1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Where did you meet him?

1 person likes this.
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Got my first ticket ever while driving out of state. Wat do?

It just asks me to plead guilty or not guilty. No fine or amount etc on it. Seems kind of weird.

Annoyingly, I sped up and overtook a car because I was getting tailgated. Lights went on the second I switched over to the other lane. Tailgater was a cop.

Womp.

I was definitely speeding a bit though, so no contest for that. The way it happened was just kind of annoying since I was going the speed of traffic.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

And he gave you a ticket for that?? Would the argument have held water that you saw a police vehicle swoop up behind you, obviously in a hurry, so you got out of its way?

1 person likes this.
  4. ridethecliche

Nah, doubt it. He said he followed me for 5 miles.

To which I wondered why he would do that if he had probable cause to actually stop me already.

I mean I was definitely speeding, but that's annoying. So it goes.

RIP perfect record.

5. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

You aren't supposed to speed up for tailgaters.

BRAKE CHECK next time.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

6 weeks with the car and it already has a new exhaust, OEM short shifter, and it's been lowered :embar:

4 people like this.
  7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I see that the meat-up with GF has happened

4 people like this.
  8. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Pic!

:cheers:

9. ridethecliche

I feel like that would have given me a worse fine... Not that I know what it's going to be.

I just hope I don't get points. Of course MA has a deal that points will transfer...

10. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

So after both my E39 M5s sold in the same 12 hours I went and test drove a much older alternate I'd kinda cooled on but never drove. The E93.

[​IMG]

Hardtop vert; no ragtop in winter and just grab snow tires and rims. Then you've got the sun all May1 - Oct1 as you blare Sussudio and point at people. :p

[​IMG]

H-core track guys would hate the extra 500lbs but holy shit this thing goes like stink. And I finally get the enthusiasm for the dual clutch. The dual clutch thing is beyond instantaneous. Trundle along in traffic smooth as silk...end up on the line at a red or at your on-ramp: flip it to manual and you're in full retard burnout mode. (and RWD is soooo much more fun than Quattro etc. I'll never understand AWD sports cars.)

It's not quuuite as pretty in person as the E46 just as most enthusiasts say, however it is indeed faster. I'd aim for the competition pkg rims which look 10x better and obv get some tints.
    [​IMG]

Then black 18" on sottos.

Anyway this specific one is +high price +low mileage and last year of production so I'll probably have been a test pilot but this model in general is back as my goal for a year-rounder.

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/AdDetailInfo.aspx?srcID=5&frnID=29768395

ie'08/'09 with more 50k miles quite a bit cheaper and basically same thing. No LEDs in the tail lights. Who cares.

Finally I'm having this dealership price trade-in for the A4 cab so that'll be interesting. Never a great offer by any means but potentially knock the price down. Moreover they're the #1 preowned by volume in the city so could come up again as these E92/3s come in off lease fairly often now.

2 people like this.
  11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

bawlinbrah had some pretty (sch)long throws no two ways about it

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So with their latest commercial, the one with some fatuous young chippy signing so hard she crosses the center line into oncoming traffic, has Toyota officially acknowledged Millennials can't be bothered to actually pay attention to driving?

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Not sure how fast you were going. My wife's sister once got a ticket like that (no fine to pay) just guilty or not guilty (she was doing about 30 over the speed limit), and had to appear in court for it. She got a lawyer, who spotted a technicality and got the ticket thrown out. Unfortunately, many states such as MA have reciprocity/sharing of driving violations, with a bunch of other states so there is a strong likelihood it will lead to a surcharge for I believe 3 years.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A friend of mine has one (not a convertible) and he loves it. He doesn't track his cars, but he did say that extra 500 lbs on the verts is very noticeable compared to the coupe or sedan. Also, depending on mileage and how much use the top has been used in the past, one never knows when, but it can result in some expensive repairs if the mechanism dies. Anyway, wishing you luck if this is the new ride.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

To each his own, but I never understood the appeal of vert ownership. Feels like something I would get as a rental car during a holiday or vacation, but beyond that, I don't think I'd ever want to own a vert due to weight, extra cost, and more importantly, looks. They ruin the car's lines IMO.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

LOL @ "vert"

1 person likes this.
  17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

18. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Vert's are popular in Cali because of the nice weather. I can understand not wanting to own one in most of the country because the weather is either too hot or too cold.

19. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Nothing I enjoy more than open-air motoring in the summer. My brother's old E46 M3 was a convertible and through I made fun of him for buying a convertible, I loved driving that thing.

My only gripe with convertibles is they are rarely as nice as their coupe counterparts. I couldn't fathom driving a 997 cab. That said, I do think the Targa is the sweet-spot in terms of coupe looks with cabriolet enjoyment:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Have you ever owned a convertible sports car? I personally didn't understand the appeal until owning one. It adds a true open air motoring experience that you don't get with a coupe that has a sunroof. Also, if one is talking Cayman vs. Boxster, there isn't a weight penalty. Although, yes, if one is talking a BMW vert...there is a big weight penalty. Verts definitely aren't for everyone, but a great road, with nice weather and the right convertible can be a lot of fun.

I agree there are some cars that lose some of their beauty when the top gets lopped off.

Its quite interesting to me how much love the 991 Targa's have received, and that in turn it has sparked renewed interest in older Targas. 20-30 years ago, Targas were largely unloved, and preowned models tended to have lower prices than coupes and Cabs of the same year. They didn't give the same open air motoring experience as the 911 Cabriolets and others complained that its lines were not as pretty or pure as those of the 911 Coupes. Now regardless of the weight penalty, people love the Targa. I think its cool looking, but I'm not sure I'd choose a modern Targa for long term...just wondering about cost of wear and tear on the electric mechanism from having to deal with the weight of the glass.