• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carrots

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
My mother made some amazing carrots the other night. Oh man. Sauteed with a little bit of butter, a dash of sugar, dash of nutmeg, and cinnamon. Unreal.

this sounds a little like the 'zippy carrots' i make - just add a tbls of djion.....

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether companies that make baby carrots use the waste from making them for other products: vegetable stocks, juices, etc.?

It's always struck me as a tremendously wasteful product (unless, of course, they're engineering baby carrots these days
laugh.gif
).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
Does anyone know whether companies that make baby carrots use the waste from making them for other products: vegetable stocks, juices, etc.?

It's always struck me as a tremendously wasteful product (unless, of course, they're engineering baby carrots these days
laugh.gif
).

The sell it. I actually know the people run one of the biggest baby carrot operations. Really, my father knows them, but I know them a little, too.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The sell it. I actually know the people run one of the biggest baby carrot operations. Really, my father knows them, but I know them a little, too.
Do you mean they sell the shredded carrot scraps to other food producers to do what they will with it, or do they turn it into other products to sell at retail? Very interesting.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Do you mean they sell the shredded carrot scraps to other food producers to do what they will with it, or do they turn it into other products to sell at retail? Very interesting.

They mostly sell it bulk to (say) the canned soup/broth companies.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I think of shredded carrots I'm reminded of my aunt's carrot casserole. Delicious.

bob99

Reaction score
I occasionally buy the baby carrots, but the cheapskate in me isn't happy about the fact that you're paying $2.99 for 2lbs of them, when you could get 6lbs of regular carrots for the same price. To be honest, I really haven't noticed the taste being that much worse.

I figure that the financial waste of buying the baby carrots is better than not eating them at all, but it makes much more sense to get the big ones and cut them up.

I heard somewhere that they make the baby carrots by taking rotten / expired carrots and just peeling them down. Can our carrot insider verify this fact?

Bob

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Dude, I keep a bone china service for two at work, with silverware and glassware. They look at me funny too, but so what? When we have office potlucks, I bring baby beef wellingtons and they stop looking at me funny.

~ H

I think this is the first time you ever used the word, 'dude' in a sentence.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to sound too snooty, but as far as flavor goes, I like heirloom carrots grown in my backyard, or if those are not available, ones from a local farmers market. Neither are available in colder months so I buy carrots with their greens attached from a local supermarket. You can cook the greens too, btw. A lot of heirloom veggies do taste better since they were often bred for flavor, not yield, but most people probably know this already. And Huntsman, I admire your dedication.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
People look at me funny when I try to brew my own tea at work.

seocyber

Reaction score
I like carrots. you know i can make good carrots.Fry in butter and add paste of garlic and ginger,onion untill these paste got brown add salt and then carrot.
Oh!!!!!!!!Delicious stuff with rice..........

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Batonnet some carrots and place them in a small saucepan in a little stack in the middle. Place a tablespoon of butter on top of them, and a tablespoon of honey in the pan. Fill the pan with water until it just covers the carrots. Cover with cartouche, and let simmer until liquid has all evaporated. Absolutely beautiful glazed carrots.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Baby carrots are tasty raw. For cooking I find them too sweet and prefer normal carrots. I don't eat them much anyway, they are pretty much just orange sugar sticks. I get my beta carotene from spirulina algae and the occasional sweet potato.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of the staff in my office are health freaks and women athletes / bodybuilders. I like the potlucks because they usually bring really tasty food that is clean.

Originally Posted by JayJay
I avoid office potlucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads