1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I always thought it was really hard to learn stick because my peers and I all learned to drive on stick. So our experience was not just learning stick, but also learning to DRIVE.

A generally good driver will learn stick much faster because it's only one new thing to learn. Especially with these new cars that have hill assist and in some cases, clutch assist and auto blipping.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I learned to drive a manual transmission around 10 years of age when I started to drive trail bikes and tractors.

3. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd get along with you, and most people on SF - some of whom I've met IRL.

I'm really intense on a first principles approach to STEM related things. I'm also fine watching football on Sundays, catching up with my friends on a lazy drive, and looking forward to the holidays :). It probably doesn't come across at all online.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Ramu, to be frank, you do come off as a bit elitist at times. You certainly come off as knowledgeable but your way of showing that often comes off as trying to show others as not only incorrect, but stupid.

It's fixable though. Just be mindful of that.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

6. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I can fully see that. It's sort of me for better or for worse. I don't mean to be a dick and honestly would get along with you guys IRL. :worship:

Really sorry, and don't have any issues with you. I also didn't grow up with a trust fund. I'm really opinionated and I'm abrasive, even to my close friends, who still put up with me. No excuses.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Oh no, they're discontinuing the Aussie El Camino?? :(

It even had a delightfully stupid name - the Maloo. But I wish they had gone with the original name choice and forever called it the Holden Macaque

1 person likes this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I always pictured the Crocodile Hunter driving one of those...and the bald guy from Midnight Oil getting upset over the mileage.

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

You're white?

11. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

On SF, it's best to close your eyes and think everyone except Piob and a tenth of MC is Asian.

And another edit: Hell yeah - back in business: http://bmwfilms.com

2 people like this.
  12. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. ridethecliche

I have no problems with you either haha. Drop me a line if you're ever in the Boston area. We'll grab a brewski.

I'm just saying what I said because I have the exact same issue as you do at times. I often come across as extremely stern and peeved in written messages, but I blame that on being taught how to write extremely formally most of the time as a kid. Oh well.

Thrift Vader Gaijin San

14. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I actually love the Boston attitude. It's actually not that different from here in many ways. I remember my first time there was with the company I was working for, which is HQ'ed in Boston. We went to Fenway and I got a call from my landlord saying my place was flooding. I was slowing working up to the front of the vendor line, get to the front and I'm still on the phone. The vendor goes (imagine in a Boston accent) 'you fuckin gonna order or what?' I went back during the 7th inning and he said 'ya know I was just giving you a hard time'. I loved that.

1 person likes this.
  15. ridethecliche

Haha I'd never claim to be from here even though I've been in the area for 6 years and in New England for a decade. I still say Philly tbh, even though that's a lie because I'm from the burbs.

Oh well.

That response is so typical though and I definitely think it's hilarious too.

1 person likes this.
  16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

o I bet u liked getting a hard time from him

1 person likes this.
  17. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

230hp for the 330, 235 for dat zhp. The 325 makes under 185 hp but it doesn't feel as slow as it should. They both handle great and have very few problems. Like the e36 before it you need to check on the rear shock towers every now and then and it still has a waterpump that fails like clockwork at 65k miles.

Oh and plan on replacing the plastic covering the headlights. Expect to replace interior trim pieces. The nav screen will make you chuckle because it resembles an old Fisher Price toy. Some pixels from the radio will have surely burned out. It's crap anyway. Throw an Alpine in there and change the display to orange and you are good to go plus you will add bluetooth and can still use the steering wheel mounted controls .

If the wheels it comes with are shitty then make those your winter wheels and throw some blizzacks on them. Find zhp wheels from the forums and make those your everyday wheels

3 people like this.
  18. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

We got a room. Fenway is - well too conspicuous, especially with that Citgo sign.

19. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Glad the #ramuvention went well. And we are all still at the table. :)

So this new Bronco, looks darn good. How would it sway me from an FJ Cruiser?
    Just so impressed with those.

1 person likes this.
  20. double00

double00 Senior member

came so so close to pulling the trigger on an 2006 FJ couple of years back... the manuals are compelling since full time 4wd. they don't offer them new in the US as of last year but i think there is probably some new stock floating around...

problem is the earlier years had some bugs - much has been made of the 'fender bulge' but imo the real issue is that the earlier years (2006-2008 iirc) only supported premium gas. i'm holding out hope to pick up a low mileage 2010-11-12 in a year or two.

2 people like this.