1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I've had three. But I will admit to a certain lack of imagination [​IMG]

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm all for liberty but Harley Davidson's are testing my limits.

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Ear plugs are a good idea for bikers in general. But the straight/loud pipes or fart-can thing always seems counterproductive to me, whether it's a bike or a car: very unlikely to make a meaningful improvement to performance, yet a magnet to cops, irritation to others (who might also laugh at you), and damaging your own hearing.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

A good coworker of mine has a loud ass Harley in stock form. He got some exhaust modification to make it even louder.

I never understood why.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

There is the "loud pipes save lives" thought where if your bike is loud enough, people will know you are there and not drive their car into you. From personal experience, cars are oblivious to any loud noises because people seem to have stop pulling over for emergency vehicles.

2 people like this.
  6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Mine ended up being loud enough, with a baffle mind you, that even the plugs didn't help as much as they should have. My right ear always hurt after rides. It was ridic.

7. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

My car is loud. Like Jurassic park T-Rex loud. But that's a good thing. When i reverse out of my son's day care? I can be sure no families are walking around it. People hear it coming. And going. :slayer:
    -And driving a few blocks away. :p

@Rtc. Correct me if i am wrong. But these should fit your car and look great. 17x7 114.3 +35?

[​IMG]
    $180.

Checked them out while getting the front struts swapped on the Leggy.
    -i paid somebody because i ain't working outside at -7degrees C. For 3 hours, freezing my fingers off. :lol:

8. ridethecliche

Those wheels belong on a civic.

9. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Hehe, they probably do. Not too many base Civics 'round here though.

How did the deal on those nice rims go?

10. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

White Porshes Matter

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Loud within certain limits is fun and fine. Yes, one way to look at having an really loud car is that it warns others of your presence. However, depending on how loud you car is, can you hear others around you? If someone honked their horn or yelled for you to stop could you hear them before you hit someone or something? In addition, based the kind of loudness you are describing, you may be damaging your hearing and maybe your son's hearing too. Hopefully that's not the case, but its something to consider with super loud exhausts.

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

13. jet

jet Senior member

Love loud exhaust on a proper car, unfortunately not very many of them around. Best was vralexander's straight pipes on his cgt rolling around LA and scaring the shit out of unsuspecting people, now that was a treat.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Do not like overly loud vehicles...to include stereos. Thank god the Kicker fad seems to have faded.

15. ridethecliche

He was firm on 500. I told him that I thought 400 was a good deal, 450 was fair, and 500 was meh.

The wheels themselves are currently selling for 100-120 each and the tires are 250. Tires have half their life left.

The way I see it, I wouldn't really pay that much for used wheels and tires that are readily available since that's honestly not much of a discount from new at 500. He just messaged me back saying that he'd do 450. I think that's pretty reasonable since all said and done, new tires on my terrible wheels will cost atleast 200-250. This way I'm getting solid wheels with good tires for only 200 bucks more. The car is a fair weather car, so I think those wheels will last me atleast 3-4 years.

I'm definitely looking forward to smoking the hell out of the current tires on the ugly wheels before switching to the nice ones.

I think I might go and get them late this year or early next year.

So from my new thoughts on the matter:
    -price to boost a miata is about 3000 when coupled with a lot of the necessary maintenance and buying ebay/etc parts and lots of used things.
    -price to do all the above is probably close to 4k if you spend a bit more and get better parts and get new parts for things that are crucial.
    -price to do all the above well and also do things like adding a roll bar with harness bar, racing seats, wheels, suspension, DIY hood vents, bigger front brakes to fix the balance, and related, ends up being closer to 5-5.5k. Probably a bit more if you have a very well regarded tuner put it up on the dyno and put a fun but reliable tune on it.

I'm completely cognizant of how stupid of a decision this is, but I'll be damned if I don't. I'd bloody sell the subaru and get a hard top and a winter wheel/tire set for this car before I sold it at this point.

1 person likes this.
  16. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

What about exhaust whistles?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

lmao classic vid