Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Thanks for expanding, true there are purer cars like porsches, lotus etc so that is obviously not the only consideration when it comes to choosing a bimmer and it's not to say all bimmer drivers are car guys. However, I have never known a guy who values the driving experience from a performance and feel dynamic to choose an audi or mb over bmw. Audi is the perfect alternative for those who don't want to fall into the bmw or merc stereotype, they want something different yet nice at the same time. They're somewhat like hipsters in that they don't realize by doing this they are all alike, which is why they're so easy to peg lol. They tend to be creative types, most of my cousin's friends from art center drive audis. After owning an audi (which is usually their first nice car), they suddenly take a more active interest in cars sup kunk.
    I can agree with this. If I had only one car, then it would be BMW.

2. ama

ama Senior member

Cars we would like to be driving:

S 350 CDI L 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY Sedan

[​IMG]

The ultimate most perfected vehicle originates Germany and/or Japan.

MB, Toyota/Lexus and Infiniti/Nissan > BMW/PorscheWV/AUDI/GM/FORD/Chrysler. Sorry, I had to tell you the truth.

You'll fit right in here, don't worry!

3. epb

epb Senior member

Which is really the marque's strength, imo. If you aren't at that point where you can drive a luxury car day-to-day and have a sports car for the weekends, BMW's M division cars are the best compromise, especially the M3. This is why the M Coupe/M Roadster don't make sense - if you're buying a dedicated sports car, the Boxster or Cayman or some 911 variant are more logical.

4. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

since I don't plan on owning anymore bmws out of warranty (lease rates currently are terrible bc of residuals).
    The lease rates for M3 coupe are pretty decent right now, actually. 57% residual for 15k/year, 36 months, .0018 money factor. 12k/year residual is 59%, while 10k year is 60%. [​IMG] The M3 sedan residuals are much worse (subtract 5%) but you don't strike me as a 4-door kind of guy.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

not sure if i would agree that a porsche is purer 'driver's car' or sports car than a BMW M3, btw. assuming we are talking about NA porsches, i can't think of a single way that the M3 gives up anything to those cars.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

The lease rates for M3 coupe are pretty decent right now, actually. 57% residual for 15k/year, 36 months, .0018 money factor. 12k/year residual is 59%, while 10k year is 60%. [​IMG] The M3 sedan residuals are much worse (subtract 5%) but you don't strike me as a 4-door kind of guy.
    Why thank you sir and yes you are correct I dislike sedans. I'll have my guy keep an eye on residuals/rates in the coming months for 15k/36.

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

This is why the M Coupe/M Roadster don't make sense - if you're buying a dedicated sports car, the Boxster or Cayman or some 911 variant are more logical.

I think the M Z cars make sense as BMW's essay on sports cars. They don't even try to be practical like the M3 or M5.

not sure if i would agree that a porsche is purer 'driver's car' or sports car than a BMW M3, btw. assuming we are talking about NA porsches, i can't think of a single way that the M3 gives up anything to those cars.

The M3 has less feel, and handles worse than the Porsche sports cars. It's also significantly heavier. This is not to say that it's slow, because it is tremendously fast, but a driver's car isn't about absolute speed --- it's about the connection between driver and car. This is why a Miata is a better and purer driver's car than the M3. The Miata is a sports car. The M3 is a sporty car.

--Andre

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

2009 BMW 328xi in white. Can't find any great pictures of the exterior but the interior is what sold me on it. Never had any problems with it except I seem to be wearing out the back tires too quickly. [​IMG] If you ever think of getting a BMW, definitely take a look at this leather in person, it absolutely makes the car.

Nice, what do they call that color?

IMO, right now the cream of SUVs is the Q5. What a great little driving machine and combination of features. Sadly, their residual sucks arse (low 40s).

I musy say, I am impressed by how you've boiled down your choice of car into hard and pure economics. Although my training is in economics and quantitative finance, I am horribly emotion driven when it comes to cars, and cannot see myself applying the same level of restraint and focus on the facts. I am envious.

+1000

There are plenty of other cars out there that I'd love to drive, but if it came down to just one, I'd have to say I'd stick with an M3. When I turn 55, I may move on to the M5 though.. [​IMG]

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

better late than never

[​IMG]

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

congrats, looks good

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

better late than never

Looks good... Enjoy!

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

How the hell do you fit in that thing?

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I musy say, I am impressed by how you've boiled down your choice of car into hard and pure economics. Although my training is in economics and quantitative finance, I am horribly emotion driven when it comes to cars, and cannot see myself applying the same level of restraint and focus on the facts. I am envious.
    Pio, I'm also impressed. I can't make my automotive decisions based on pure economics either, and I've tried hard to do so over the years. The only time when I did and it worked out well for me, was when I bought a car to last me through the college/grad school years. Otherwise, when I've attempted more economically rational car purchases, I've ended up wasting money due to trading them within a few months to a year for the uneconomical choice that I wanted in the first place.

14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

aside from head sticking out of sunroof, it's all good

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

better late than never

[​IMG]

Good job.

BTW, if it comes with the Pirelli's, change those shits immediately. I wish the fucking dealer had told me when I bought my audi's that I needed to account for having to change those POS.