• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 11 pairs of Carmina. I also have a 5" plate in my ankle that causes it to be larger than most (yay sports fractures). I can say unequivocally that I haver never experienced any ankle issues with Carmina.

But Rufian appears to have made up his mind and is just looking for confirmation bias.

Rufian

Reaction score
So you refuse to even buy a pair to try because of the return fee and you refuse to get fitted in store. Not sure what you want anyone here to tell you in that case. No one can predict how a shoe is going to feel on your foot and if you aren't willing to take a relatively inexpensive gamble (with the return fee) you're never going to know for sure. But no, I've never had this issue with a pair of Carminas.

I live in Florida. I have no reason to go to NYC. My only option is to buy online and take my chances. I still don't understand why they don't offer free return for $500 shoes. These are not seconds. Even companies that sell $80 sneakers offer free returns.

Regarding the "bullshit", shipping isn't free, even when a company chooses to eat that fee. And, you are in the luxury market. Carminas aren't a requirement for life.

AE offers free shipping and returns for their $395 shoes even when discounted. $35 return fee for $500 firsts makes no sense when they have stores in the USA just like AE.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Florida. I have no reason to go to NYC. My only option is to buy online and take my chances. I still don't understand why they don't offer free return for $500 shoes. These are not seconds. Even companies that sell $80 sneakers offer free returns.

AE offers free shipping and returns for their $395 shoes even when discounted. $35 return fee for $500 firsts makes no sense when they have stores in the USA just like AE.

Allen Edmonds is the exception and not the rule and you won't find any other similar shoemaker offering free shipping and free returns. AE's business model is largely centered around their large retail presence and customer service. Carmina's (and most other smaller shoemakers') isn't. If a $35 return fee is eating you alive, $500 shoes may not be for you.

Rufian

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds is the exception and not the rule and you won't find any other similar shoemaker offering free shipping and free returns. AE's business model is largely centered around their large retail presence and customer service. Carmina's (and most other smaller shoemakers') isn't. If a $35 return fee is eating you alive, $500 shoes may not be for you.

lol is not eating me alive, is nothing, I'm tired of having bad experiences with dress shoe all the time, I can't find anything that is comfortable. I realize these shoes need to be broken in, but for them to be hitting my left ankle bone, it shouldn't be like that, two shoes and both cause the thing, previous cheaper shoes I owned also caused this problem, what gives, is just annoying and waste of time, money and patience

spending $500 on shoes, only for them to mess up my ankle bone even more and paying $35 for this pain is just the nail in the coffin

Blastwice

Reaction score

Are you trying to say that shipping is free or cheap within the US? Just because companies offer free returns doesn't mean shipping is free. Someone pays for it every single time. Anyway, Carmina shoes are on another level than AE. If a $35 return fee is too much, I'd suggest going into your local DSW or Nordstrom Rack and picking up an $80 pair of dress shoes that will be more within your budget and you can check the size in store.

I truly think if you balk at $35 return fee, Carminas-- well, high end shoes in general, are not for you.

Also I have a similar protruding ankle bone and rub on many types of shoes. Actually this sort of thing has everything to do with your own anatomy and nothing to do with shoes. What I found was helpful was to try on many different brands and eventually move to MTM manufacturer to accomodate my feet and even then my ankle still rubs sometimes. With that said, I still buy non-MTM pairs from Carmina because I like their shoes and sized correctly I have minimal problems with ankle rubbing although their are some lasts I tend to stay away from due to imperfect fit.

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The nail in the coffin? Tried to take this request for info at face value as earnest ask but seems like b*tch/moan-fest. I mean, if your feet have all these issues and you feel entitled to free shipping you may need to hire a foot-therapist/consultant to nurse you and your expectations through the luxury-shoe-buying process. Maybe we're all just being trolled here.

Rufian

Reaction score
Why are you people feeding the troll

Unfortunately, in internet forums, if you say something/ have an opinion people don't like = troll

My experience is real and I had trouble with several dress shoes, only help is wearing gel heel pads and I bought some ankle bone sock protector which helps just in case, sucks having to resort to all this just to be able to wear dress shoes comfortably but such is life

81Om1DqJIhL._SL1500_.jpg

goranilic

Reaction score
Try Cobbler Union shoes. Free shipping and return in USA. Small shoe maker out of Atlanta, GA, very nice and high quality.

Reactions: YWT

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Looking for a couple of thoughts from you guys if you can spare a moment to share what you think.

I'm thinking about buying a pair of shell boots on the Soller. Has anyone ever seen either the high jumper or short wing boot patterns on this last? Regarding the high jumper, I was originally thinking that the shape of the soller wasn't ideal for the high boot but on second thought the shaft is covered by my pants anyway so why should it matter? Seems like it would be more or less indistinguishable from the short cap boots but with the addition of the heel counter. Thoughts?

In terms of the short wing boot --- really curious if anyone happens to have a picture of a short wing pattern (boot or shoe) on the soller. Curious how the toe and quarters look with this pattern and I can't seem to find any images of someone who's done it.

thanks Gents!

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a couple of thoughts from you guys if you can spare a moment to share what you think.

I'm thinking about buying a pair of shell boots on the Soller. Has anyone ever seen either the high jumper or short wing boot patterns on this last? Regarding the high jumper, I was originally thinking that the shape of the soller wasn't ideal for the high boot but on second thought the shaft is covered by my pants anyway so why should it matter? Seems like it would be more or less indistinguishable from the short cap boots but with the addition of the heel counter. Thoughts?

In terms of the short wing boot --- really curious if anyone happens to have a picture of a short wing pattern (boot or shoe) on the soller. Curious how the toe and quarters look with this pattern and I can't seem to find any images of someone who's done it.

thanks Gents!

Soller, shortwing (austerity), tall boot.

FE843CDE-FF6E-49AD-98F6-77A7B337FB39.jpeg

28B452EC-981F-4B5D-9AF7-0F4D95C4CC94.jpeg

I slightly prefer Oscar for jumpers but think soller is a perfectly cromulent boot last.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Soller, shortwing (austerity), tall boot.

View attachment 1245499

View attachment 1245500

I slightly prefer Oscar for jumpers but think soller is a perfectly cromulent boot last.

Are those yours? You should wear them more often... They are SUPER. Can't recall seeing you post them before. Is your preference for Oscar based upon the shape or the fit?

I should have been more specific, I was referring to the open lace pattern like the image below. I have these marked in my image folder as Robert last but I am not actually sure it's correct. They do look more tapered at the waist than the normal Llubi last though.

carminabrownswbs2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads