• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cars on the Street in Tokyo

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
For me, it would be a toss-up between the NSX and the Miata as the purest Japanese sports car of the 90s.

--Andre

NSX yes. Have seen 2 or 3 over the last few years. Lucky owners.

Miata - a bit small, no? Feminine?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha

Miata had a great driving feel to it because of so many things done right on that car:
Low seating position communicated car movements better.
Shifter-clutch action was simply fantastic. Very short and very forgiving clutch.
Engine sound and body integrity were great.
Topless Miata body felt tighter than some sedans.(this comment is not intended to be sexual in nature and all jokes will be automatically deleted by moderator).

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it would be a toss-up between the NSX and the Miata as the purest Japanese sports car of the 90s.

--Andre

I do agree about the NSX, and to a degree a Miata. I consider the RX-7 to be more of slightly larger fixed roof Miata, with more power and capabilities. Both are cars not hampered by electronic stability controls, they were purely based on engineering and physics. Of course the Miata is great on the track (autoX), but it's primarily set up for the back roads. The RX-7 on the other hand, was better suited for track (tight or open), but is also a very capable car on the backroads.

Plus the RX-7 was one the sexiest cars at the time...and fairly exclusive in numbers given it was a mass produced affordable automobile.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mustapha,

If you look hard enough, you could find a pre-owned at a pretty good price. I remember a while back when I was just looking, I came across a couple (1991 and 1992) under the 30 grand mark.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I do agree about the NSX, and to a degree a Miata. I consider the RX-7 to be more of slightly larger fixed roof Miata, with more power and capabilities. Both are cars not hampered by electronic stability controls, they were purely based on engineering and physics. Of course the Miata is great on the track (autoX), but it's primarily set up for the back roads. The RX-7 on the other hand, was better suited for track (tight or open), but is also a very capable car on the backroads.

Plus the RX-7 was one the sexiest cars at the time...and fairly exclusive in numbers given it was a mass produced affordable automobile.

The weight distribution is what set the RX-7 apart, IMO. The Miata, while a fun drive, still has that classic front-engine roadster feel. I like my engine as close to the middle as possible, and if it can't be actually mid-engined, the RX-7s tiny rotary shoved way up in the engine bay is the next best thing.

The NSX is a different category altogether, and it's not really a fair comparison with the other Japanese turbos of the era. The NSX is of course the superior car, it was also competing with 911s at the time.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Miata had a great driving feel to it because of so many things done right on that car:
Low seating position communicated car movements better.
Shifter-clutch action was simply fantastic. Very short and very forgiving clutch.
Engine sound and body integrity were great.
Topless Miata body felt tighter than some sedans.(this comment is not intended to be sexual in nature and all jokes will be automatically deleted by moderator).

These may very well be good, correct and true points.

However. the image of a sports car is at least as important to many people as the performance.
And its been scientifically proven that 87% of all people (even people in Japan!) will question your sexuality if they see you driving a Miata.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
The weight distribution is what set the RX-7 apart, IMO. The Miata, while a fun drive, still has that classic front-engine roadster feel. I like my engine as close to the middle as possible, and if it can't be actually mid-engined, the RX-7s tiny rotary shoved way up in the engine bay is the next best thing.

The NSX is a different category altogether, and it's not really a fair comparison with the other Japanese turbos of the era. The NSX is of course the superior car, it was also competing with 911s at the time.

Agreed, plus I love how small and effecient the twin turbo'd rotary was. Besides their poor reliabity, it was truly an amazing and effective engine.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
These may very well be good, correct and true points.

However. the image of a sports car is at least as important to many people as the performance.
And its been scientifically proven that 87% of all people (even people in Japan!) will question your sexuality if they see you driving a Miata.

I think you are mistaken. Miata was widely popular and for years was best selling convertible in US and in the rest of the world. Miata bore numerous car-clubs and huge aftermarket for performance parts.
Perception of Miata as being a gay car situated predominantly among insecure 20year olds who are personally torn between Large truck and XLarge truck.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, plus I love how small and effecient the twin turbo'd rotary was. Besides their poor reliabity, it was truly an amazing and effective engine.

Also used by Porsche on Slantnose. Why more cars are not built with that engine, I have no clue?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think you are mistaken. Miata was widely popular and for years was best selling convertible in US and in the rest of the world. Miata bore numerous car-clubs and huge aftermarket for performance parts. Perception of Miata as being a gay car situated predominantly among insecure 20year olds who are personally torn between Large truck and XLarge truck.
Sounds like I struck a nerve... MIATA OWNER! Anyways, I don't own a truck, and don't like them. Some people have to own them for work though, so at least they have a reason to exist. I mean, aside from the Miata's main "use" which seems to be tooling around town with the top down, your mesh shirt whipping in the breeze, your boyfriend in the passenger seat, and WHAM! blasting out of your speakers. To me, this is not a valid use for an automobile.
smile.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also used by Porsche on Slantnose. Why more cars are not built with that engine, I have no clue?

I'll give you one--poor low end torque, poor reliability, no opportunity for parts or design sharing with existing models (for everyone but Mazda), different exhaust note can be off-putting to some. It's a niche engine, it was perfect for the RX-7, but it's trumped in nearly all applications by something else these days.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Mustapha,

If you look hard enough, you could find a pre-owned at a pretty good price. I remember a while back when I was just looking, I came across a couple (1991 and 1992) under the 30 grand mark.

Southern-Nupe,

I'm STILL looking at a Lotus Elise
blush.gif
,, but since this thread is Japanese oriented and increasingly towards underappreciated vintage Japanese machines I will say that the Subaru SVX needs to be part of this whole discussion as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Alcyone_SVX

What great lookers (to me) these are. Size and Presence as well.

-Moose

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sports cars aren't supposed to be big. As for the feminine quality of the car, who cares?

The original Miata is one of the truest expressions of the classic English roadster, which is the definition of a sports car. It also had power-nothing: no ABS, no power steering, etc.

--Andre

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Southern-Nupe,

I'm STILL looking at a Lotus Elise
blush.gif
,, but since this thread is Japanese oriented and increasingly towards underappreciated vintage Japanese machines I will say that the Subaru SVX needs to be part of this whole discussion as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Alcyone_SVX

What great lookers (to me) these are. Size and Presence as well.

-Moose

Mustapha,

I forgot about the SVX, I dated a girl whose mother owned one. I loved the look of the side mirrors and sharp edges. Needless to say, I have currently been less impressed with some of the recent cars coming out of Japan, but in the 90's, they truly made some amazing affordable sports and performance cars.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Sports cars aren't supposed to be big. As for the feminine quality of the car, who cares? The original Miata is one of the truest expressions of the classic English roadster, which is the definition of a sports car. It also had power-nothing: no ABS, no power steering, etc. --Andre
I should have put a smiley after the word feminine. Just a little internet mischief on my part.
blush.gif
In all honesty Andre, I think the original Miatas were too small. As an expression of the English roadster I would suppose inspiration from Lotus Elan and MG Midget. I would have preferred if Mazda's inspiration were a larger car - Triumph Stag perhaps. The Mini seems to have inherited the new mantle as a car for girls.
laugh.gif
Undeservedly of course. Everyone here could go on all day about pickups for rednecks, Saabs for artistes, and other car-owner imputations/relationships impossible to quantify; with the exception of the Japanese young man driving the Impala further back in this thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads