• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carphones.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to install one of those old integrated carphones in my car--the phones with the spiral antenna installed on the rear fenders and the light-up LED display.

I'm sure I can find a phone set but can such an item be used under current phone coverage?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they can -- anywhere you can get an analog signal, which is most places. My father tried with his Motorola a few years ago (a 1985 model) and it did work -- he was prompted for a credit card number or somesuch.

The harder part will be finding out how to program it with the important codes and such.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Imagine this one in a car:

2007_3_10.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
How are the fees calculated? Is this under cell coverage or under landline service?
I have no idea; however, without a subscription plan, one must assume that usury is the operative term. Programming it to work with a particular provider's network is likely the best option. The phone above is really just a radiotelephone rather than a cell, so from an engineer's standpoint I am not impressed. My father's phone was similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-Dynatac...46162311QQrdZ1 I carried an OKI 1200 (I believe) in the early nineties -- another great, great phone.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I understand it, these sorts of cell phones use an analog line and according to my current provider, AT&T, they still offer analog cell coverage with a $4.99 fee: https://supportcingular.atgnow.com/c...+Fee%3F#Goto11 I can get one of those old bag-phones as well since the module is much smaller and I can hide it under the seat rather than installing it in the trunk which seems somewhat tedious. http://www.motorola3watts.com/ Alternatively, I can have the old analog signal converted to the standard GSM by way of some sort of rather expensive "call director": http://www.motorola3watts.com/produc...products_id=76

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I want to install one of those old integrated carphones in my car--the phones with the spiral antenna installed on the rear fenders and the light-up LED display. I'm sure I can find a phone set but can such an item be used under current phone coverage?
I'm not being funny, but is there a reason you're looking for a carphone?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your car, LK? Out of curiosity.

JB

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simply glorious. Make sure you purchase a velour tracksuit for your weekend driving.

JB

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently saw a mint Benz 560SL in brown that had its original blue vanity plates and a large carphone spiral antenna installed--it was really fabulous as it looked so incongruous in traffic. This could also be the most convenient solution: http://www.hulger.com/ This model seems appropriate:
PIPB-W-B1_2.jpg
On the same note, look at this fabulous item:
Sabrina3Big.jpg
Sabrina5Big.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's awfully eccentric. But, coming from you, I'm not all that surprised.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads