• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. @cc808314 -
2. @up1911fan -
3. @flylikeneagle - 5332
4. @p1yhRZks - 5303
5. @meowmix1891 -
6. @scb - 5320
7. @stephenaf2003 - 5307
8. @stook1 -
9. @neelp3 - 5338
10. @WNovizar - 15431
11. @dave_rawitat - 15453
12. @dfgiop - 15458

Is there a difference in thickness between regular double leather soles vs JR double leather soles? Also any difference between double sole with storm welt in leather vs York? I picked York for my Amaretto GMTO but am considering switching to leather. Also I assume the sole thickness is the same with or without storm welt, but would appreciate if you could confirm. My last customization order included JR double leather soles which I find to be slightly thinner than my non-JR double leather soles from other manufacturers (Crockett and Jones/Alden/Alfred Sargent). I prefer thicker soles for both comfort and aesthetic reasons, so hoping you can help me choose an appropriate sole. Thanks!

officine

Reaction score
Carmina what kind of leather is ELBAMAT? Not familiar with this leather. Is this full veg tanned tumbled leather ?

View attachment 1140239
@Carmina, I would like to piggyback on vmss' question. Would appreciate a brief comparison to Karangrein and Lama with regards to leather softness and resistance to elements. Also, do you have picture of a brown Elbamat shoe example you can share? Thanks.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Carmina my previous question went unanswered.

I m looking to order boot 80459 in Amaretto. The boot is not available in customization section online. To place the order, do I just choose any boot and mention this in the requests section?

Thank you

I used the shell jumper and in the notes put I wanted the full brogue jumper boot. That's what Carmina instructed me to do.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used the shell jumper and in the notes put I wanted the full brogue jumper boot. That's what Carmina instructed me to do.
Thank you. Just placed my order. I wonder where we stand with the orders.

@Carmina what’s the count of the Amaretto shell orders now?

Thank you

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I think I am one of the last - just waiting on a couple of questions and will submit my order on Monday.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need your help

I was originally looking for a pair of Crockett and Jones Bradford in brown calf. (As seen below)
But those seem difficult to find these days in a size UK6.
Do anyone know if Carmina makes similar looking shoes on the Forest last?
Cheers!
bradford-crockett-jones.jpg

officine

Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I think I am one of the last - just waiting on a couple of questions and will submit my order on Monday.

Haven't heard back yet on the last few questions that I'd messaged to Carmina. Perhaps you guys can provide some guidance? Would like to get this order submitted today and have pretty much everything worked out other than some (mainly) smaller details.

1. Am I in for a difficult break-in going with a double leather midsole + the York outsole? I've seen some photos of the double midsole and prefer the slightly chunkier look but rather not kill my feet with a very harsh break-in.

2. Any sense of how hard wearing the York sole is relative to the others? Leaning towards that one but debating between a couple of the other lower profile rubber options up to the victory sole, which would be the highest profile I'd consider.

3. Are there any constraints on the availability of wheeling on a storm welt? I'd read a snippet somewhere that some sole options didn't allow for wheeling.

4. Pros/Cons of the lining choices (ie. calf vs. kid)?

5. Any strong views on the Soller last with moderately tapered or traditional leg pants (as opposed to slim). Leaning towards this last or Detroit, which is a little more chiseled vs. the pointier Soller.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard back yet on the last few questions that I'd messaged to Carmina. Perhaps you guys can provide some guidance? Would like to get this order submitted today and have pretty much everything worked out other than some (mainly) smaller details.

1. Am I in for a difficult break-in going with a double leather midsole + the York outsole? I've seen some photos of the double midsole and prefer the slightly chunkier look but rather not kill my feet with a very harsh break-in.

2. Any sense of how hard wearing the York sole is relative to the others? Leaning towards that one but debating between a couple of the other lower profile rubber options up to the victory sole, which would be the highest profile I'd consider.

3. Are there any constraints on the availability of wheeling on a storm welt? I'd read a snippet somewhere that some sole options didn't allow for wheeling.

5. Any strong views on the Soller last with moderately tapered or traditional leg pants (as opposed to slim). Leaning towards this last or Detroit, which is a little more chiseled vs. the pointier Soller.

18EF68DB-8043-4838-8E69-D9A67475CC24.gif

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:crackup:

I've got 80179 jumpers on the York sole. Single leather midsole then York. They were on the stiffer side initially, but certainly not in the same room as foot-killers.

I have not extensively worn mine, yet, but I have certainly walked kilometers at a time. My Shore durometer is in the shop, but to the nail they feel about the same hardness as Dainite, if that tells you anything. I'd say the same for Victory hardness which I have on my other jumpers.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’ll take a shot:

1. Not too bad, more break in than a double leather sole, but nothing like the victory sole.

2. I sold my double York after a dozen or so wears, but I didn’t have any issues with break-in. It doesn’t feel as hard as dainite, but is similarly resistant to wear. Not as hearty as victory but less break in; my victory-soled boot is ... robust. After 2 dozen + wears I’m not sure it’s broken in yet.

3. No idea.

4. Kid feels more velvety, calf is theoretically heartier. For dress shoes I always opt for kid; for a boot I might lean toward calf.

5. I really like the shape of soller and suspect it would scale well to non-slim pants. I tend to wear a medium size cuff (tapered but not slim) and would have no problem with either last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads