• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must be missing something. I am totally baffled by why those creases are not perfectly normal looking and not particularly noticeable. Might be time for my next eye exam?

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully what is left of my eyesight will be able to appreciate the color 4 boots I ordered today... :-D (And hopefully they don't result in any funny creasing!)

huskiee

Reaction score
@stook1

I was thinking exactly the same thing - trying the Detroit as a NST to get a Carmina version of the classic Alden Indy boot. I searched for examples of Detroit as NST but couldn’t find any. I’ve never seen the the Detroit IRL and some of the photos I have seen ad cordovan Chukka make it look a little clumpy.

Do you have boots on Detroit? If so can you share pics?

Thanks

I was debating very similar things so this is extremely useful, and I’ll probably go for the Detroit NST. Do you think storm welt would suit this style?

Also, for those that are on the Colour 4 shortlist did your codes waive the customisation fee? Mine hasn’t and wasn’t sure if this was meant to be a fee waive like normal GMTO or the code just gets you the 4 cordovan option.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I was debating very similar things so this is extremely useful, and I’ll probably go for the Detroit NST. Do you think storm welt would suit this style?

Also, for those that are on the Colour 4 shortlist did your codes waive the customisation fee? Mine hasn’t and wasn’t sure if this was meant to be a fee waive like normal GMTO or the code just gets you the 4 cordovan option.

I thought the GMTOs are always a fee waive? I haven't done my color 4 order yet but I can confirm later. Edit: my PM from Carmina says it should waive the customization fee. I'd reach out to Carmina for help with your code.

Most people seem to order Detroit with a storm welt. However, the last can look surprisingly sleek with a flat welt. For some reason, I feel like the welt option makes a bigger visual difference on Detroit than some others. I'll update with examples shortly since I have the handy.

Please note, these are not my shoes:

Per my notes, these are unlined flat welt ptbs on detroit.
CarminaDetroitUnlinedPTBFLatWeltArmagnac.jpg
CarminaDetroitUnlinedPTBFLatWeltArmagnac2.jpg

From left to right (Detroit storm welt, Rain flat welt, Detroit flat welt).
CarminaDetroitvsRainvsDetroit2.jpg

Last edited:

danadd94

Reaction score

The code is supposed to remove the MTO fee (full cost -23%). If yours is not doing doing that, I would message Carmina.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@stook1 These look fantastic. I think I'm going with this model for my Color 4 GMTO. Likely on the Oscar last but perhaps Forest.

huskiee

Reaction score
I thought the GMTOs are always a fee waive? I haven't done my color 4 order yet but I can confirm later. Edit: my PM from Carmina says it should waive the customization fee. I'd reach out to Carmina for help with your code.

Most people seem to order Detroit with a storm welt. However, the last can look surprisingly sleek with a flat welt. For some reason, I feel like the welt option makes a bigger visual difference on Detroit than some others. I'll update with examples shortly since I have the handy.

Please note, these are not my shoes:

Per my notes, these are unlined flat welt ptbs on detroit.
View attachment 1278419 View attachment 1278420

From left to right (Detroit storm welt, Rain flat welt, Detroit flat welt).
View attachment 1278424

Your absolutely right. The Detroit is usually seen with storm welt, especially on boots. Without it makes it look a lot sleeker. Agree bigger difference than on other models.

I’ll probably go for with welt for NST Boots. The look of Detroit is growing on me. I love Carmina shoes but I am always surprised how much sleeker they are in general to the English brands I tend to wear.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your absolutely right. The Detroit is usually seen with storm welt, especially on boots. Without it makes it look a lot sleeker. Agree bigger difference than on other models.

I’ll probably go for with welt for NST Boots. The look of Detroit is growing on me. I love Carmina shoes but I am always surprised how much sleeker they are in general to the English brands I tend to wear.

Carmina's lasts are definitely sleeker/more elegant than most English brands or even American brands like Alden. Personally, I have never liked the Indy boot because the trubalance last looks like something Fred Flintstone would wear - at least on my feet.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of black cap toes on Detroit with a flat welt, and you wouldn't think the last is casual at all. Detroit is a bit more American-styled compared to most Carmina lasts, but it's still pretty sleek.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina's lasts are definitely sleeker/more elegant than most English brands or even American brands like Alden. Personally, I have never liked the Indy boot because the trubalance last looks like something Fred Flintstone would wear - at least on my feet.
I personally like the Fred Flintstone look! :rotflmao:

In all seriousness though, Alden lasts tend to be more spacious and therefore more casual. I generally prefer the Alden lasts for my preppy taste, but I am absolutely in love with my Oscar-lasted NST shell boots. They are a little dressier than the typical Barrie Tankers but still versatile enough for me to dress up and down.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like the Fred Flintstone look! :rotflmao:

In all seriousness though, Alden lasts tend to be more spacious and therefore more casual. I generally prefer the Alden lasts for my preppy taste, but I am absolutely in love with my Oscar-lasted NST shell boots. They are a little dressier than the typical Barrie Tankers but still versatile enough for me to dress up and down.

What's funny is that I definitely have the "preppy, southern" taste and more casual look, but I don't love those wide lasts for some reason. I think it's mainly because I am fairly short (5'9") and my feet are relatively small (US8) with a normal width and a slightly narrow heel, so this makes the wider lasts look too blobby, perhaps too work boot like, in my eyes. I suppose that's why I really like Alden Grant, Carmina Oscar, and Viberg 2030, none of which are "pointy" though as personally I hate that look. I guess I'm somewhere in between. :puzzled: Give me a Barrie tanker and I'm fine, but a Trubalance Tanker looks like, well, a tank on my feet. :rotflmao:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mr Clemson forget all that, why people be dissin Clemson football so much lately. Looks like y’all gone have to smoke some more people in the BCS Championship..lol.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@stephenaf2003 Yep, let them talk about LSU, Ohio State, Bama, etc. We like the "underdog" role. At the same time, they need to remember what my man Omar said (The Wire): "You come at the king, you best not miss." :cool:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads