• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There, there lads. Good things are coming and hopefully style #1 gets up :D . I’d actually be happy with any of the 4 styles, but my love of repetition leads me to the most familiar design.

JoeBlack0

Reaction score
I was recently told directly by Carmina that they prefer not to use hatch grain anymore as they find it a very difficult leather to work with.
Not sure exactly what makes it so difficult to work with, if any one here has any insights I'd be interested to know.
I would love to have boots made with Horween Russia/Hatch Grain Bull Rush.
View attachment 1285117
Interesting you say that. I was very happy with how my boots turned out but i quickly discovered that the left boot had the grain completely flattened out almost everywhere but the shaft ;( I’m currently taking with Carmina to find a solution.
AF1C27CC-1F5D-4F1C-9275-082C8187ED2B.jpeg
6451714D-CF3B-4E8E-89C5-E56A055CE448.jpeg

yengli

Reaction score
Anyone have on feet pictures of the Chelsea boots in Inca and rain, side profiles would be nice!

Berto1

Reaction score
We had a request a while back to show you the available sketches for a winged boot that resembled the "Calway".

As you know, we have a great archive of models that are both in the making or heritage from other generations. Amongst our selection we have found and polished four options.

We have decided to manufacture a new model which we will number as 80791. However, you all have the option of deciding which boot will be part of our collection.

Of course, we will also create a private GMTO for Styleforum users if you are interested.

View attachment 1284856 View attachment 1284857 View attachment 1284858 View attachment 1284859

Access this link to vote for your preferred model. Link

I like 4 models but to my eyes 6 eyelets and 4 speed hooks seem too much.

4 eyelets + 4 speed hooks would be more balanced

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting you say that. I was very happy with how my boots turned out but i quickly discovered that the left boot had the grain completely flattened out almost everywhere but the shaft ;( I’m currently taking with Carmina to find a solution. View attachment 1285402 View attachment 1285403

You will have that smoothing of the leather at the toe because it is stretched over the toe stiffener to fit the last. I'm not sure you can effectively last hatch grain leather and avoid this (I could be wrong). My StC Russia grain have are very smooth at the toe.

Trakl

Reaction score
Interesting you say that. I was very happy with how my boots turned out but i quickly discovered that the left boot had the grain completely flattened out almost everywhere but the shaft ;( I’m currently taking with Carmina to find a solution.
Interesting indeed, this must be at least part of why hatch grain would be a difficult leather to work with.
You will have that smoothing of the leather at the toe because it is stretched over the toe stiffener to fit the last. I'm not sure you can effectively last hatch grain leather and avoid this (I could be wrong). My StC Russia grain have are very smooth at the toe.
smoothing_hatch_grain.jpg
True, but it shouldn't flatten out that much beyond the toe area. The boot on the left hand side looks greath though.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Respectful disagreement on that.

Edit: Reducing eyelets from 10 to 8.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting you say that. I was very happy with how my boots turned out but i quickly discovered that the left boot had the grain completely flattened out almost everywhere but the shaft ;( I’m currently taking with Carmina to find a solution. View attachment 1285402 View attachment 1285403
Interesting indeed, this must be at least part of why hatch grain would be a difficult leather to work with.

View attachment 1285435
True, but it shouldn't flatten out that much beyond the toe area. The boot on the left hand side looks greath though.

As @beargonefishing mentioned this is an unavoidable problem. Due to the lasting process the hatch will be essentially removed, to a varying degree on each shoe. The stretching to fit the last will inevitably remove hatching on the tightest areas. I was disappointed with my Zonkey boot hatch grain whole-cuts as well. But such is life with hatch grain. You won’t know the results of the remaining hatch until the after boot is lasted.

JoeBlack0

Reaction score
I have other carmina boots with grain and the grain it’s only removed at the toe as you should expect. This is another problem altogether. Sons of Henry shoes don’t have this problem in their hatchgrains, neither lof and tung and both are cheaper than Carmina. Obviusly Edward Greens hatchgrain it’s impeccable and personally I don’t think this should be acceptable from Carmina.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have other carmina boots with grain and the grain it’s only removed at the toe as you should expect. This is another problem altogether. Sons of Henry shoes don’t have this problem in their hatchgrains, neither lof and tung and both are cheaper than Carmina. Obviusly Edward Greens hatchgrain it’s impeccable and personally I don’t think this should be acceptable from Carmina.
On the toe , it’s inevitable. It’s discussed by Simon Compton on his site, permanentstyle.com. Note, he has this issue on the toes of his £3,000 bespoke Gaziano Girling shoes. There is nothing Carnina can do about it. Outside of the toe, it shouldn’t really happen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads