• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PDXGeo

Reaction score
Ive owned a Miata. They nailed it imho so Im quite excited about it. I love the look from the front. The side and rear are more like meh but i havent seen it in steel yet. I wont be getting one any time soon either way...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So you're looking at several factors. There is hardness of the original clear coat. The Tesla didn't need a base paint correction but has a really soft CC. OC was put on with a clear coat fix, not wet sanding or the like. The worst part of it was because of a bird dropping because I was out of town. The car was in a closed commercial parking garage when during the time.

The main thing is the car itself and your laziness - how much it cost, what you want to do with it, etc.

Ok. Well I've done maybe 30 minutes of research on the subject now. Being genuinely interested as well - I need to do a paint correction on the gt3 soon and replace yellowing clear film.

The opti cost system is purchasable for $59.99. Could be wrong but it looks like it's the whole cost of materials. I'm semi experienced with synthetic sealants - I can clay/polish/glaze/seal/wax a car in about a day using Klasse - and this system looks comparable in terms of steps.

So I can pay for a top notch paint correction - this would be 10-12 hours' labor for $600-1000, and that's if you are paying the most expensive detailers. And then once it's done it's not a lot more time to lay down the opticoat, and after that it's just the curing process.

So ok. $1k might be fair if the person doing it was doing a paint correction in the process, and he was good enough to command $60-80 per hour rates. But I would ask exactly what I was getting for my money, because it seems like $1k for just an application would be a total rip-off

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok. Well I've done maybe 30 minutes of research on the subject now. Being genuinely interested as well - I need to do a paint correction on the gt3 soon and replace yellowing clear film.

The opti cost system is purchasable for $59.99. Could be wrong but it looks like it's the whole cost of materials. I'm semi experienced with synthetic sealants - I can clay/polish/glaze/seal/wax a car in about a day using Klasse - and this system looks comparable in terms of steps.

So I can pay for a top notch paint correction - this would be 10-12 hours' labor for $600-1000, and that's if you are paying the most expensive detailers. And then once it's done it's not a lot more time to lay down the opticoat, and after that it's just the curing process.

So ok. $1k might be fair if the person doing it was doing a paint correction in the process, and he was good enough to command $60-80 per hour rates. But I would ask exactly what I was getting for my money, because it seems like $1k for just an application would be a total rip-off

I think you'd be well within your reason to ask - esp. on a great car. Also, I'm talking about Opti-Coat Pro + and the bells and whistles outside of any film - not the stuff you buy on autogeek.

It's not justifiable, but then again, neither is a 135k electric golf cart. There were intricacies in the prep. I did mean to set the boundary conditions with the very narrow set of cars I'd get it on.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And for perspective, I got a quote for the "gold" service of Ceramic Pro for about $800. Part of this is the guinea pig discount. To get CQuartz best would have been about the same. A place closer to my house would have done OptiCoat for $1,200-- and another $200 or so for the wheels.

If you look on the Tesla forums, there are a lot of threads on these coatings and clear bras, as Tesla's paint is notoriously soft.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
53e0ef27ba80f9d6c25156a5fe653598.jpg

Not sure if I ever posted this. Picked it up last Feb slightly used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Very nice. Was considering a Golf R before I picked up my M3.

Looks lowered. Manual?

Last edited:

Seamless

Reaction score

Not a golf R but my wives daily. Tuned, bolt ons and vmr wheels. Nothing special but like the cars.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Very nice. Was considering a Golf R before I picked up my M3.

Looks lowered. Manual?
Yeah H&R sport springs ~ 1" lower than factory. Mk6 R's in the states only came manual. Dsg is faster but to me manual is just so much more engaging. Normal mods, United Motorsport stage 2 loaded with the haldex flash, 3" down pipe to miltek exhaust. Hawk pads with Ecs two piece rotors and neuspeed rs 12 wheels, shaved about 10-12 lbs per corner. Shot of the rear rotors/wheels.
ed8e5bb6a0d35fc8922b5eae304945af.jpg

Seamless

Reaction score
UM actually did the tune for my big turbo audi. I use them for everything I can.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I paid under a grand for paint correction and opti coat pro from one of, if not the, best detailers in the Bay Area. I think he's done more Teslas than anyone else. It was easily worth it as 2 years later I have no swirls, etc although I have had some chips because a coating can only do so much.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I paid under a grand for paint correction and opti coat pro from one of, if not the, best detailers in the Bay Area. I think he's done more Teslas than anyone else. It was easily worth it as 2 years later I have no swirls, etc although I have had some chips because a coating can only do so much.

Best succinct reply.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@jungleroller: Love that color. Car looks good.

Thank you kind Sir! I don't have many pics of it but one more just for you.

52610516af9f73a72efe2e31059edc3e.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The last is a good point. It appeals to me that I'd never need to do a detail, but then there's another grand or two I'd need to sink into a clear bra as well, to avoid rock chips and light damage. I think I would go for it if I was a quoted a price for paint correction + opticoat + clear bra that's not far from the price of a paint correction + clear bra install.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've yet to own a baller enough or new enough car to feel the need for a clear bra.

:(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads