1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by uzairh, Apr 22, 2014.

1. MISCHIEF NIGHT

MISCHIEF NIGHT Senior member

Stolen from sz, from Domus Magazine (April 2009)

Poell comments on the symbolic relation between the showroom location of the industrial slaughterhouse and this season's experimentation with dripped rubber. The location is fitting, Poell says, "partly because the pouring of rubber recalls the slaughtered cows, and this is where the last drops of blood were left to flow out of the carcasses before being taken to the butchers around the city."

Poell's approach to me is much more complex and brilliant than i had thought. There's thought behind it; it's less cold, less "icicle" as i first estimated, more (if you'll humour me) sanguine. The blood-like dripping of rubber is perhaps an allusion to an existing tension within his works: the appropriation of nature for the construction of artifice (namely, the manipulation of animal skins for clothing). It's fitting that his leather pieces are the ones dripped with rubber. Poell's work is unapologetic, but he interposes a sense of irony perhaps to propitiate his audience for the aspect of the grotesque manifest in such experimentation. Or at least in my estimation, Poell's work is often not without a higher sense of irony. He brilliantly articulates this controversy of employing the natural (both itself and the process of its appropriation are symbolized by blood) for the sake of the artificial. He in turn creates clothing that itself represents the natural (blood) through an artificial means (rubber). It's blood to create clothing, and clothing to mimic blood. Poell's experimentation is assuredly responsible: "I want to say that the animals we use are fully exploited to 100 percent. For example, i don't use animals that are not eaten." But i think that while Poell's thoughts may address an ethical concern of his experimentation, his work on a larger scope is a commentary on clothing. With regards to leather, is it luxury or utility, or an intersection of both? Or is it adorning oneself in something that aligns itself more with nature than the clothing it is intended to be? (I'll post in Augusta perhaps sometime, fascinating pieces coming). And he explores this tension through experimentation: "We even tried using pig entrails to make a pullover."

1 person likes this.
  2. tvontheradio

tvontheradio Senior member

Hey man! Always cool to know there is another ccp fan in LA, I've only seen one guy wear CCP here. I have seen leclaireur's ig pic of their stock, so i can mostly assume now what they have. I feel seeing ccp at the stores always makes me appreciate his work even more. When i went to LIFT tokyo last year, i never fell in love with the drips more than ever after seeing them displayed there. We are all blessed to be able to buy second hand ccp nowadays. I cant fathom paying $1900 for tornados right now, and I've sold off most of my ccp coats as you can never wear that stuff here in LA sadly, even wearing my CORS scarstitch becomes tricky when your in a night club :) Since I am a fan of furniture and architecture i might just go for the tour.

I remember listening to "bloodthirsty babes and desperate youths" for the first time, it took me awhile for my head to wrap around the sound but eventually i became a huge fan! I still find myself listening to Cookie mtn! I wish they'd go back to their original sound, i cant get into their newer stuff.

1 person likes this.
  3. Felhgeschrei

Felhgeschrei Member

So, what do people generally do when the drips wear down? Send 'em to be re-dipped? Cut down on wearing them to avoid further abrasion?

I saw one guy on Grailed put shoe goo on the sole to prevent further wear.

4. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

How's the fabric for corawo? Any comments?

5. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Stiff and crunchy texture
    Quite thick compared to regular cotton
    Whiskers at flex points and will fade

Sort of similar to denim I guess

6. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

Thank you! :)

Do you have any pictures of it being faded or something?

7. MISCHIEF NIGHT

Two options, you can make a mix of epoxy material and re coat it, which I wouldn't reccomend since the epoxy is slippery in the first place, or you can Vibram them with a sneaker style sole, which for me is the preferred option since you can just resole them and get years of use.

Also ccp won't re drip anything, so that's a non option

Shoe goo is terrible crap, please don't ruin any of your stuff with it

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  8. MISCHIEF NIGHT

You thinking about picking up that suit that's for sale? The price point is pretty good, and honestly there will never be another one.

9. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

I thought the only option was to sell the worn out drips and buy a new one. Anything else cannot be considered. Lol!

1 person likes this.
  10. MISCHIEF NIGHT

11. Caligari

Caligari Senior member

Looking for true CCP XL outerwear hoping to avoid a custom order. Please PM if you have anything.

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

wouldn't wear these but had to post em...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. GarleyCavidson

GarleyCavidson Well-Known Member

I went into the Saint Laurent store on Rodeo Dr while wearing my Tornadoes and the SA there said, "my husband is a huge fan of Poell." Then added something about it being impossibly expensive.

It seems Maxfield hid away the last bits of CCP they had hanging around. They've even got old Carpe hidden away that they bring out during certain sales.

I saw L'Eclaireur's CCP room when I was back in LA for Christmas. @Kurta described the experience well. I did really swoon for the unlined blazer they had in the slightly stretchy cotton UBEL fabric... it's a hell of a lot more wearable than the rigid CORAWO one I've got.

Next month, I'll be moving back to Los Angeles so maybe you'll finally see a second person on the streets wearing CCP?

2 people like this.
  14. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Grailed 10 favorite designer boots and the comments are lmao
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

I remember they did the same for leather jackets and the list and author got heavily criticized. They pulled the list down after a day or two I think. Most of their lists tend to gravitate more on the hypebeast stuff. I'm not saying though that CCP doesn't tend to cross that line because it does but not as much as the other brands/designers.

1 person likes this.
  16. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

yea i remember that list, i was surprised about a few things on there. the boot list is just lame imo and i am not saying that as a ccp fan at all.

to me its more about being able to make up your own mind and selecting something cool. That list is the antithesis of thinking for one self. Sure SLP Jodhpur is a neat boot but visvim, seriously thats some ugly shit...

full list here:
    Rick Owens Spiral Zips
    Saint Laurent "Hedi" Jodhpur
    Saint Laurent "Wyatt"
    Thom Browne Brogue Boots
    visvim Grizzly Boots
    visvim Virgil Folk
    Common Projects Chelsea Boots
    Dior Homme "Navigate" Combat Boots
    Ann Demeulemeester Corset Vitello
    Margiela Side-Zip Boots
    Guidi Back-Zip Boots

1 person likes this.
  17. MISCHIEF NIGHT

Agree with you guys, this entire thing is the culmination of a few years of a particular underground culture that spans music and art as well as fashion being paraded out by people who don't understand its underpinnings and are just chasing a trend. When you see Kardashians dressing '' Street goth'' that looks to me like the seventh seal being broken.

Look at the bright side though, when all these tools who just '' discovered'' this work move on to the next thing, there will be lots of second hand nice stuff for sale on the cheap.

2 people like this.
  18. MISCHIEF NIGHT

Just wanted to add that everything goes like this, anything that picks up steam culture wise, will be Co opted by some pop culture shit stick and shown to the dumb fuck army they lead and like the sheep they are they'll follow along. It's just the nature of the culture machine. It happens with food music art fashion design language you name it.

1 person likes this.
  19. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

hivemind question,

which wash looks better with below boot?
    [​IMG]

boot =
    [​IMG]

20. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

I've gotta say I don't like blue denim with black boots
    With that in mind the darker pair just because they are closer to black