Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

BTW, if it comes with the Pirelli's, change those shits immediately. I wish the fucking dealer had told me when I bought my audi's that I needed to account for having to change those POS.

I'm surprised that you have a driver's license.

- B

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

it has continental sportcontact3s, my experience with pirellis has been shit.

Good job.

BTW, if it comes with the Pirelli's, change those shits immediately. I wish the fucking dealer had told me when I bought my audi's that I needed to account for having to change those POS.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I rather liked P-Zero Neros when I put them on my 540i. They were cheap and were reasonably all-season, or at least I ran them that way.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I musy say, I am impressed by how you've boiled down your choice of car into hard and pure economics. Although my training is in economics and quantitative finance, I am horribly emotion driven when it comes to cars, and cannot see myself applying the same level of restraint and focus on the facts. I am envious.

Pio, I'm also impressed. I can't make my automotive decisions based on pure economics either, and I've tried hard to do so over the years. The only time when I did and it worked out well for me, was when I bought a car to last me through the college/grad school years. Otherwise, when I've attempted more economically rational car purchases, I've ended up wasting money due to trading them within a few months to a year for the uneconomical choice that I wanted in the first place.

Thanks guys, but it's really not that hard. I mean, let's look at what I'm dealing with for Mrs. Piob right now. Audi Q5, Benz ML, Infiniti FX, BMW X5 or that crossover 6. Really, there's not a bad choice in the lot. Each one has its pros and cons, each dealership has its pros and cons, but I don't think we could make a bad choice if we tried. So given I know we only have to live with the vehicle 36 months, until the next new thing comes along, it really makes it easy to leave this up to economics.

It's looking like the ML. We were set on the Q5 but she is just stuck on keyless entry/start, and on the Q5 you need to get the Prestige package, which has the highest MSRP and the lowest residual of the Q5 lineup. This actually puts a lease a few hundred more for the Audi v. the MB. Also, this will be our third car from the same two guys that team at the MB dealership. They don't try and bullshit me, know I check up on things like the "buy" money factor, etc., and it makes things very easy.

Kunk, congrats on the Q5, it is indeed a great vehicle.

6. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

thanks, is a3 actually.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

thanks, is a3 actually.

Ah. Thought it looked a little short of a Q5 but attributed it to the photo. Nice ride.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i leased for a long time but it made sense to buy this time. i bought the minivan new knowing we'd get 10 years out of it and no major improvements were on the way and i got a car for myself that was 40+ new with 20k mioles for 23. i can get a 2 yr old s5 for like 40 if i go that route as opposed to 55 new.

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

A3's a nice, practical car especially for an urban setting. When I visited a friend in Germany, we did everything from going superfast on the Autobahn to hauling crates of beer around in her 4-cylinder A3. The car's also small enough to fit in her apartment's tiny parking space.

--Andre

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^yeah, i got the v6, which is a lot of engine for this little fucker.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

^yeah, i got the v6, which is a lot of engine for this little fucker.

I drove one as a loaner once and it was fast. My wife was actually scared to drive it.

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^my wife said the same thing but now she "borrows" it all the time. i was on the gcp one night and assumed i was doing about 80 and looked and i was at a steady 115

13. john08

john08 New Member

You'll fit right in here, don't worry!
    </worry> [​IMG] Thanks!

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

it has continental sportcontact3s, my experience with pirellis has been shit.

I have the sportcontact3's as well. They are nice but expensive to replace. Particularly since it is really easy for me to do burn outs.

15. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I don't have a car right now... very small need in Manhattan

What do you guys think of E36 M3s