hilly, far out neighborhood that doesn't get sand and plowing so you know it will be an issue.

But most people simply don't need it. And they generally pay a premium in purchase price, maintenance, and fuel economy for something that only benefits them a handful of times, especially if they avoid the roads in extreme conditions like most good upper midwesterners already know how to do (given the whole AWD doesn't help with handling or braking or other people hitting you thing...)

FWD is a perfectly good design for most "normal" cars.

1 person likes this.
  19. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

So then you are against Subaru?

20. gong

gong Senior member

i live in Massachusetts and for many years got around just fine on a fwd platform that had no stability control and had all season tires. i know many who do the same.

my subaru is equipped with snow tires and the main benefit is really that i don't have to clean around my car to get out of the driveway. my car still slides, braking distance is not great, and what's most dangerous in the winter isn't affected - other drivers.

i can count on one hand the times that the roads here have been completely awful and in those situations, just stay home? (i didn't, and survived just fine in my ill prepared fwd vehicle.)