• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Ummm, whenever I get my opportunity, I will go with Detroit or Soller.

Since you already have the NSTs on Soller, Detroit, with its squarish toes, might be a good bet.

I actually have 2 pairs on Detroit and I think I like the soller fit a little better. In fact, i think i like the look of soller better too, although I can't articulate exactly why (aside from the obvious toe shape diff).

I was originally dead set on a rain jumper but second guessing, as usual.

oskrusa

Reaction score
I actually have 2 pairs on Detroit and I think I like the soller fit a little better. In fact, i think i like the look of soller better too, although I can't articulate exactly why (aside from the obvious toe shape diff).

I was originally dead set on a rain jumper but second guessing, as usual.

Whenever you have a chance, please take a side by side pict of Detroit and Soller and share it. I still need to decide which one to go with.

storm_will_pass

Reaction score
Just received my order from the MTO weekend. Semi-brogues on Forest EEE in black shell with Dainite soles. Very happy.

This is my first pair on the Forest last and for me it is a slightly better fit than Rain. View attachment 1279278
The eyelets are an interesting touch.
I'm looking at Forest last for my next pair - how do you find it compared to Rain?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Whenever you have a chance, please take a side by side pict of Detroit and Soller and share it. I still need to decide which one to go with.

Will do, I can also include some other makers/lasts if helpful. Just PM me what you have in mind. I will try to get this for you tonight.

Edit: I'll include my Harlechs as well. That will be a good comparison since I know you have a pair too.

huskiee

Reaction score
I went with Oscar last, chestnut edging,and double JR with metal (lulu) tips. I considered ridgeway sole with flat welt, but like you I would also like this pair to be versatile so went with double JR.

Nice I’m thinking of doing a similar make-up, but probably on the Detroit last. Debating between U and NST.

I’ll do a rubber sole - I was leaning to Victoria but may consider commando. Haven’t tried either from Carmina yet - do you guys have recomendación on either?

Also - was there a surcharge for removing the split?

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice I’m thinking of doing a similar make-up, but probably on the Detroit last. Debating between U and NST.

I’ll do a rubber sole - I was leaning to Victoria but may consider commando. Haven’t tried either from Carmina yet - do you guys have recomendación on either?

I am also debating between the U and NST. I'm currently leaning towards the NST. I'm also debating between the Oscar and Forest lasts. I'm going with the double JR sole like @flylikeneagle.

Ventanaman

Reaction score
The eyelets are an interesting touch.
I'm looking at Forest last for my next pair - how do you find it compared to Rain?
Well, it is definitely shorter with a similar width.

For me, the heel feels more snug and the collar extends slightly higher (which I like). Overall feels like a slightly lower volume, but that is subjective. Forest is less modern than the Rain, but more modern than AE65.

I have a high instep and this is a great fit, whereas I have to size wider in AE65 for comfort.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's no surcharge. Sara did ask me on which model and last I wanted to base the makeup, and after seeing my response she confirmed there would be no upcharge.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Carmina any chance of a comparison between sineu and rain? I need room on the big toe and instep. The instep on the rain last is pretty much perfect. Is the sineu similar?

Rodolphe

Reaction score
@Carmina any chance of a comparison between sineu and rain? I need room on the big toe and instep. The instep on the rain last is pretty much perfect. Is the sineu similar?
SINEU_RAIN.jpg

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
For so long I wanted a pair of unlined loafers on Genova last. However, I'd been so unsure about my size on this last. Should I be taking my Uetam size .... or should I be taking Xim size.

Finally, I pull the trigger as there's a pair in the Outlet .... worth a try, I thought.

Here they are, during the initial try-out wear :)

DSCF3280.jpg

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None, unfortunately.
Only with rain, inca, forest and oscar.
I usually wear rain as it accommodates a high instep and big toe space. Tried forest and it was a good fit but a bit tight on the side of my big toes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads