• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I'll swing by the boutique on the 15th. Sounds interesting.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Carmina

I'm considering doing a NST makeup at some point. How does the 80414 differ from the 80189?

Which last would be friendlier for a high instep? Rain EEE or Forest EEE? I've only tried Forest EE and it was too tight in the instep

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Carmina

I'm considering doing a NST makeup at some point. How does the 80414 differ from the 80189?

Which last would be friendlier for a high instep? Rain EEE or Forest EEE? I've only tried Forest EE and it was too tight in the instep
If you're looking at EEE the 80189 won't work without a last change since it's on Simpson.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are the comparisons for Simpson, Rain and Forest.

View attachment 1022293
Oscar and Rain, as always remember they are based on size 7.5uk which is our size for samples here in the factory.
View attachment 1022294
Thanks Madhat. For the MTO version of the 80189, Rain EEE is an option as well. For 80414, both Rain EEE and Forest EEE seem to be available.
I've only tried forest and Detroit, as rain trades pinkie toe clearance for big toe as seen in quoted above. Doesnt seem to be a huge difference in volume. I know @jet-stream compared these at one point as well.
Obviously I went forest EEE for my first pair!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the comparisons for Simpson, Rain and Oscar and Rain, as always remember they are based on size 7.5uk which is our size for samples here in the factory.

You know, you’d have a lot less samples left if you went to UK8.5 as your sample size....just saying ?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Any chance that there will be more specific detail prior to the in store event? I'm within a reasonable distance of NY.

The event will be taking place in-store the 15th August from 16:30 until 19:00.

Initially, we will be having a meet and greet with a special guest as well as some very interesting offers for everyone that pops in.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Carmina

I've only tried forest and Detroit, as rain trades pinkie toe clearance for big toe as seen in quoted above. Doesnt seem to be a huge difference in volume. I know @jet-stream compared these at one point as well.
Obviously I went forest EEE for my first pair!

I only have experience with normal widths, not EEE. In stock widths, rain has substantially more instep room IMO. I agree with madhat’s note about toe trade offs in rain.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTO punchcap Adelaides:

FFBFA84B-5059-418A-815B-3C3CFD7D2F6F.jpeg

Cidermonk

Reaction score
Any chance that there will be more specific detail prior to the in store event? I'm within a reasonable distance of NY.
Per Kirby Allison's Instagram:

"Come join me in New York City next Thursday, August 15, from 4:30 to 6:30 at the @carminashoemaker NYC Boutique!! I'll be there to answer any questions and Carmina will be offering 10% off their stock shoes + waiving any MTO premiums! Please RSVP to @hangerproject"

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hah! It would be cool to meet Kirby. Perhaps I should bring a pair of my shoes to demonstrate my fairly poor mirror shining technique.

Thanks @Carmina! Cool event. I will try to make it if I am able.

Per Kirby Allison's Instagram:

"Come join me in New York City next Thursday, August 15, from 4:30 to 6:30 at the @carminashoemaker NYC Boutique!! I'll be there to answer any questions and Carmina will be offering 10% off their stock shoes + waiving any MTO premiums! Please RSVP to @hangerproject"

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah! It would be cool to meet Kirby. Perhaps I should bring a pair of my shoes to demonstrate my fairly poor mirror shining technique.

Thanks @Carmina! Cool event. I will try to make it if I am able.

Kirby would NEVER describe it as cool to meet himself. He’d perhaps say it is exquisite or delightful. He would perhaps say that a truly good mirror shine is recherché.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kirby would NEVER describe it as cool to meet himself. He’d perhaps say it is exquisite or delightful. He would perhaps say that a truly good mirror shine is recherché.

Melissa McCarthy/Sean Spicer said it best.

The men all had erections. And every single one of the women was ovulating. Left and right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads