• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

markythemartian

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to get some information about the Calvia last. Is this Carmina's most rounded last? I'm planning on customizing a Derby 531 in burgundy cordovan in the near future and I want the shoe to look more robust.

That would be great if I can see a picture of a Calvia last, thank you in advance.

EUtroll

Reaction score
Odd overall if I have to have a weather proof sole Dainite is my choice over any other.

Overall comfort I would pick leather.

Interesting topic looking for comment on... I read that the JR soles are "Weather Proof" so that would seem to indicate as good as Dainte. Thoughts???

They're darn close if not a 100%. Not fully as longlasting as my dainite soles but night and day compared to other leather soles.

oskrusa

Reaction score
I'm within earshot of that; I have a spreadsheet that tracks total wears, days since last wear, and most disturbingly, costs.

Thank-you @madhat, for the input.

I assume you incorporated the updating of the spreadsheet on a daily basis as part of your routine.
I would guess you pick the shoes you're wearing any given day before the rest of your outfit, and you select a pair after glancing at the sheet.

Does that sound about right?

Again, thanks for the insights.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to get some information about the Calvia last. Is this Carmina's most rounded last? I'm planning on customizing a Derby 531 in burgundy cordovan in the near future and I want the shoe to look more robust.

That would be great if I can see a picture of a Calvia last, thank you in advance.

I think the only shoes that use the Calvia right now are the sneakers. It's fairly new.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank-you @madhat, for the input.

I assume you incorporated the updating of the spreadsheet on a daily basis as part of your routine.
I would guess you pick the shoes you're wearing any given day before the rest of your outfit, and you select a pair after glancing at the sheet.

Does that sound about right?

Again, thanks for the insights.
Pretty much! :D

jctune

Reaction score

Since I haven't seen Calvia in anything than a sneaker I would shy away for something non-sneaker - unless you are willing to be in the vanguard!

Sounds to me that you want either Detroit or Oscar. Oscar with a stormwelt is a beefy looking shoe.

That said, here's some Calvia.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I haven't seen Calvia in anything than a sneaker I would shy away for something non-sneaker - unless you are willing to be in the vanguard!

Sounds to me that you want either Detroit or Oscar. Oscar with a stormwelt is a beefy looking shoe.

That said, here's some Calvia.

Oscar would be my recommendation as well, or maybe Llubi (Soller might work too?). Detroit I actually think comes across as more dressy than you'd think, although it'll look beefier with a double sole and a storm welt.

markythemartian

Reaction score
Oscar would be my recommendation as well, or maybe Llubi (Soller might work too?). Detroit I actually think comes across as more dressy than you'd think, although it'll look beefier with a double sole and a storm welt.

Thanks for the info! I do have the Oscar right now in their longwings and it fits perfectly.

I’m looking for a more casual shorter rounded last and it looks like Calvia is the one. They used to have short wing grain oxford in the Calvia last but it doesn’t look like it’s on the website anymore.

I’m going to wait until Carminas no upcharge promo. I’m definitely really excited.

jctune

Reaction score
They used to have short wing grain oxford in the Calvia last but it doesn’t look like it’s on the website anymore.

This one?
WINGTIP OXFORDS 80502 CALVIA

There's also this derby (not for sale anymore) as an example
PLAIN TOE DERBY 80501 CALVIA

markythemartian

Reaction score
This one?
WINGTIP OXFORDS 80502 CALVIA

There's also this derby (not for sale anymore) as an example
PLAIN TOE DERBY 80501 CALVIA
Exactly those ones. I wish there’s a view up top so I can compare it to Oscar.

I’m going to get their blucher in that same last. I like the Oscar but I wanted something more rounded and shorter.

jctune

Reaction score
Exactly those ones. I wish there’s a view up top so I can compare it to Oscar.

Here's Calvia vs. Rain
upload_2019-5-2_9-14-23-png.1169107

And then Rain vs. Oscar
RAIN_OSCAR.jpg

To me Oscar looks wider and a bit longer. In terms of rounder I think they look the same - but Calvia is definitely shorter. Granted I feel like these drawings don't 100% represent real world experiences but its not a bad starting point.

@Carmina can we get an Oscar vs. Calvia view?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
How does the last look like? Are they pretty casual?

It's a relatively casual last with a fuller, roundish toe. I didn't love the fit, personally, but I was told by the rep that it was one of their most generous fitting lasts. For what it's worth, I didnt really find that to be the case and prefer Detroit, oscar, soller, forest eee as far as lasts go. Everyone's feet are different so ymmv.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics