• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^
Conduct yourself in any manner you wish. As for me, I don’t pay premium price for any used goods. Buying shell Pre creased is not for me.

Do you consider any shoe that's touched another person's foot to be used? I think there has to be a distinction between tried on shoes and used shoes. And I couldn't say whether your particular shoes cross over that line without seeing them in person. But regardless, I think you have to recognize that if you find it unacceptable to receive shoes that have any markings at all, that would have to have an impact on the return policy. And I wouldn't be real thrilled about making the return policy stricter (I believe they already charge a $35 return fee).

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you consider any shoe that's touched another person's foot to be used? I think there has to be a distinction between tried on shoes and used shoes. And I couldn't say whether your particular shoes cross over that line without seeing them in person. But regardless, I think you have to recognize that if you find it unacceptable to receive shoes that have any markings at all, that would have to have an impact on the return policy. And I wouldn't be real thrilled about making the return policy stricter (I believe they already charge a $35 return fee).
I don’t think he has a problem buying shoes that someone else has tried on. Merely, that they appear marked.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think he has a problem buying shoes that someone else has tried on. Merely, that they appear marked.

Yeah, but to some degree you're going to get marking the second someone takes a single step in a pair of shoes. A line has to exist somewhere. And, really, those shoes probably do cross that line. I just don't think the message to Carmina should be that they should make returns too difficult. In that particular case, perhaps it would've been better for Carmina to say, "These shoes are too marked up to be sold as new, so we can only issue a partial refund."

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but to some degree you're going to get marking the second someone takes a single step in a pair of shoes. A line has to exist somewhere. And, really, those shoes probably do cross that line. I just don't think the message to Carmina should be that they should make returns too difficult. In that particular case, perhaps it would've been better for Carmina to say, "These shoes are too marked up to be sold as new, so we can only issue a partial refund."
The mark on the vamp wouldn’t bother me but the lace wrap around the top would. In any case, he can exchange them. Can’t fault carmina’s customer service .

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I fall more in line with you not being overly bothered especially since they were purchased on sale, but I decided it sounded like I was in the minority on it. That said, it is a new shoe and if they're charging full retail it should be new. Maybe a discount could have been offered if they were at full retail. This is more a "flaw" on Carmina's end for allowing their customers to return these. That said, they also are in a difficult point with luxury goods in that customers get quite demanding when you start talking about that kind of money (or any money).
Alden dealers typically allow you to return shell ONLY if you haven't creased the shell. One can't get a full foot flex, but you can stand/sit/shift weight enough to determine if the shoe fits or not. I think many people are overly zealous to flex the toe box during try on. Once you've flexed the toe box, they're yours.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
x-post from our affiliate thread

Good day gents, can't believe it's already been 6 years since my humble shop launched. I can't thank you SF members enough for your patronage over the years.

I am still working on the 6 year anniversary clearance page which will include some floor models, customer try ons at the shop with some creases (will publish the secret link here on our affiliate page hopefully later tonight), I wanted to share part 2 of our 6th year anniversary sale.

This weekend only (today thru Sunday), purchase any Carmina Shoemaker shoes or boots from our shop at full price and receive complimentary Carmina Shoetree gift (while supplies last)

Carmina Shoemaker – Gentlemens Footwear

gentlemensfootwear.com
gentlemensfootwear.com

DSCF0499_1_1024x1024.jpg

DSCF0502_1_f4a5f90e-5a30-468b-9734-79dae6617fe4_1024x1024.jpg

DSCF0507_1_731b58e6-3988-49a5-b395-5f3360d8ac0c_1024x1024.jpg

DSCF0622_1024x1024.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
I fall more in line with you not being overly bothered especially since they were purchased on sale, but I decided it sounded like I was in the minority on it. That said, it is a new shoe and if they're charging full retail it should be new. Maybe a discount could have been offered if they were at full retail. This is more a "flaw" on Carmina's end for allowing their customers to return these. That said, they also are in a difficult point with luxury goods in that customers get quite demanding when you start talking about that kind of money (or any money).
Alden dealers typically allow you to return shell ONLY if you haven't creased the shell. One can't get a full foot flex, but you can stand/sit/shift weight enough to determine if the shoe fits or not. I think many people are overly zealous to flex the toe box during try on. Once you've flexed the toe box, they're yours.
I agree with the thought of once you flex the toe box their yours. I mean, once a roll is set in shell I’ve had a difficult time getting that to change at all.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So a few things. First off, Carmina is awesome, they understood my concerns and took care of it right away.

Your question about what I consider used?. It seems pretty clear. You’ve commented on the post so you may have an idea; if not take a peek at the photos.

In terms of “what has to be a distinction”, Ummm...no, for me that’s not a thing here. Again, conduct yourself in any manner you like. For me, the condition of the shoes was a no go.

Concerning “if this instance crossed over the line”....I mean, really? I spent my money on the shoes, so I get to make that decision. If you pay for my shoes, then you decide.

On return policy,.. if consumer wants to take a shoe out of a companies stock, walk around in them, put creases in them etc... and not deal with the consequences a company might impose as a result. Well, that’s just an unrealistic consumer.

Bottom line, if I’m told going in, shoes have slight marks characteristic of being tried on, then I get to decide if I want them. If a shoe’s marketed as new, I expect that. It’s not a big deal and is simple really.

I get that there are plenty of folks that pledge fealty to their favorite shoe company, and bend themselves into weird shapes to lick that company’s boots. All one needs to do is spend a little time reading the Alden, or EG page, just to name a couple. I’m not that guy, I’ll be very loyal to companies, but I have a sense of what is fair for me, and expect that from any one of them. For me, it’s the only reasonable way to operate.

And again, Carmina is a great shoe company in my mind. And like an amazing shoe company, they did what it took to make the situation right for this particular customer. That’s all the proof I need from them to backup my belief in them. I’ve advocated for them many times on styfo. I hope and believe their approach is going to take them a long way. It’s also why so many of them are in my shoe room. And why many more likely will be.

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
Finally, my first shell cordovan sneakers (and actually, my only pair of sneakers, currently). It's rubi + saddle shell cordovan combination.

Looking much better than expected, and fitting much better than expected as well. All in all, I might even get another RTW pair.

DSCF1441.jpg

DSCF1449.jpg

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Carmina, I have not receive an answer from you (web page Live Chat) about the 2 pairs of shoe laces I ordered 2 weeks ago. Could you please check it out?. Should I just e-mail you?. Thanks.

Yes please, let the customer service team you are missing your order for a pair of laces.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Carmina

Hi Sara,
Can we please come to an agreement on a reasonable solution for the issue with my order that we have been discussing via PM?

I didn't hear back today, which is fine if you are working on this with your team internally, but I would very much like to close out this issue this week.

As always, I appreciate your assistance and motivation to address the concerns.

Done, simply let me know what would suit you best.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Carmina I noticed a few shoes, albeit mostly loafers, on the website which are blake constructed. Is this possible to do on the GMTO? Would be nice for those of us seeking out the lightest, sleekest option in an unlined chukka

Unfortunately, we do not offer to customise blake shoes for the time being. We would only be able to create a large "regular" GMTO. Meaning a single model, last, leather.. where you would only select sizing as a group.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I dunno, I have mixed thoughts on those pairs that were tried on. You can't have a company that accepts returns in reasonable condition and not have tried on shoes being re-sold. Both of those pairs look like less broken-in than you would get in a single day of wear, and it's not always possible to tell if a last works for you by just slipping them on your feet. It doesn't affect the long-term value of the shoes at all. It does, however, affect that moment when you first take them out of the box. Should they be stricter about accepting returns? Put all returned shoes on the outlet page? Charge a re-stocking fee to cover the loss from selling them at outlet prices in the future? I don't know. Personally I would be slightly disappointed by receiving either of those two shoes, but at the same time I would probably just get over it and move on, knowing that it makes little difference after I wear them once. I might care more with calf, though, since a crease in a weird place may never go away.

No order should arrive with a used item or signs of wear. Specially if the item is from our collection. We will very gladly exchange them for an unworn pair.

The only occasion when shoes can be tried on would be outlet pairs, since they are unsold pairs that have been in-store at some point. However, no heavy use should be expected only shoes over carpeted floors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads