• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised so many people are anti-Dainite here. Seems like in other circles I see people who insist on Dainite on all of their shoes. I think Dainite is barely noticeable at all from profile and while I do prefer the feel of leather I think the difference is minor.

Personally I tend to go with either leather (for dressier shoes that don't really need to withstand weather) or something like a commando sole for pairs that I want to be able to deal with heavier snow. But it doesn't rain enough here to really affect my sole choice.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm surprised so many people are anti-Dainite here. Seems like in other circles I see people who insist on Dainite on all of their shoes. I think Dainite is barely noticeable at all from profile and while I do prefer the feel of leather I think the difference is minor.

Personally I tend to go with either leather (for dressier shoes that don't really need to withstand weather) or something like a commando sole for pairs that I want to be able to deal with heavier snow. But it doesn't rain enough here to really affect my sole choice.
I think the Tomir (or similar) is the best compromise sole. I almost always will choose leather, but if I needed a rubber sole it's where i'd go. Commando is ok for boots, but I personally am not a fan of shoes with commando.

WilYa

Reaction score

Another anti-dainite-er here.
IMO by look it is smarter than commando but not sleek at all when comparing to other rubber options, by comfort the carmina one is insanely stiff but it seems the original one is getting softer recently. It is also meant for countryside purpose since it can be quite slippery for city use.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd overall if I have to have a weather proof sole Dainite is my choice over any other.

Overall comfort I would pick leather.

Interesting topic looking for comment on... I read that the JR soles are "Weather Proof" so that would seem to indicate as good as Dainte. Thoughts???

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd overall if I have to have a weather proof sole Dainite is my choice over any other.

Overall comfort I would pick leather.

Interesting topic looking for comment on... I read that the JR soles are "Weather Proof" so that would seem to indicate as good as Dainte. Thoughts???

I always choose leather over dainite, or any sole for that matter. I tend always get JR double leather when possible and wear them in any weather. My single leather not. The leather are just more comfortable for my foot.

gld edmond

Reaction score
I always choose leather over dainite, or any sole for that matter. I tend always get JR double leather when possible and wear them in any weather. My single leather not. The leather are just more comfortable for my foot.
So how long will JR soles last for you wearing year round?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’ve got too many pair to provide a definitive answer to that question. I wear a pair at most 3 times a year.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I avoid in wet weather but after seeing..

Leather with the JR-Brand label is waterproof and extremely abrasion resistant, tough yet flexible, very comfortable to wear and optically distinguished by its attractive grain and warm, woody colour.

Maybe I should not...

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leather with the JR-Brand label is waterproof and extremely abrasion resistant, tough yet flexible, very comfortable to wear and optically distinguished by its attractive grain and warm, woody colour.

Maybe I should not...

To be clear, I don’t slosh through puddles or anything. But, I do wear them in the rain.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maybe I should not...
My JR soles I'm sporting today have water stains on them from their last wear. I personally don't shy away from water in them, but like stephen I've got too many shoes to make a relevant contribution to sole life.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If JR leather is really as waterproof as Danite and as noted in the description extremely durable like Danite then I would have to pick the JR over Danite as leather is much more comfy.

I guess next rain storm with expected puddles it's gonna be JR to the test. Hmm do I have a JR with a storm welt gonna have to ck on that one....

oskrusa

Reaction score
I’ve got too many pair to provide a definitive answer to that question. I wear a pair at most 3 times a year.

Hi @stephenaf2003, that's a sweet volume of pairs!!

Performing a quick math: assuming that you don't wear any shoes on weekends, that leaves us with about 260 days of footwear a year, then divided by 3, it brings us to about 85+ pair of shoes, minimum.

How do you keep track of your rotation? I am curious, I have about a 1/3 of that number and i struggle.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi @stephenaf2003, that's a sweet volume of pairs!!

Performing a quick math: assuming that you don't wear any shoes on weekends, that leaves us with about 260 days of footwear a year, then divided by 3, it brings us to about 85+ pair of shoes, minimum.

How do you keep track of your rotation? I am curious, I have about a 1/3 of that number and i struggle.
I'm within earshot of that; I have a spreadsheet that tracks total wears, days since last wear, and most disturbingly, costs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads