• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how do you take care of your cordovan? I keep hearing so many different ways.Some say to only brush and use a damp cloth when dirty other say to use Saphir Renovateur and other others say not to use Saphir renovateur because It contains turpentine and to only use a special cordovan cream. WHY isn't there a definite answer like calf shoes?

I typically will brush off any surface dirt/dust, wipe down with a wet (not damp, wet) cloth, dry/buff a bit, then brush again. If it's looking dry I'll hit it with some VSC (or paste wax only for Alden shell). Not hard to care for.

bennanza

Reaction score
So how do you take care of your cordovan? I keep hearing so many different ways.Some say to only brush and use a damp cloth when dirty other say to use Saphir Renovateur and other others say not to use Saphir renovateur because It contains turpentine and to only use a special cordovan cream. WHY isn't there a definite answer like calf shoes?
Most has been said, I'd like to add that cordovan specific cream is not overkill and regular Saphir renovateur should indeed not be used (or most mirror shine waxes). Yes, you will not see any damage or difference when doing it occasionally or just for a few times. But, as you already heard, shell cordovan is not a real leather but tight fibers that will losen up when solvents are applied. The effects will accumulate over time.

I'm using the Saphir cordovan cream but I also used some mink oil (without any additives, still lying around from my Red Wing Kit). Basically, fats (also when containing waxes like e.g. beeswax) are Ok and good to renurture it and it will give that shine back once you feel it is necessary (after a few times in rain certain areas felt a little dry to me e.g.).

My tip: just use common sense and your intuiton /feeling: brush them to give them that nice typical shine when they don't shine, when you feel like they are a little dry, just apply some fat/ wax based cream without solvents (alcohols, terpentine, acetone ...). If you are not sure just read the ingredients list. Thats it.
There is no need to buy one specific product nore follow rule x or wait x month to apply creme z and brush for y minutes.

serbarristan

Reaction score
Hey!
Can you share the specs on this shoe?! Love it rain last? What color shell? Any more photos would be great!
Thanks! 80414 Norwegian split toe derby, Rain last, bourbon shell, single JR sole, chestnut edge, blind eyelets, round brown laces. Don’t have any new pics at the moment but will post some soon.

Berto1

Reaction score
Thanks! 80414 Norwegian split toe derby, Rain last, bourbon shell, single JR sole, chestnut edge, blind eyelets, round brown laces. Don’t have any new pics at the moment but will post some soon.

sounds promising ....

I'm eager to see those shoes

oskrusa

Reaction score
Hello @Carmina ,
There is currently a pair of captoe oxfords on Cognac cordovan on the outlet section of the website.

Is this color coming back as a regular offering for cordovan colors, or is this a leftover of the color 4 run we just had here?
Can we organize a GMTO here for that color???
Screenshot_20191202-144834_Chrome.jpg

ThePhantomHorse

Reaction score
I've used lots of different products on Cordovan - nothing seems to kill it but certain products can build up and reduce the shine:
1. I find Argan Oil-based products good to soften Cordovan - Boot Black from Japan;
2. Famaco do a really good cream for Cordovan that leaves the best lustre;
3. Saphir Cordovan Cream is another good cream - doesn't get quite as lustrous as Famaco;
4. Boot Black again do a Cordovan Cream that leaves a similar shine to the Saphir products;
5. I've never used Saphir Renovateur - I've read similar to you regarding its ingredients.
Hope this helps.
I own all shell* and it's easy so easy to care for.

My for longevity plan.

-If not dirty and has been treated with cordovan cream within the past 6 months just a brush is all that is needed.
-Same as above but dirty, damp cloth to take off dirt then brush.
-Every 6 months regardless of anything, clean with damp cloth if needed, then hit with Saphir renovateur, brush, then hit with clear or color (depending on shoe color) Saphir cordovan cream, then brush.
-If something goes crazy like caught in bad rain, snow, mud, something that get the shoes wet or dirty clean with damp cloth let dry then do the 6 month above.

Notes IMO I have never found the need to brush like crazy I find only a few min yields the same results as longer so I go with a few min max.

Honestly the above is probably overkill as shell is extremely durable. But we have all seen those 20+ year old shell shoes on ebay with cracks (calf too all leather drys out). So since I plan to keep my shoes for the rest of my life and pass to my son I take preventative care.

I have also found that many of the care products have the same or almost the same ingredients so I don't think there is much difference in particular brands even products within the same brand.

Example: Saphir Renovateur or "blue Line" is basically the same, as Saphir Medaille d'Or Renovator. The difference is Renovateur uses beeswax and carnauba whereas Saphir Medaille d'Or Renovator has uses beeswax. I used both products and can not tell them apart, if used under polish then you definitely will not notice at all. If using alone then the difference is incontestable and does not warrant at 13 cents an ml extra. You basically get the same product for 19 cents an ml versus 32 an ml. Like many brands one drop of X call it premium and you can charge more as someone will pay the extra cash thinking it is better.

Anyways as always Opinions vary widely so as long as you are doing some form of care you should be fine.

*Ok my slippers are suede but my sneakers are Carmina shell!
I typically will brush off any surface dirt/dust, wipe down with a wet (not damp, wet) cloth, dry/buff a bit, then brush again. If it's looking dry I'll hit it with some VSC (or paste wax only for Alden shell). Not hard to care for.
Most has been said, I'd like to add that cordovan specific cream is not overkill and regular Saphir renovateur should indeed not be used (or most mirror shine waxes). Yes, you will not see any damage or difference when doing it occasionally or just for a few times. But, as you already heard, shell cordovan is not a real leather but tight fibers that will losen up when solvents are applied. The effects will accumulate over time.

I'm using the Saphir cordovan cream but I also used some mink oil (without any additives, still lying around from my Red Wing Kit). Basically, fats (also when containing waxes like e.g. beeswax) are Ok and good to renurture it and it will give that shine back once you feel it is necessary (after a few times in rain certain areas felt a little dry to me e.g.).

My tip: just use common sense and your intuiton /feeling: brush them to give them that nice typical shine when they don't shine, when you feel like they are a little dry, just apply some fat/ wax based cream without solvents (alcohols, terpentine, acetone ...). If you are not sure just read the ingredients list. Thats it.
There is no need to buy one specific product nore follow rule x or wait x month to apply creme z and brush for y minutes.
So let me get this straight. I should brush everytime I use my shell and use a damp/wet cloth when dirty? I should condition them with Saphir renovateur NOT USE Saphir renovateur use a Fat base product like pure mink oil or use Argon oil base lotion every 6months or when they feel dry and Use Cordovan cream every 6 to 10 wears? Did I get that right?

Thanks for your time and info everyone

bennanza

Reaction score
ok quick question about the current discount situation:
Black friday is over, cyber monday is now? So certain pairs are 25% off, right? There is still written below include belt size for free matching belt for black friday offer. Would we get a free matching belt and 25% off??

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. I should brush everytime I use my shell and use a damp/wet cloth when dirty? I should condition them with Saphir renovateur NOT USE Saphir renovateur use a Fat base product like pure mink oil or use Argon oil base lotion every 6months or when they feel dry and Use Cordovan cream every 6 to 10 wears? Did I get that right?

I think most people agree that brushing frequently is good, and removing dirt with a damp/wet cloth (I don't think the difference is that great) is also good. Beyond that which products to use can be debated, and might depend on your preferences. Personally, I think plenty of people use cordovan care cream or renovateur without issue that I wouldn't be concerned with them. The Mac Method suggests using a normal paste wax in very small amounts, but I'd probably only do this if you want a high gloss shine (like Alden shell tends to have).

surrender

Reaction score
both of my pairs (brown longwing derbies on Rain, tobacco suede slippers on Uetam) arrive on Wednesday, can't wait

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All I can say is everytime I wear my shoes at the end of the day there is some surface dust and some bloom depending on the shoe and day. I think a quick and again I am not a long brusher I hit each shoe for maybe 15 sec a few times on each side the front and done total 15 sec. This is so easy and makes them look like just polished again in 15 sec so to me worth it.

If I had some mud splashed yes I would clean with the damp cloth that day. As for the every 6 months I think the idea is just to do something every so often that gives some nuresmant to the shell. As for the products 6 half dozen one or the other most quality shoe care is not going to hurt shell and will give it nourishment. So just use the brand and flavor that you like the best that you think works the best as really there is not much real difference.

I think I just try to use a product that gives nourishment and does not build up on the surface.

Looking at, using, smelling, I really can't tell the diff between Venetian Shoe Cream and Saphir cordovan cream. I decided to buy this huge jug of Saphir Saphir Universal Cream Polish - Leather Balm (dirt cheep) and really seems the same as Venetian Shoe Cream and Saphir cordovan cream. I would not be surprised if they are not all the same thing with maybe a drop or this or that to say it is different.

bennanza

Reaction score
ok quick question about the current discount situation:
Black friday is over, cyber monday is now? So certain pairs are 25% off, right? There is still written below include belt size for free matching belt for black friday offer. Would we get a free matching belt and 25% off??
allright sorry for talking to myself here but maybe somebody else is interested: This is only the case for one crocodile leather model, maybe they really do this great deal for these shoes.

Just wondering, since I don't see any crocodile leather belts on the site:
Would the matching belt in this case be a belt in the same color but calf? Otherwise it would be such an insane deal I'd have to get them, even if I don't see the need :D

serbarristan

Reaction score
Received my Amaretto order today, but unfortunately now have to deal with my first Carmina QC issue. There is a large, deep scratch on one shoe, and a smaller but still noticeable scratch on the other. Email sent, not sure what happens from here.

Berto1

Reaction score
Received my Amaretto order today, but unfortunately now have to deal with my first Carmina QC issue. There is a large, deep scratch on one shoe, and a smaller but still noticeable scratch on the other. Email sent, not sure what happens from here.

Good luck.

oskrusa

Reaction score

Most certainly Carmina will take care of it.

Unfortunately, Amaretto is not a regular color they carry, you might have to think on alternative colors or perhaps a discount if you are willing to accept the issues present on your shoes.
Hope you find a quick resolution to this challenge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads