• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
Sizing advice needed. I own a pair of full boruge on the Rain last that fits comfortably (semi brogue not so much) in size UK7.5 standard width. I also own a pair of suede Chelsea boots in size UK7.5 standard width on the Inca last.

A couple of years ago I owned a punched cap toe in size UK8 on the Simpson last and a pair of suede double monks in the same size and on the same last that I felt were a mis-fit. I sized up mainly because of the narrowness of the Simpson last, although I've never tried the last in size UK7.5. I just went with people's experience. The result was that I experienced some heel slippage with the double monks and sold them.

I'm willing to give the double monks another try, but am not sure which route to take. I love the look of the Simpson last. Could I fit a size UK7.5 on the Simpson (because suede/double monks are more forgiving than oxfords) or should I just give it up pick up a pair on the Rain or Inca last? Anyone else with a similar experience? Also, which of the three lasts (Simpson, Inca, Rain) looks best in a double monk set up in your opinion? Thanks.

I'm UK 9.5, and wear most Carmina lasts in such, including Rain, Inca, Forest, etc.

Here are my experiences with Simpson:

UK 9.5 :

My first pair of Simpson was a Shell Cordovan oxford. They were uncomfortably snugged and I had to stretch them using stretcher to make them wearable. (Being oxford + shell cordovan, it is less forgiving).

I do, however, got a pair of calfskin oxford in UK 9.5 that is more wearable (I got them used, so they're worn-in a bit) a pair of Double Monk suede, which is pretty OK, snug and tight, and a pair of calfskin loafers, which is benefited from its snugness.

UK 10 :

I got lots of shoes & boots this size, and it is one of my favorite fitting. Oxfords, Derbies, Chukkas, Chelsea, Balmoral Boots, you name it and I think I got it (except loafers).

I, however. got a pair of Shell Cordovan Double Monk which is *a little loose* but very wearable. A tiny bit of heel slippage which is OK. I think I could just eventually add insole if I found this unacceptable.

UK 10.5 :

I have a pair of Chelsea this size. The thing is, my usual Simpson 10 UK was out of stock and I had to wait for production, which I didn't want to. 10.5 should be OK, I though, since I sometimes wear boots half size larger in various lasts (i.e., Rain 10, Forest 10, etc) without any problem. I found they fit OK, a little, acceptable heel slippage (acceptable for a boot).

So, "I'm guessing" that UK 7.5 Suede Double Monk could work for you.

Hope this helps.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Carmina other than the Jumper Boots and Chelsea boots that you’ve had as MTO groups, what other boots are available with the fur lining? Can you do the 80488 NST?

From what we recall, these are the only available Carmina models which can have a fur lining:

Best,

Sara

bryanljs

Reaction score
I'm UK 9.5, and wear most Carmina lasts in such, including Rain, Inca, Forest, etc.

Here are my experiences with Simpson:

UK 9.5 :

My first pair of Simpson was a Shell Cordovan oxford. They were uncomfortably snugged and I had to stretch them using stretcher to make them wearable. (Being oxford + shell cordovan, it is less forgiving).

I do, however, got a pair of calfskin oxford in UK 9.5 that is more wearable (I got them used, so they're worn-in a bit) a pair of Double Monk suede, which is pretty OK, snug and tight, and a pair of calfskin loafers, which is benefited from its snugness.

UK 10 :

I got lots of shoes & boots this size, and it is one of my favorite fitting. Oxfords, Derbies, Chukkas, Chelsea, Balmoral Boots, you name it and I think I got it (except loafers).

I, however. got a pair of Shell Cordovan Double Monk which is *a little loose* but very wearable. A tiny bit of heel slippage which is OK. I think I could just eventually add insole if I found this unacceptable.

UK 10.5 :

I have a pair of Chelsea this size. The thing is, my usual Simpson 10 UK was out of stock and I had to wait for production, which I didn't want to. 10.5 should be OK, I though, since I sometimes wear boots half size larger in various lasts (i.e., Rain 10, Forest 10, etc) without any problem. I found they fit OK, a little, acceptable heel slippage (acceptable for a boot).

So, "I'm guessing" that UK 7.5 Suede Double Monk could work for you.

Hope this helps.

Interested insight. What do you think of the length of Simpson (half sized up from Rain) ? Does it feel elongated for you?

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Colour 4 Horween Cordovan GMTO is now closed,

1. @Vocans confirmed
2. @flylikeneagle confirmed
3. @CrashBurner confirmed
4. @budapest12 confirmed
5. @jamesnyc asked to be waitlisted
6. @stook1 confirmed
7. @up1911fan waitlisted
8. @ThinkDerm pending confirmation until end of day – new code sent
9. @bootyboy confirmed
10. @huskiee pending confirmation until end of day - new code sent
11. @Mr Clemson confirmed
12. @danadd94 confirmed
13. @p1yhRZks confirmed
14. @Blastwice confirmed

Wait listed members that can be included in the GMTO. You will soon receive a DM.

15. @serbarristan
16. @Perfectcircles

These are the wait-listed users, you will have preference in our next colour 4 GMTO.

@jamesnyc
@up1911fan
@oskrusa
@dfgiop
@Charllesun
@montanasnipper
@rgweiser53
@moondog-sparky
@Thilgela
@mugenlove
@goalaso
@chocol8max
@etl
@AlucardX
@Shawnc
@lcdx22
@Churchill W
@George Red
@Gertoshav
@jctune
@Joe Schmoe
@neelp3
@Mothetgoo
@scb
@thatboyo
@konig
@stijn
@Darkkp

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Carmina any chance of a last comparison between llubi and rain?

Rain last vs Llubi

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Carmina Sara, couple of questions about your fur lined models. Is the entire inside fur lined, or just the shaft; also does Carmina make sizing adjustments to account for the fur being added?

Thanks

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Carmina Sara, couple of questions about your fur lined models. Is the entire inside fur lined, or just the shaft; also does Carmina make sizing adjustments to account for the fur being added?

Thanks

We are not very familiar with fur lined boots since they are generally made by request. Nonetheless, they are assembled in the same last therefore the interior space would be unchanged. You would generally go for the same size.

Regarding which parts are fur lined, everything except for the insoles. Therefore the inner part of the vamp including toe area, tongue...

huskiee

Reaction score
Colour 4 Horween Cordovan GMTO is now closed,

1. @Vocans confirmed
2. @flylikeneagle confirmed
3. @CrashBurner confirmed
4. @budapest12 confirmed
5. @jamesnyc asked to be waitlisted
6. @stook1 confirmed
7. @up1911fan waitlisted
8. @ThinkDerm pending confirmation until end of day – new code sent
9. @bootyboy confirmed
10. @huskiee pending confirmation until end of day - new code sent
11. @Mr Clemson confirmed
12. @danadd94 confirmed
13. @p1yhRZks confirmed
14. @Blastwice confirmed

Wait listed members that can be included in the GMTO. You will soon receive a DM.

15. @serbarristan
16. @Perfectcircles

These are the wait-listed users, you will have preference in our next colour 4 GMTO.

@jamesnyc
@up1911fan
@oskrusa
@dfgiop
@Charllesun
@montanasnipper
@rgweiser53
@moondog-sparky
@Thilgela
@mugenlove
@goalaso
@chocol8max
@etl
@AlucardX
@Shawnc
@lcdx22
@Churchill W
@George Red
@Gertoshav
@jctune
@Joe Schmoe
@neelp3
@Mothetgoo
@scb
@thatboyo
@konig
@stijn
@Darkkp

Gents - what edge have you guys gone on your make-ups?

bennanza

Reaction score
Interested insight. What do you think of the length of Simpson (half sized up from Rain) ? Does it feel elongated for you?
Hey, I have a shell cordovan monk in inca size 8, a shell wholecut in rain size 8, a suede loafer in uetam 8 - size 8 is definitely perfect lengthwise for me. My right foot is a little wide at the widest part of the foot (before the toebox) - therefore i had to stretch both shell shoes a little and they are a bit snug.
I therefore had to size up half a number for my chelsea boot in calf on simpson last - widthwise (at least maybe due to the calfskin properties) they are perfect. Lengthwise it is a bit long, so there is minor heelslip. However, as it is a chelseaboot and not a flat shoe, its fine. All in all, despite having rather wide feet and size 8 would be perfect lengthwise, my chelseaboot in 8.5 on simpson last is not only one of the prettiest, but also most comfortable shoe I own. I love the simpson last.
Maybe this helps too.
Sizing isn't only dependent on your feet and the last, but also on the shoemodell and material.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads