1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Senior member

I kind of admire your friends dedication, he must really enjoy owning his Lotus.

I have got a Honda engine and gearbox tucked away :)

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I have a friend that uses an Elise, last generation, as his daily. It's yellow, looks sharp, and is only marginally faster 0-60 than my behemoth. Do not get for daily driving.

3. yorkshire pud

If I lived somewhere sunny and didn't have to use the ridiculous roof I would probably own one :)

4. gong

gong Senior member

i have played with the idea of getting an eg Honda hatchback and swapping in a k20 or k24, but i think id have more fun learning/driving rwd. i realize that limits its use however.

my budget isn't huge so tracking a Porsche isn't a possiblity really. a s2000 is definitely an alluring option, tough finding an AP1 or any S2000 really. i know at least bushings, coilovers, and tires are going to set me back a bit so im trying to budget that in.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

It's kind of hard to explain this, but the first two years of school are completely unlike the rest. It's entirely book learning.

The books don't ever go away, but you learn a lot more from people and cases as time goes on.

I'm leaning towards riding out this year and banking on the extra time helping. I can apparently extend and add a year down the road if I have to, but this allows me to try to work something else out first.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. mimo

mimo Senior member

RTC, do you want to be a doctor? It might be a stupid question, but walking out into the cold air and asking yourself seriously, might straighten a few things out in your head.

If the answer is "yes", then I'm with the consensus on taking a year: the other way you suggested would be sensible if you issue were just that you are a little behind and need some extra study time. But taking that route puts a new set of deadlines on you and doesn't, I suspect, give you quite enough room to breathe.

If you are taking the year, go and do something completely different for a couple of months somewhere. Seems like the walls are just closing in a bit and you need a walk in the wind, a bucket of water over your head and a kick up the arse. Take it, it will do you good. :)

OK, car question: it's possible I will move back to the UK this year, land of expensive petrol, no money, tiny parking spaces and oppressive urban speed cameras. I would want a car with very good fuel economy, comfortable for five normal-sized people, but without every drop of joy squeezed out of it. Best combination I can see is a recent diesel M-Sport 5 Series. Anything older and cheaper that meets the criteria?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  7. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Brace yourself. . . . .

1 person likes this.
  8. yorkshire pud

Bit of a minefield Diesels at the moment :(

1. It's been decided they are the main culprits in polluting our cities, and I would imagine punitive measures are being prepared.

2. If you buy a used one that's accidentally been filled with petrol and then driven (not as rare as you would think) at some point down the line it may need a fuel pump and injectors
    (Very expensive)

3. Diesel is more expensive to buy at the pump, so a lot of people are fitting LPG systems to thirsty petrols

4. The latest trend is to put small capacity Turbo engines into average size cars, for example the Ford Focus Ecoboost has a 1.0 litre engine!!! and VAG are using a 1.4 TFSI motor in Golf sized platforms.

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

OK, so which one's good? And a Focus is possibly one size too small. You're right that diesel is going a little out of fashion, and given London's rising NOx and particulate levels, I agree we can expect some duty and fuel cost rises. I'll keep an open mind. Though LPG I find irrationally terrifying.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. yorkshire pud

That 5 series/E class sector is a tough one because nearly all of them will be Diesel as that's what has been encouraged by the tax man over the past 10 years.

If I were looking for a 5 series, I would probably go for an Alpina, they tend to be owned by enthusiasts who are more careful and look after them like a baby, still a drivers car but luxe at the same time :)

1 person likes this.
  11. Thrift Vader

@gong from your posts, it reads to me like you are needing a car that can hold it's own on the track. and still get you from A to B. more importantly, a "Build it while you Drive it" car.

so let's get into it. don't laugh, here is my first suggestion.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/5954130497.html

Pros: This is already a 5spd car. which has the dash gauges, and clutch setup. meaning it has the bare bones of a Monster.
    The JDM Legacy B4 205 single turbo, RSK 206 twin turbo, and the EJ 207 block from an STi can fit straight in. using the forged internal block and all legacy bolt ons if you wanted to do that. also being a Manual, not only would the B4/RSK 5spd bolt right in. you can also use the V5/V6 Sti gearbox featuring strengthened gears and short ratios.
    -essentially a complete half cut with a few choice add ons. can have a leggy holding it's own. the OEM Brembo packages available used make stopping power affordable. bang for buck, nothing beats a manual legacy.

(i can personally organize a half cut, and any parts you would need extra) google legacy B4 or RSK to see what i have in mind.

Cons: it WILL have some rust around the rear arches, with some small areas to take care of. 1st mod after purchase would be to have the arches sorted, put it on a lift, and heal any rust spots, then paint the underbody with proper chassis paint from front to back. and along the lower sills behind the side skirts, where water sits around the clips. nothing major. except the arches. but the peace of mind is worth it when starting a track day street car build.

the only thing funny about it is how it looks not as fast as it is. [​IMG]
    @300 to 400hp. all in cost would be around 10k. plus fine tweaks.

1 person likes this.
  12. mimo

mimo Senior member

I'm not looking for a 5 series per se, I'm looking for a medium sized saloon that does great mileage and isn't crushingly slow, and affordable with reasonable mileage. I don't think I'll find an Alpina that ticks the mileage box. 3 Series gives a lot of options, but very small in the back.

A quick search on Autotrader:

- Under £10k
    - Under 50,000 miles
    - Fuel efficiency better than 40mpg
    - 4 doors
    - 0-60 under 8 seconds

Results:

A couple of Saab 9-3s
    A couple of Volvo S60s just about - diesel or small turbo petrol
    And some one-offs, I'm guessing belonging to old gits who don't drive and keep the car for years:
    E320 (2004)
    530D (2007)
    Jag XF 3.0D (2010) - quite surprised at that one

(Loads of 3 Series, C class etc of course)

The Saab actually gets 50mpg. If I went down a little in size to a hatchback, or a 3 Series, 50mpg and better performance has plenty of options. But I'd like to be able to stack my three teenagers and wife in relative comfort now and again.

Anyway, it hasn't happened yet. I'll stop worrying, and enjoy the 6.2l V8 while I can!

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Audi RS6 Avant! And the hell with gas mileage #yolo

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Also - in before thrift tells you to get a Subaru :lol:

4 people like this.
  15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

@mimo - Watch model years on some of those cars. You don't want a cheap, early in the generation E-class (W211). We have a 2008 and it runs great as they sorted out the bugs but a 2004 would put you in the 2nd model year where all the bugs may not have been worked out. Really depends on how the owner maintained it though. Under 50K miles on a 13 year old family car seems too good to be true.

16. yorkshire pud

Wild card options: might be a VW Golf plus it would fill all your criteria including rear space

Or a Nissan Qashqai (which is super popular and loads of lightly used ex motability knocking around)

Saab's are Ok if you like GM products and vauxhall can supply most service parts although some specific parts will be expensive

Volvos are super dependable in my experience (the Police love them)

17. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Why not a 5 door or estate that increases the choice on Autotrader almost tenfold. If you want to spoil the children with space there are VW Phaetons kicking around just under and over your target price.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A few of the guys who come to our local Cars & Coffee meets in MA, own S2000s and they really love them. Some guys have cars that are basically showroom stock, but a few guys have some heavily modded S2000s and I think a few of them track the cars and do a lot of S2000 club events. The S2000 owners have a lot of passion for their cars. You may want to check some of the S2000 specific forums like http://www.s2ki.com/forums/ That forum has a New England Specific subsection if you wanted to meet local owners. Below is a photo of a few of the S2000s at one of our meets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, I'm aware that the first 2 years are all book learning and the last 2 years are largely clinical, although there is always book stuff to know and learn. My Dad is a retired physician. He thought if you make it through the first 2 years the last two years are much easier. Anyway, wishing you luck with whatever you decide. [​IMG]

I'd nix the Saabs unless you really love them. A guy I worked with years ago loved them and kept buying them, but once he he had several years and several thousand miles on them, they were always having quirky problems that were expensive to fix. I remember hearing him complaining about quotes for $1,850 and $2K or so to fix various issues with them.

2 people like this.
  19. Thrift Vader

show me a vid of a S2000 smashing a Subaru in any arena and i will post a worshipping gif.

next choice is a Honda though.

20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I don't have a video...but unless you take a acetylene torch to a Subie roof, an S2000 smashes Subarus in the arena of open air motoring experiences [​IMG]

Going fast can be fun, but maybe having a nice 2 seater convertible is something the OP would really enjoy in nice weather, on the track and off.