• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We took delivery today of the Golf SE, and I drove home from the dealer. Very adequate all around, with nothing excessive about it. We got the high-tech lighting package, but passed on the Driver Assistance stuff, which saved about $1,500 and a lot of distraction while driving. I'm not smart enough to use all of that help intelligently.

So far it seems to drive at least as well as the Saab 9-5 when it was behaving well. That's getting harder to remember, as the engine is making more noise at idle, and the rear right brake is scraping up a ferocious racket at low speeds. That's an $1,800 part to get the pedal and the brake talking again, I was told. Plus new brakes that haven't been forced to an early grave.
Anyway, the VW is also obviously more nimble than the Subaru Outback -- not bad, considering it has the base engine. Had there been a nice mid-blue like this available on the GTI, I would have thought about moving up to the 220hp Autobahn beast. As it is, I get to feel virtuous every time I have only just enough power, as well as having saved a small sum of money. The Audi A6 would have been much nicer to drive once on the road, but I've got to start being frugal sometime.

As soon as we get the winter tires installed, etc., it will probably be time to think about retiring the Saab, :cloud: unless we want it around for the occasional job in ugly salt and slush. Rather than going the CraigsList route, we'll probably just call up our PBS station and tell them to take it in exchange for a receipt.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I drove a car with speed limit info recently, that has to be the most annoying thing ever.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I drove a car with speed limit info recently, that has to be the most annoying thing ever.

Do you mean to say speedometer? Or some kind of audible/visual alert when you cross the speedlimit?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's the latter, all my cars have that feature. But it can be easily turned off

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sat Nav on the Outback has a little display that shows the speed limit on some roads. If you are within range, it is white, if you are over it turns red. No audible sound.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
M2 spec sheet was released. It's practically fully loaded at around $52k.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

M2 spec sheet was released. It's practically fully loaded at around $52k.

That's the base MSRP, how do you figure it's fully loaded at that price? Granted, I doubt it'll have all the options of the M4, but there's DCT and there might be some sort of tech/driver's package(s).

Also, I can't imagine anyone getting the M235i with this out - simply adding LSD brings the M235i to 50k. Should be an interesting car - it's ring time slots it in between the F8x and the E9x M cars.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the speed limit info, it can be mildly useful. When I first moved here, I didn't know the roads well and the speed limit would rise and drop by 10 mph without being obvious. One of my cars dings and the other can ding and set the cruise control to an offset of the speed limit (e.g. +10 mph). I found that to be somewhat useful.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the base MSRP, how do you figure it's fully loaded at that price? Granted, I doubt it'll have all the options of the M4, but there's DCT and there might be some sort of tech/driver's package(s).

Also, I can't imagine anyone getting the M235i with this out - simply adding LSD brings the M235i to 50k. Should be an interesting car - it's ring time slots it in between the F8x and the E9x M cars.

I have heard that people would buy the M235i to stay in a different insurance level than an M car. It might have been this thread actually as it was about an M3 being a similar price as a 335xi with some sort of performance package.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads