• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oskrusa

Reaction score
Could I have some pictures of colour 6?

Hey @Carmina ,

Viberg did a run of shell cordovan #6, 8 and 16 colors few months ago.

Color 6 is the lightest of all 3 colors on this contact. Scroll down the page for more comparison shots.

Last edited:

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey @Carmina ,

Viberg did a run of shell cordovan #6, 8 and 16 colors few months ago.

Color 6 is the lightest of all 3 colors on this contact. Scroll down the page for more comparison shots.

Many thanks, it looks very close to colour 4. Do you know the difference?

oskrusa

Reaction score

I personally don't own any pairs on color 6, however I have seen it and it contains a darker palette of red and brown overtones compared to color 4, and it is not as dark as, or as purple, as color 8.

Other folks here that own color 6 please chime in.

stevefok

Reaction score
I personally don't own any pairs on color 6, however I have seen it and it contains a darker palette of red and brown overtones compared to color 4, and it is not as dark as, or as purple, as color 8.

Other folks here that own color 6 please chime in.

For my understanding, what makes the shell color 2/4/6/8/18 is base on the layers of dye used to dye the shell. A color 2 (Carmina's rubi) has 2 layers of reddish dye applied on it, while the world renowned color 8 is finished with 8 layers of that reddish dye.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
For my understanding, what makes the shell color 2/4/6/8/18 is base on the layers of dye used to dye the shell. A color 2 (Carmina's rubi) has 2 layers of reddish dye applied on it, while the world renowned color 8 is finished with 8 layers of that reddish dye.

I believe that is actually a common misconception. Not intending to nitpick but rather just in case anyone is likewise curious about what differentiates the production of each color. It is primarily a function of dye concentration. It is discussed by Horween in the link below. I can't link the exact post but the whole thing is interesting reading anyway.

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Color 6 is basically Color 8 but dyed less (faded color 8 essentially looks exactly like color 6). Color 4 is lighter with more red tones.

Edit:

I believe that is actually a common misconception. Not intending to nitpick but rather just in case anyone is likewise curious about what differentiates the production of each color. It is primarily a function of dye concentration. It is discussed by Horween in the link below. I can't link the exact post but the whole thing is interesting reading anyway.

Concentration is the word I was looking for instead of dyed less. I'll have a pair of Color 6 in hand next week for pictures.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
"All of the colors receive 3 - 6 stain coats depending on the color. This doesn't correspond to the color number in any way. #8 is the original color number from the dye manufacturer of years ago, #4 is the same color, using half the concentration of dye, etc."

Therefore if the number refers to dye concentration rather than number of stain coats, colour 6 from Horween would fall between colour 4 and 8.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads