• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I attach a couple of pictures for your reference, from left to right 80179, 80184 and 80711.
View attachment 1238308
View attachment 1238309
Thank you! The 10 eyelet 80711 actually looks shorter than the 8 eyelet 80184. Is this due to camera angle/vantage point or is it actually shorter? Both look fantastic. What's the color and last on the 80184?

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I'm wearing my Alden shell boots right now, and while Alden certainly makes great shoes, I'm not a fan of the heavy shine finish they put on their shell. I think of shell as a casual material and I think a duller finish like Carmina does suits it better.

That can be solved! I had some issues with alden's acrylic finish and stripped it over the weekend. It was easier than expected.

Coincidentally, I am wearing that pair today for the first time. They don't seem to be any worse for the wear just without the Alden finish. I likely would not have done this if not for the issue with my pair but it's certainly doable if you are motivated.

20190910_131843.jpg

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That can be solved! I had some issues with alden's acrylic finish and stripped it over the weekend. It was easier than expected.

Coincidentally, I am wearing that pair today for the first time. They don't seem to be any worse for the wear just without the Alden finish. I likely would not have done this if not for the issue with my pair but it's certainly doable if you are motivated.

View attachment 1238501

How'd you do it? Renomat or something?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
How'd you do it? Renomat or something?

No, apparently renomat is both harsher and less effective than the ideal method, which is rubbing alcohol. Cordovan is so durable that I dont think there's a whole lot to worry about. I've never really liked the Alden finish either and my pair became sort of cloudy in some areas and I had some flaking along the back ankle. I think some people will selectively strip certain spots but I stripped mine completely then conditioned and brushed. They could stand to be brushed a lot more still...

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, apparently renomat is both harsher and less effective than the ideal method, which is rubbing alcohol. Cordovan is so durable that I dont think there's a whole lot to worry about. I've never really liked the Alden finish either and my pair became sort of cloudy in some areas and I had some flaking along the back ankle. I think some people will selectively strip certain spots but I stripped mine completely then conditioned and brushed. They could stand to be brushed a lot more still...

Hmmm, I might do a test run on my AE shell first, heh.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hmmm, I might do a test run on my AE shell first, heh.

I've never tried this on AE and dont anticipate needing to since they arent really coated the same way. You know, it's funny, i was debating a test myself but just went with it. Maybe try a corner of the tongue on your aldens if you want to see how it works/looks.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Carmina Hi, I would like to know the exact details for the first boot on the left so that I can order it in this GMTO. I would also like to know what is difference between kid and calf leather for the lining.
View attachment 1235616

@Carmina I too would like to know the model numbers for first and third boots from the left. I can't seem to find a 9 eyelet Jumper boot on the Carmina website. Sorry if you've already responded to Darkkp and I missed it.

Darkkp

Reaction score
@Carmina I too would like to know the model numbers for first and third boots from the left. I can't seem to find a 9 eyelet Jumper boot on the Carmina website. Sorry if you've already responded to Darkkp and I missed it.
It is the 80459. You can't choose it as one of the styles on their customisation page so you need to add the style number as a note after customising another style.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you! The 10 eyelet 80711 actually looks shorter than the 8 eyelet 80184. Is this due to camera angle/vantage point or is it actually shorter? Both look fantastic. What's the color and last on the 80184?

They are more or less the same height. Model 80184 was manufactured in the oscar last and an old shade of Horween Cordovan saddle.

@Carmina

I seem to recall you were checking a while back about whether color 4 shell cordovan may be available for a gmto. Did anything else come of that out of curiosity?

We did not receive color 4 in the last shipment, some shells should be arriving soon although it may take an extra month. Since there will be a very limited amount, we might have to create some kind of system to inform anyone who is interested. I can send DM's or emails if it would be of any help.

Boot 1 - 80459 with requested modifications
Boot 2 - 80459 with requested modifications
Boot 3 - 80277 with requested modifications

Any modified patterns that do not match the original pattern would have a surcharge.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dublin is a pull-up leather and has phenomenal patina.
Neither photo is mine, but these give you an idea of why I think this would be awesome:
View attachment 1238315
Well that certainly looks familiar. Those are my beloved boots, back when new. They have lots of miles on them now but look no worse for the wear.
20190309_110524.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads