• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oskrusa

Reaction score
Kinda sorta but a lot different lol.
My MTO makeup

BALMORAL BOOTS 80450 (080450-999-0000-10M)
Skin and color Cordovan && Armagnac Cordovan Skin and color Cordovan && Armagnac Cordovan Skin and color Suede && Brown Suede
Skin and color Suede && Brown Suede
lining Calf Leather && Violet
Last and sole Forest && Dainite sole
fabricacion Single Sole && brown Edge
floron Without Medallion
Eyelets Blind Eyelets
laces Round Brown shoe laces
Nominated & initials Without name neither initials
special requests Replace top 4x4 blind eyelets with 4x4 gold speed hooks
View attachment 1057033

@Misterg12, thanks for the inspiration.
I hope you dont mind me getting almost this exact same make-up... so bloody tempting...

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha don’t mind at all. It’s a phenomenal boot.
They are great. I was thinking of ordering the same make up in navy shell/navy suede, but went with something else instead. Next time :)

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right @007Bond thanks for getting my hopes up for the Frankenstitch Shell, only to have them crushed when I called the store to inquire about them. :censored:
lol..

The young lady told me they haven’t had that shoe for a very long time.

@stephenaf2003 I just noticed that the Frankenstitch and actually several other MTO's are active again and can be ordered at the original reduced price. If you are interested you can get your size same as original cost including the shoe trees.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@stephenaf2003 I just noticed that the Frankenstitch and actually several other MTO's are active again and can be ordered at the original reduced price. If you are interested you can get your size same as original cost including the shoe trees.

Thanks @007Bond I really like Carmina, but not so much that I’ll do $750 for one of their shell derbies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @007Bond I really like Carmina, but not so much that I’ll do $750 for one of their shell derbies.

I hear you, but sizing up the competition....

Alden is in the same ballpark and Carmina is head and shoulders better in every respect. Bonafe is north of a grand, Viberg too. Vass is 590 euros plus 40 shipping. CJ is in the same ballpark in terms of both price and quality. EG is astronomical.

What brand hits your sweet spot for shell cordovan?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any Oscar lasted shoes to compare at the toe with Robert, side by side?. Thanks.

I do, but will be a few days before I can post a side by side. I’ll go into the archives to see if I have done something like this already.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear you, but sizing up the competition....

Alden is in the same ballpark and Carmina is head and shoulders better in every respect. Bonafe is north of a grand, Viberg too. Vass is 590 euros plus 40 shipping. CJ is in the same ballpark in terms of both price and quality. EG is astronomical.

What brand hits your sweet spot for shell cordovan?

I'm with pepper here - Carmina puches well above their weight class. The only brand I can think of with less expensive shell (firsts) would be AE. I love me some Allen Edmonds, but Carmina and AE are not really in the same league.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell monks today:
EAF422CC-0110-40EC-AF50-873DC7653281.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with pepper here - Carmina puches well above their weight class. The only brand I can think of with less expensive shell (firsts) would be AE. I love me some Allen Edmonds, but Carmina and AE are not really in the same league.

Looking at you fellas collection it’s clear you are fine with it. I wouldn’t presume to speak for you guys or anyone other than myself. I also don’t disagree with you both in the statement about their place amongst other makers. I really do love the brand; I personally prefer them to Alden. I do own hand welted shoes I’ve spent significantly more on; but it will be a very cold day when I pay that price for a good year welted derbies/bluchers etc... Boots are another matter entirely; again these are simply the personal spending choices of Stephen. I don’t hold anyone in ill regard that chooses to do so.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at you fellas collection it’s clear you are fine with it. I wouldn’t presume to speak for you guys or anyone other than myself. I also don’t disagree with you both in the statement about their place amongst other makers. I really do love the brand; I personally prefer them to Alden. I do own hand welted shoes I’ve spent significantly more on; but it will be a very cold day when I pay that price for a good year welted derbies/bluchers etc... Boots are another matter entirely; again these are simply the personal spending choices of Stephen. I don’t hold anyone in ill regard that chooses to do so.

Makes perfect sense. :)

I have a psychological inability to spend over 1k on shoes (though I was able to rationalize a recent Bonafe order by using some credit I had from a return), so have ended up with mostly Goodyear footwear. I know they’re inferior to handwelted, but I suppose I’ve convinced myself that Given the size of my rotation and mostly urban walking environment, I won’t really notice much practical difference in the end.

I do hear you though. I miss the days when shell cordovan Carminas could be had for 500$!

Alden too, for that matter! Just got a preorder email from a top tier retailer asking $770 for black shell derby!!!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense. :)

I have a psychological inability to spend over 1k on shoes (though I was able to rationalize a recent Bonafe order by using some credit I had from a return), so have ended up with mostly Goodyear footwear. I know they’re inferior to handwelted, but I suppose convinced myself that Given the size of rotation and mostly urban walking environment, I won’t really notice much practical difference.

I do hear you though. I miss the days when shell cordovan Carminas could be had for 500$!

Alden too, for that matter! Just got a preorder email from a top tier retailer asking $770 for black shell derby!!!

Yikes, first world problems eh? Lol Hey, I ain’t mad at them, if consumers are willing to give them that kind of money for GYW black shell, why not.

Don’t misunderstand me though. I’ve got almost exclusively GYW, I don’t have anything against them. But given my appetite for, and the amount of shoe purchases, I have to set some guidelines for myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics