Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

that's not totally true. That's only for the hardtop (which is INCREDIBLY heavy and awkward) but the soft top is perfectly simple to raise on your own. hell, ours doesn't even leak! not too shabby for a 43 year old car.
    I was referring to the hard top.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have a 380SL, and I've never removed the hard-top.

The hard-top is essentially a removable roof made out of the same steel and glass as the rest of the car. Those climate control systems can be pricey to fix if they go wrong--I paid $700 to have the air conditioner fixed.

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

[​IMG]

What a gorgeous driveway. Not to mention the car..

Coolest driveway every!

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I bought a new Infiniti FX35 at the end of 08 and couldn't be more pleased with the vehicle. It combined the practicality of an SUV with sport sedan handling. Sadly, I just got stuck w/a company car and just can't justify keeping the Infiniti. While a new Ford Taurus is a nice benefit, it's far from fun to drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Very nice. I drove by one that looked pretty good on a used car lot this past weekend and briefly fantasized about it. Sadly I have neither the time to maintain one myself nor the money to pay someone else to do it for me.

Well, mine is still pretty rough. It's a lot of fun to drive, though! Right now we're in the middle of trying to get it to run with a pair of Dellorto carbs and a hotter cam. It's proving to be a little more finicky than we expected. Once we get the rest of the mechanicals dialed I'll start on the cosmetics.

It's running! And the new cam and carbs definitely provide a boost in power. It's really fun to drive, but you can pretty much watch the fuel needle drop when you put the pedal to the floor. [​IMG] That's one of the drawbacks to a 12-gallon tank, I guess.

So now it's time to start working on how the car looks. I'll start with the exterior, then move on to the interior once that gets finished. In any event, I'm thrilled to be driving it again.

6. Aldehyde

Aldehyde Senior member

My collection

[​IMG]

Great combo, especially the Jag. Love that color. Is it a 2+2 or coupe? Flat floor?

Bravo!

7. Kai

Kai Senior member

Great combo, especially the Jag. Love that color. Is it a 2+2 or coupe? Flat floor?

Bravo!

Both very lustful vehicles.

8. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

that's not totally true. That's only for the hardtop (which is INCREDIBLY heavy and awkward) but the soft top is perfectly simple to raise on your own. hell, ours doesn't even leak! not too shabby for a 43 year old car.

I have a 380SL, and I've never removed the hard-top.

The hard-top is essentially a removable roof made out of the same steel and glass as the rest of the car. Those climate control systems can be pricey to fix if they go wrong--I paid $700 to have the air conditioner fixed.

I used to have a 1989 560SL. It was a great car, but with two young kids and no back seat, I wound up driving it by myself most of the time. So I sold it and bought my 330CiC ZHP, which I still have and plan to have until the wheels fall off.

I found the SL's hardtop to be a great thing to have during the winter. It fit perfectly and made the car as quiet as a normal coupe. It was sort of heavy, but my wife and I could lift it off and carry it easily. Once it was on and locked down, it was very solid and didn't rattle or leak at all. The W107 SLs were built with a tremendous amount of care. Mine was 16 years old when I sold it, and the engine was still so tight that there were several emissions measures where it blew a zero--no measurable particulates at all. Plus it had tons of low-end power and got up and moved without any complaints, although it was a heavy beast and not the best-handling car ever made.

9. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

My collection

1994 Rover D90- Daily Driver

1965- Jaguar E-type- Weekend Driver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: Ive tried to resize that first pic like a dozen times, sorry for its size, ill try again later.

I've always loved the D90. I'm not a big fan of the E-type, but I realize that I'm in the definite minority on that one.

10. Please Respond

Please Respond Well-Known Member

My babies..

[​IMG]

(The 993 is not a turbo rather a naturally aspirated C2S with original factory aero kit)

11. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

^ Very nice, but do you really need a lift?

12. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

well as much as you'd need to porsches i'd imagine. They're both beautiful PR!

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

The p-cars look good, I like both of them.

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

My babies..

[​IMG]

(The 993 is not a turbo rather a naturally aspirated C2S with original factory aero kit)

Nice

15. Please Respond

Please Respond Well-Known Member

^ Very nice, but do you really need a lift?

My house has 3 garage bays. When I installed the lift (surprisingly affordable), I was married. I had my daily driver, the two 911's, my wife's car and the motorcycle. Basically, I turned a 3 car garage into a 4 car garage plus a full sized cruiser and that's pretty clutch in an area where parking (especially indoor) can be tricky.

So yeah, it was a pretty good decision.

Now that I don't have to worry about a wife car anymore, I still make use of the lift. My brother is also storing his motorcycle here so I have both strapped down on the lift, 993 below them. Middle bay houses my daily driver and right bay has the Turbo.