1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think also part is wheelbase length. I agree that the Z06 is no doubt really stable at high speeds but I don't think it would feel as relaxed in terms of smoothness and comfort. It truly is scary the way my DM does not transmit speed to the interior cabin. I'll go to pass someone on the highway and look down to find I'm doing over 100 in total surprise.

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

It's because the DM has a third of its weight in sound deadening materials :lol:

2 people like this.
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Well, in terms of smoothness and comfort, its usually a trade off - with sports cars so that they have incredible handling with little to no body roll....but they also tend to use very low profile tires with much thinner sidewalls...so you don't have as much cushioning. However, modern sports cars have gotten far better in terms of having chassis's (not sure what the plural of chassis is) that are so good that you don't need a punishingly stiff suspension to have great handling.

Besides, if it would just be a fun car for weekends...maybe giving up some of that majesticly plush ride would be a worth while trade off to have a sports car to put a grin on your face and enjoy carving up the back roads on a beautiful day.

2 people like this.
  4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I should drive this ZO6 and see what the fuss is about

2 people like this.
  5. yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Senior member

6. jet

jet Senior member

When is the mkii coming out and what's sticker? I didn't realize it was coming out so soon just need dat manual gearbox. Man fuck gt4 used ones are going for msrp, my buddy keeps bugging me to get one but the market turns me off.

My buddy is a bmw guy and just got his second corvette, first was an older c5, new one c6 and he loves it. He talked about some valve train bullshit he had to change out due to some factory flaws in order to have long term reliability I think it was the valves and bushings.

1 person likes this.
  7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

There are a very large number of cars missing from that list. It's not credible.

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

That's pretty fucking awesome.

3 people like this.
  9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Talked to my guy while my sister was ordering the Macan and he couldn't tell me yet. I'll ask again when she takes delivery in April but if they follow the 997 lifecycle it will be next year.

I'm not expecting a huge price increase from current because IIRC they've never really hiked the GT3 prices. Actually, they'd better take $5k off because no PDK :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

it doesn't matter what a dudes name is, if he is building/tuning engines that fail? you are better off learning the proper way to do things yourself.
    i know of a Subaru Forum moderator who talked a big game about big hp "Built" ej's. and he was on his 5th engine, with a few of them failing on Startup. "Built by a professional tuner".
    "who the fuck builds your engines??? and how dumb are you for paying him??? more than once???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]
    OMG that gave the lads at the bar a good laugh. i think one of my buddies laughed so hard he cried. [​IMG]

The newest WRX is a 4wd Prius, with a junk motor. from a Toyota.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Afaik matt doesn't build the cars/engines. He tunes them. He does make recommendations for that stuff, but most people I know just go to him to have things tuned.

That name is relevant because he's known as subaru jesus around these parts.

12. yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Senior member

Anything in particular??

It's road legal production cars fastest 100

13. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

indeed, might have seen it pop up on a Subaru forum. and you missed the point of my statement. Forums are small ponds. especially for single makes of car. being the only Wizard in town doesn't make you Michael Jordan. (double pun) He might be very good. and my point was not to call out an individual, rather to infer you take responsibility for tuning into your own hands.
    a responsible tuner knows a car inside out, and will understand it's capability before turning it up. or tell you what you need to do before he even opens the laptop. engines don't pop if both the owner, and tuner are on the same page. and in the end, the fingers get pointed at the tuner. so therefore, never get tuned buy a guy who can't wrench.
    if a guy can hand assemble an engine,- select the parts with a goal in mind. put it together, and then tune it? they will put their rep on the line for it. and you can bet the house, that they will make good reliable power, and not pop. what i'm also saying is: a lot of car forum guys are not mechanics. and will go to the popular guy. forget what you heard, talk to a race team engineer if you get the chance. ask what they recommend.

that said, knowing the software doesn't mean the car can handle your inputs, and just because a guy calls himself an engine builder (hey, it's not complicated) doesn't mean they follow procedures to factory spec, correctly aligning valvetrains, and torquing all bolts to spec. mix the two? = a hefty waste of time and money. the term "built engine" for me is a walk. will never buy a random car with one, or one that isn't tuned/hand assembled by someone who's skills i am in awe of.
    and of all the Wizards i know? only 1 would i give the keys to. serious. just 1. you need to find a guy of the same level.or do your research,and be that guy. [​IMG]

which @ridethecliche , i believe you can.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  14. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

I see an E63 in Piob's future

1 person likes this.
  15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

He commutes nearly 200 miles daily round trip during the week so he said his commuter car needs to be fast and fun. With modest amounts of snow he takes the rubber lower lip off the front spoiler of his Turbo and drives it to work. He just had the engine rebuilt and the turbos replaced about 2 years ago when the car had about 390,000+ miles on it. Below is an advertisement the independent shop where he brings it for service was running in the regional PCA magazine last year (showing his odometer).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

An MB E sedan? Or is that a BMW of some sort?

17. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

MB, they make an AMG E wagon, too, but that's not everybody's cup of tea.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think this year the E AMG is an E43. Damn CAFE.

19. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

E63 AMG is going to be released late 2017. At least the sedan version will be. I'm not sure when the wagon is hitting the US.

20. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

2 people like this.