• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Here are pics of my NST boots in armagnac shell on Oscar. Someone on this thread has them in bourbon shell on Llubi or Detroit, that look terrific.

I might be interested in this style without the toe split, if it can be done on Llubi.

View attachment 1135034
View attachment 1135033
View attachment 1135035

Hey Man,
Any chance you have some pics of this pair with some wear? Thinking about order something like this as well. Any idea if Oscar boots have a little more room than a shoe (ie. the PTBs). I find the PTBs to be an excellent but snug fit with thin dress socks and little more space would be good for a boot. I wonder if I could request a little more space in forefoot somehow.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, which boots happens to wear more than the other? Rain or Oscar?

Oscar, partly because they're casual and I wear casual clothes more these days, partly because the Rain instep is a bit high for me and requires a tongue pad.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I ask which last is more sleeker/narrower than others? I think that Forest and Detroit last are more wider than others, but can I get some advice?

80092 (Balmoral, Forest)
80450 (Balmoral, Rain)
80223 (Jumper, Detroit)
80184 (Jumper, Oscar)
80179 (Jumper, Soller)
I don't really think of Forest as a wide last. It's pretty middle of the road. Same with Oscar. Detroit and Rain are on the wider side. If you want a narrower last, Simpson is probably what I'd look at.
Thank you. But unfortunately, Simpson last is not available for Balmoral or Jumper boots.
It seems like wide width order will be
Rain > Detroit > Forest > Oscar ?
Can I ask you about the Soller last?

In general, I’d say Detroit > Rain > Soller > > Forest > Oscar

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
In general, I’d say Detroit > Rain > Soller > > Forest > Oscar

Hmm, maybe I need to retry Forest. In the normal width, I couldnt even get my foot into the shoe (a loafer) whereas Oscar fits like a glove. Snug but not uncomfortable anywhere. In particular, the heel is perfect. Would you say the instep is lower on Forest than Oscar?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have the Norwegian Split toe boot in the Rain last? Thinking about getting a pair this weekend to take advantage of the MTO fee waiver. But one thing that puts me off carmina boots is that the lacing narrows quite a lot at the top of boots as in the below picture. What’s everyone’s experience with regards to this?

View attachment 1225302
I haven't noticed anything different about how Carmina boots lace up top. I think you're just seeing people with skinny ankles.

This being my photo that was used as a comparison, (Forest last), I’d maintain ankles that fill up the shaft of a boot should more be referred to as cankles; however I concur that what you are seeing has little to do with how Carmina’s boots are constructed. It’s a simple matter of fit in my particular case.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I need to retry Forest. In the normal width, I couldnt even get my foot into the shoe (a loafer) whereas Oscar fits like a glove. Snug but not uncomfortable anywhere. In particular, the heel is perfect. Would you say the instep is lower on Forest than Oscar?

Pretty similar - the only difference I remember was in the toe box, which was still quite similar.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I ask which last is more sleeker/narrower than others? I think that Forest and Detroit last are more wider than others, but can I get some advice?

80092 (Balmoral, Forest)
80450 (Balmoral, Rain)
80223 (Jumper, Detroit)
80184 (Jumper, Oscar)
80179 (Jumper, Soller)
I don't really think of Forest as a wide last. It's pretty middle of the road. Same with Oscar. Detroit and Rain are on the wider side. If you want a narrower last, Simpson is probably what I'd look at.

Alcudia is also quite similar to Simpson but with an almond toe.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of derby boots in Rubi or Navy. Cordovan in the wild? Would appreciate if you could share. I'm considering jumping on this MTO offer, but would like to get it in a shell color I don't already own. Green cordovan is another option bit, as gorgeous as Carmina's green cordovan is, not sure I could wear green boots more than a few times a year

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This being my photo that was used as a comparison, (Forest last), I’d maintain ankles that fill up the shaft of a boot should more be referred to as cankles; however I concur that what you are seeing has little to do with how Carmina’s boots are constructed. It’s a simple matter of fit in my particular case.
Haha! Cankles. Those are the boots I’m thinking of getting in the Rain last.

yunBW

Reaction score
Quick question, is it possible for me to have carmina contact me about having changes to my mto after placing the order?Thanks

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha! Cankles Those are the boots I’m thinking of getting in the Rain last.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Anyone have any images of an NST on the Detroit? Back in Feb while debating my amaretto build Carmina confirmed it could be done. Curious if anyone has a pair and how the toe looks.

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Alcudia is also quite similar to Simpson but with an almond toe.

Thank you for your answer.

Regarding the Forest and Oscar fit, did you take TTS? Would you recommend size for me?

My sizes are:
Brannock UK7
Rain UK7E
Simpson UK7.5E

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.

Regarding the Forest and Oscar fit, did you take TTS? Would you recommend size for me?

My sizes are:
Brannock UK7
Rain UK7E
Simpson UK7.5E
Forest runs TTS. Widthwise it's slightly narrow. Forest E (standard width meaning US D) is narrower than Alden Aberdeen D width, which many find to be on the narrow side. I'm partial to round toe design and love Forest aesthetically.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads