1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

My brother just picked up a 2012 s85 with 60k miles for $46k. The thing is in immaculate condition, even had some goofy wheel guards on it so they wouldn't get curbed. Seller was asking $50k so he could get a new one with autopilot capabilities and my brother had been saving for his model 3 and saw this one sitting on Craigslist for a month or so. I think he got a damn good deal considering it had a $90k MSRP, obviously he thinks so, too.

[​IMG]

edit: This picture is hilarious to me because my brother is so frugal by nature. Before this, I don't think he'd ever spent more than $5k on his current 10 year old Prius, and that was extravagant for him. He also has an old Ford Ranger electric fleet vehicle that he picked up for $2k and swapped the battery pack. Cars were always such a wasteful thing to him but to see him get giddy when he pulled out the key to tell me was priceless. Also my dad's finger in the top of the frame.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    5 people like this.
  2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Well gents, we just got word we have tickets to the taping of The Grand Tour here in Nashville. Pretty excited. Hopefully they don't turn us away due to driving an E-Class or an Outback.

1 person likes this.
  3. pravda

pravda Senior member

@Mike 1445. This is priceless. Thanks for sharing. That's a nice ride

4. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

So today, i drove a 5spd column shift manual. . It was a thrill ride.
    :slayer:

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The first four wheel vehicle I drove that was manual was a "three on the tree" old pick up.

So, an interesting consideration came my way. A 70 year old, drives like a grandpa, acquaintance of mine has a really nice GL 63 on a two year lease which will be up about the same time my lease will be next December. MB's residual on them is for crap, as in 48% on his two year lease, meaning residual will be about 58k. He has other cars and only put 6k miles on it his year. So a two year old AMG, with under 15k miles, driven by someone that probably never floored it once, for about 58k. I have to say it has me thinking.

2 people like this.
  6. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Stop lying to yourself. You're going to lease again.

5 people like this.
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Yeah, but there's still plenty left on that depreciation curve to bite you in the ass for years to come.

Youll end up resenting / regretting it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's more the miles and the cost of upkeep. I do about 15k a year and would chew up the remaining warranty quicker than I want to. It's part of why I lease, 'dat bumper to bumper warranty, and I don't plan to drive an AMG out of warranty.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I know you'll run the numbers, but my bet is that it will be a losing proposition. If AMG has a four year warranty, you're basically betting that year 3+4 depreciation hit (which is heavy for MB) is less than the cost of leasing a new one. Add to that the fact that a used car loan rate is typically higher than a lease money factor.

I don't see upkeep being a factor in the decision as it's about equal, given that there's the presence of a warranty in both options

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

It would be hard to see a higher depreciation in 2 years than the 52%. Assuming $130k for the car, that puts the used value about $65k. Even if depreciated another 67% that's only about $40k in depreciation plus the interest. Meanwhile the lease would have to cover $65k in depreciation.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Eh, you might be right. For whatever reason I was mentally running numbers based on a three year lease.

12. Thrift Vader

So, while i was browsing used cars in england. I saw that Jaguar X-types are at rock bottom price wise. Even with super low mileage. Sure, they weren't the "best" car ever to hit the market. But i'd wager a 65,000 mile 2002 X type for $1,500 is going to be a better buy than a higher mileage VW Golf of the same era. At the same price point. Seriously, do millenial Jags deserve that much of a pricing insult?:puzzled:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  13. mimo

mimo Senior member

They were made during the Ford ownership on the same platform as the Ford Mondeo and Volvo S40 (which Ford also owned at the time). The perception was that they were priced higher than either but, as a completely new production line with new staff and a new facility for Jaguar, less well made. Of course they were still decent sellers for the relative price of the Jag badge but resale was never great. A V6 Mondeo or S40 from that time is about the same price now.

The S Type held up a bit better.

2 people like this.
  14. Thrift Vader

So would you say either is a nicer place to sit in traffic in for sub 2k than other budget cars?
    - i would expect them to have less electrical gremlins than germans in the same category. And a shared platform means lower service costs?

Hmmm. . . Just pondering. . . (A 996 for 12k). . . . .

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

I really couldn't say, but I guess you're not risking much for that money, especially if you can use (ubiquitous in western Europe) Ford parts.

16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Those Jags were horrible. They looked exactly what they were - a Contour/Mondeo, which is an economy car - with the lipstick-on-a-pig treatment. Would be the Worst brand dilution exercise of the decade if not for DaimlerChrysler.

Although if they cost the same as a Mondeo now, I guess it's a fair deal if you really like Mondeos.

2 people like this.
  17. mimo

mimo Senior member

I guess that's fair comment if you drive a GT3, too.

You're absolutely right about the brand dilution, but in itself the Mondeo was a huge hit in the medium sized saloon market. Personally I'd take the S40. It's not very pretty, but I've driven quite a few - and Mondeos - as rentals or loaners and the S40 has a pleasing solidity about it for a modest car. I've never driven the X.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Wow did my dealership fuck up. I put my car in for new tires and Service A on Monday. Dropped it off at 7am, 4pm sitll no call it's ready so I drive over to the dealership. Takes a 30 minute wait but the car shows up with the new rubber and all nice and shiny. Driving home, almost there, and suddenly the dash reads it's time to do my A service. I check the receipt when I get home...sure enough, the dumb fucks had my car all day and all they did was put new rubber on it. I'm pretty fucking pissed as a nearby tire joint would have been $200 cheaper but I'd have to wait while it's done so I figured I'd just drop it at the dealership and get it all done at once with the loaner.

Just priced a BMW X5. Same lease cost as my GL and the X5 with the turbo V-8 will blow the doors off the GL450. I also hear that brakes and rubber are covered with BMW so guess what I'll be looking at next December?

19. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sucks when dealers do something stupid, like forget one of the main reasons the car is there.

We are currently cross shopping MBs and BMWs...on the new 2017 BMW's the included service has been revised, removing things like brakes, clutch (on manual cars), wiper blades, which were all part of the included maintenance plans on 2016s. In addition, they reduced the included maintenance from 4 years 50K miles to 3 years 36K miles. You can add the additional year of maintenance and coverage for the brakes, clutch, wipers etc for an added cost...depending on the model I think it starts at an additional $1400...but I think on the V8 X5 its around $1,900. I think merely to add the brake pads and wipers to the 3 year plan is $600.