• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll agree with madhat - Detroit (probably EEE) is likely the safest bet. Rain or Inca could work instep-wise, but each has a toebox limitation (big toe for Inca, little toe for Rain). Llubi could potentially work as well - similar to the HM fit but with an instep that is rather higher.

If it was me, I’d probably wait until I knew my size - the NYC store may do a customization event again this fall. However, if you’re definitely going to do it, Detroit is the best guess.
Well, I did say "practically irresistible"... Those whole-cut boots are really pretty, but I'm a little hesitant to drop $600 on a MTO without having a good idea on sizing and last. Maybe I'll find a reason to visit NYC this summer... Thanks again for the insight. ?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I Just came from Carmina. If you are between 2 sizes like me, take the smallest on Detroit last. My good friends at the shop gave me 2 pairs of shoeslaces for my boots . Excellent service and expertise !. FYI they closed down the Granvia shop.
20190615_171121.jpg
Rapelo, Tobaco , Snuf, Polo suedes.
20190615_171145.jpg
Bonus track for fashion shoelovers.
20190615_173302.jpg 20190615_170045.jpg

chatelet

Reaction score
Haha! It would be a beneficial tactic though!

My guess is Detroit EEE at 8.5 is your starting point. Your 9E barrie closure doesn't indicate excessively large instep volume. BUT, my carmina knowledge is very limited (only tried Detroit EEE and Forest EEE)

Can you please explain the difference between Detroit EEE and Forest EEE? I own Forest EEE and it is still a little tight. Unfortunately don’t have anywhere to try on Detroit EEE (and there is no RTW) so MTO would be a big risk.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can you please explain the difference between Detroit EEE and Forest EEE? I own Forest EEE and it is still a little tight. Unfortunately don’t have anywhere to try on Detroit EEE (and there is no RTW) so MTO would be a big risk.
Detroit has a bit wider heel, but not really more room than forest up front. I wish i'd taken notes in NYC...they had forest and Detroit EEE in my size (a black shell PTB). I think Detroit may have squished my pinky toe more but had more room for my big toe, but not a huge difference. @jet-stream @007Bond or @peppercorn78 may be able to give a better comparison.

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
wholecut_oxford_boots_80518_s.jpg

On a side note, the search function on the carmina site actually works really well. Put in a pattern or last and it gives results not only for what's currently available but also styles and patterns that aren't currently listed anywhere else.

I'd been wanting this style for so long! Sadly there's no shell cordovan option (but this came as no surprise to me .... I kinda understand the reason).

Anyhow, since the shell is not an option, there gone my automatic choice. As a result, I can't decide which leather to get .... so I just ordered (customized, that is) 2 pairs :)

Now another 45 days give or take.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd been wanting this style for so long! Sadly there's no shell cordovan option (but this came as no surprise to me .... I kinda understand the reason).

Anyhow, since the shell is not an option, there gone my automatic choice. As a result, I can't decide which leather to get .... so I just ordered (customized, that is) 2 pairs :)

Now another 45 days give or take.

Yup seen this, was so excited as I have been wanting these, went to order no shell so sadly passed.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup seen this, was so excited as I have been wanting these, went to order no shell so sadly passed.

Yeah fellas it seems no makers are willing these days to take the chance on whole-cut shell makeups.

vivalavie

Reaction score
Hi all. Some-time lurker, first post though. I'm hoping the knowledgeable folk here could help me work out what to look for in my next pair of Carmina shoes. I have had some useful diagrams and measurements from emailing Carmina directly, but would appreciate some guidance on the following:

- Do people generally take the same size for both shoes and boots in the same last from Carmina?
- Is a lace-up boot more forgiving in terms of sizing than a style that doesn't use laces?
- Do people generally take the same size in both Oscar and Rain lasts?

Thank you!

(For reference, I currently own a pair of single monks in size 9 Rain that are slightly too big but are a good fit with added inserts. I purchased them from the outlet with the intention of seeing how they worked with sizing and am happy with the shoes.)

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Some-time lurker, first post though. I'm hoping the knowledgeable folk here could help me work out what to look for in my next pair of Carmina shoes. I have had some useful diagrams and measurements from emailing Carmina directly, but would appreciate some guidance on the following:

- Do people generally take the same size for both shoes and boots in the same last from Carmina?
- Is a lace-up boot more forgiving in terms of sizing than a style that doesn't use laces?
- Do people generally take the same size in both Oscar and Rain lasts?

Thank you!

(For reference, I currently own a pair of single monks in size 9 Rain that are slightly too big but are a good fit with added inserts. I purchased them from the outlet with the intention of seeing how they worked with sizing and am happy with the shoes.)

1. I haven't seen a need to size differently for shoes and boots in the same last.
2. Well, loafers are notoriously difficult to size in general, and you can wear different socks with boots that'll fill up some space. But I don't really find that most of Carmina's boots are meant to be worn with thicker socks.
3. I think most people do size Oscar and Rain the same, but I go TTS on Oscar and 1/2 down on Rain. Judging by your description of how 9 Rain fits I'd probably recommend 9 Oscar.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Detroit has a bit wider heel, but not really more room than forest up front. I wish i'd taken notes in NYC...they had forest and Detroit EEE in my size (a black shell PTB). I think Detroit may have squished my pinky toe more but had more room for my big toe, but not a huge difference. @jet-stream @007Bond or @peppercorn78 may be able to give a better comparison.

I take a half size up in in Forest from Detroit for more width. forest 11eee, detroit 10.5eee

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
On this discussion of forest and Detroit, anyone know how the instep compares between Detroit ee and forest eee? I was only able to try a eee forest in a loafer so it was difficult to gauge.

goalaso

Reaction score
How many are there at this point confirmed on the 80728 gmto?

clhkg

Reaction score
so sad I missed the wholecut oxford boots mto waiver special, was trying to figure out my size and time just ran out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads