• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It goes off and on though, when before repair it was a constant on. It looks like it's storing the code and it keeps giving it a reason to show it. I think I'll be able to get the code read to see what's going on. 

It wouldn't actually be 'storing' the code. The ECU system will be trying to reset the warning every so often (starts or ignition on time) to get rid of any spurious warnings. If it keeps coming back, then it's likely an actual issue and not just the mechanic forgetting to reset the warning. I had a similar problem on a 2001 Sentra with the charcoal canister. I had an OBD II cable and could reset it, or wait for the ECU to reset it and the warning would invariably come up again.

Last edited:

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adding another car to the mix. Currently have a Q7, but shopping something a bit cheaper. Between the Q5, Jeep Grand Cherokee limited and possibly a QX60. Any thoughts on the Jeep? Q5 is the 2.0 4 cylinder.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Adding another car to the mix. Currently have a Q7, but shopping something a bit cheaper. Between the Q5, Jeep Grand Cherokee limited and possibly a QX60. Any thoughts on the Jeep? Q5 is the 2.0 4 cylinder.

When we tested the Q5 for Mrs. Piob a couple of years ago I thought it was a fine vehicle just a little small and a tad underpowered. When we drove the Infiniti the size and power were fine but the fit and finish didn't seem to match up to the other members in that class. Sorry, haven't driven the Jeep.

How about tossing the Volvo XC60 into the mix? That's a nice looking smaller SUV/crossover from a quality maker.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Piob,

Forgot to mention that one as well, going to get some numbers on that and drive it soon. Keeping the Q7 for schlepping, but wanted a smaller, more reasonable station (ish) car. Jeep is intriguing for the $$$/ride. Oddly enough, set out for the Wrangler as the fun car, but way overpriced.

deepitm

Reaction score

When we tested the Q5 for Mrs. Piob a couple of years ago I thought it was a fine vehicle just a little small and a tad underpowered.

Agree with @Piobaire here. I can see it being a fairly good "city SUV" and is quite popular here in Chicago. I have a relative who owns the 2.0 liter. Personally, I like the oomph of their 6 cylinder more (I think they do a 3.0 now? Used to be a 3.2). The SQ5 really shines, but at that price, you might as well get a Macan or that Volvo XC90. Seriously don't even drive the SQ5 because the regular Q5 will be a disappointment afterwards.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Piob,

Forgot to mention that one as well, going to get some numbers on that and drive it soon. Keeping the Q7 for schlepping, but wanted a smaller, more reasonable station (ish) car. Jeep is intriguing for the $$$/ride. Oddly enough, set out for the Wrangler as the fun car, but way overpriced.

Why not the Car & Driver darling CX-5, fully loaded with AWD is still reasonable. I talked my girlfriend's parents into checking it out this weekend as a part of their new car shopping. A little down on power but with the lighter weight construction will still do the 0-60 in 7.7s. I believe the Q5 2.0 does a 7.0, but for a sensible DD I think the difference is negligible. I also dig the styling and the 2016 has a redone interior.

Mon Dieu

Reaction score

Have had 2 Q5's both six's current one is a SQ5 (waiting for RS lol) get the 2.0's as loaners during service. Like them both they preform well and are a good town/city car, fit/finish are great.

Side note on the S, it came with 21" wheels/tires=winter tire package $$

Enjoy

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeep Grand Cherokee limited and possibly a QX60. Any thoughts on the Jeep?

I've always heard bad things about build quality with Jeep, especially after like 2009 or so. That and they are also usually on the bottom for reliability on consumer reports. I really want to like Jeep, especially the diesel ones, but I'm not rolling the dice on them.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have recently become a fan of the Macan. Try it out if you don't like GF's idea of the AMG 6x6

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Macan might be a little.. ostentatious, so to speak.

I think he's looking for something a little more practical and understated. I think a Bugatti Veyron Pur Sang could fit the bill. If that doesn't work, perhaps a gently used 1997 Honda Oddysey?

Beckwith, DM me if you need the hookup to get into a Ferrari FXX K.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say after car shopping in November, I am disappointed in the CX-5 and XC60. I really wanted to like the Volvo but the interior left a lot to be desired and the more I look at a CX-5, the less I like it from an exterior perspective. I think the XC90 was refreshed for this model year and the XC60 will get it soon which may be why the XC60 felt slightly dated. I have never checked out a Q5 but the SQ5 looks really good from the few I have seen driving around.

After driving the 2.5 Outback for a while, some days I feel like I should have bought a 3.6 and other days I am not too worried about the power. The problem with the 3.6 is that they don't make a lot and we would have had to wait for a January allocation and may have not had a choice on color.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M3/M4 Competition Package - 14 more HP, chrome trim blacked out on the outside, more M stitching on the inside, and hideous wheels:

http://jalopnik.com/the-seat-belts-are-the-coolest-part-of-the-bmw-m-compet-1752834234

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't mind those wheels tbh. I don't love them per se, but I also don't despise them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads