• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of Carminas and really like them. Excellent value. Now I hear all this talk of their sub-brand Meermin. The pictures look quite good, but how are they so cheap? What are the differences?

I reckon this must have been discussed elsewhere, but the Meermin thread is enormous so I'm a bit lost. There's this thread, but it's not very systematic. Does anyone have substantial insight about differences in construction and leather quality? Cheers.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a sub brand. They're different firms though run by relatives.

Some Meermins are hand welted - don't know if that's the case with Carmina but it's something that IMO makes a shoe a bit more comfortable.

Ricini

Reaction score
One significant difference is that the finishing on Meermins is consistently poor. I know many on the forum love the brand, but the five or six times I've been in the Claudio Coello shop I've left thinking one is better off with a pair of Allen Edmonds (shapely lasts be damned). This is not to say that the finishing on a pair of Carminas is without fault. I've seen seconds on display as firsts in every Madrid shop, but they are still not so obviously poorly finished as those from Meermin,

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin needs to work on their QC. The fact that I received an MTO shoe with issues that should have been caught is a concern, although not a big one because of location. My classics also had a problem

All my Carmina shoes have been flawless.

Take all this with a grain of salt though, people usually post when they have issues, so I am sure there are more satisfied than unsatisfied customers.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin Linea Maestro shoes is probably one of the lowest priced hand-welted shoes. Visual quality is probably between AE and Alden. But then again hand-welted shoes will have stronger construction than gemmed.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a pic of a pair of brand new out of the box Meermin boots I bought you be the judge.

nail.png

Also such dirty and sloppy work.

As you can see for quality Meermin really Nailed it!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Main difference between the two is leather quality, and where the shoes are made. Carmina makes shoes in Spain with better leather uppers. As others have mentioned, Carmina does have excellent QC, and customer service.

Meermin makes the shoes in China with some finishing in Spain. Harder to break in leathers with sub optimal leather quality. Their hand-welted shoes are very fairly priced when compared to the market.
For the price, and if you can find your size, go get yourself some Meermin seconds on the bay! Simply unbeatable prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads