1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

O.P lives in New England.

2. gong

gong Senior member

i was looking forward to your post. i did some research into legacy's after you had mentioned your wives twin turbo one but i would prefer not to have to do an engine swap right away. if that was the case i was looking into the direction of a EG33 into an impreza chassis. my budget is peasant level and i would fear tracking a turbo Subaru (i daily a turbo Subaru right now.)

i follow speed academy on youtube and they built a pretty skanky S2000 into a very capable track car and documented all of it. they're at itbs now. i looked over the s2ki forums and as i imagined they're quite pricey here, and rust is a concern. convertible isn't my thing but this wouldn't be my only car, just for the warmer months.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. Thrift Vader

peasant level? half cut wins. swap a complete kit. modded cars are cheap. bonus is parts.
    no need to right away. but nothing has the power and handling out of the box in the budget.
    trust me. next choice in the morning. or.

if you lived in Canada, you could just buy my car.
    [​IMG]

some Subaru's are shite. some are badass.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Why no love for the 2zz swapped MR2 :/

5. Thrift Vader

because the 3sge "Beams" engine, or the 4age supercharged engine are both better.
    first thought was MR2.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I live there too, and I've owned a convertible and a Targa, which I still have for spring/summer months. If garage space allowed, I'd probably add another convertible for spring summer. Beside the OP could get the optional hardtop.

If a convertible isn't your thing...consider getting one with the optional hard top. I didn't know rust would be an issue with S2000s are its still a relatively modern car. TBH, none of the guys at our meets have ever expressed concerns about rust. Anyway, wish you luck with your summer fun car.

7. yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Senior member

8. ridethecliche

I mean he said no miata but... miatas have hard tops too ya know. Can make it a dedicated coupe and delete the soft top.

They're popular track cars for a reason... they're pretty inexpensive to buy and own and not so hard to fix or get parts if things break.

9. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Can we turn this back into the Euro BJ thread? Porsche just updated the GTS and you can get it in a 7-speed manual with RWD. 450hp, 406tq. I'll have mine in Mexico Blue please. I've loved every version of the GTS and it would be my choice if I were to pick up a Porsche at some point.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

AFAIK they are a dime a dozen in the mid Atlantic area

Edit: Maybe not. E36s have become the dime a dozen BMWs

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I drove a few 991S models on a track a few months ago and they were a lot of fun (even though they were equipped with PDK). I haven't a 991/911 with their 7 speed manual. A friend who has one said, he never goes fast enough to use 7th gear. My favorite part of the GTS package for the 991 is that if you get the Targa, now the Targa bar is black, which makes it look more like the vintage 911SC and 911 Carreras of the late 70's and 80s from when I was a kid.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Turbo made it worse. Not slower, not a worse sports car or GT. But still worse

13. yorkshire pud

I noticed they had back-pedalled a bit regarding the end of manual gearboxes and clutch pedals when they announced the 911R Great looking car and giving customers what they want. Great article in EVO magazine, where it won car of the year followed by....,,,,,,,,,,in second place...............VW Golf GTI clubsport S (also available in manual) :)

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Definitely some back pedaling, with the R and talk of the GT3 or GT3RS possibly becoming available with a manual again.

Still, on a car like the GTS, unless a customer specifically orders one with a manual I'd guess almost all the dealers will spec them with PDK transmissions. Most dealers say with the exception of very focused products like Cayman GT4 or 911R its too hard to move cars with manual transmissions so they don't order them that way. Still its nice to know its there if someone chooses to order it that way.

15. yorkshire pud

It's good when a manufacturer actually acknowledges what drivers want I think.

I'm sure the engineers are dumbfounded that customers would want a marginally slower car than they can ultimately produce with PDK and aero parts.

Respect to Porsche for doing the 911R it's just a perfect sports car with all their heritage kind of packed into it in my humble eyes

I'm pretty sure they looked at what Singer in California were doing :)

3 people like this.
  16. ridethecliche

Nemo, I know that this is what I want to do. I've seen weird glimmers of interest over the last year. It wasn't like the drudge that comes along with working etc. It affected other areas of my life more than I realized until I started taking meds. And yeah, there's a decent chance I'd take a trip or go do a roadtrip this summer if things pan out. I'm probably going to take some time to finish building the car up and spend some time alone getting it working and driving it around and visiting family before holing up again.

Had a meeting with one of the directors of the main course today and talked to him for about an hour. Even when I've been in an unfortunate circumstance, I've been pretty lucky to have pretty fantastic people available to me. We talked for atleast an hour and the conclusion was basically that we were both sure that I could pass, but how does 'just passing' affect my future goals and practice and how does it play a role in putting together the foundation for the rest of my education. He talked a lot about how he has seen everyone from medical students, to residents, to fellows, to attendings try to get through things without the full foundation they needed and how they're always kind of chasing their tail to some degree.

I honestly don't think I made the connections I wanted to make in the material this year. I have spent the last year staring at everything I'm doing through a haze and it is blowing my mind how much more quickly I'm able to understand something or how much longer it takes me to get lost. We both agreed that given how things have gone for both classes this year, my dedicated period would involve a significant amount of time devoted to making sure I had learned all the stuff that is supposed to be fresh from this year. We agreed that it was essentially akin to cramming for the boards.

Part of me knows that I can do this given how I feel, but I'm not sure I can rely on that feeling lasting. I feel like this entire plan is predicated on a schedule and plan working perfectly without any wiggle room for error, or getting sick, or needing a few more days to get something down, or the scariest of all of these... the haze returning for a bit.

Yesterday I felt like I'd made a decision to stay the course and now I'm second myself after talking to someone that I trust and respect.

Thanks Dino!

There's always stuff to learn, but the way you learn is very different. I've heard that as well, re: the last two years being easier. I've heard everyone say that they're a lot more fun. Here's to hoping!

1 person likes this.
  17. yorkshire pud

I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts about cars this week. It's interesting for me to see the Brand loyalty and the reasoning behind individuals choices.

I've worked in the automotive industry for a long time.

For me I like all cars, even the crappy unloved ones. I always seem to able to find something about them that I enjoy.

The Miata: It's a reliable Lotus Elan

Subarus: Low centre of gravity and symmetrical 4x4

Porsche: I like that they stubbornly stick to the rear engine layout despite the competition

Hondas: I love those vtec motors

Citroens: I just like that they do crazy French shit and occasionally stumble into genius

:)

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Porsche customers voted with their wallets. Andreas and the GT division got a metric shitload of feedback about the move from manual, but I'm sure they also noted the meteoric rise in 997 GT3 prices, the success of the GT4, and the number of 991 GT3 owners who traded their cars in for GT4's

19. yorkshire pud

Yep I would agree with that.

It's got to be tough deciding how cutting edge or retro to go on your "flagship" production car with a 50+ year history though. I'm sure everyone has a slightly different idea of a perfect 911.

The 911R is very cool fast road car

But I totally get why people love the more extreme track orientated cars too

I love them all really but I'm really liking the slightly retro stuff like the latest Targa

20. ridethecliche

You probably missed this because you're new to this thread, but I daily a 2002 Impreza Wagon and also have a miata that was bought after lots of crowd sourcing with this thread. It's my first manual and it's a blast.

It's getting a makeover right now. Maintenance stuff is almost done and then the next step is engine management, then boost. Have almost all the parts already.