• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two things.

1. I have no exp with the Robert last if Rain and Detroit fit me well would a Robert balmoral boot possibly fit well. As we all know everyone's foot is diff just putting out a feeler if anyone who has the last can comment on general fit I know there are no guarantees.

2. Maybe this should have been first what are your thoughts on a green cordovan balmoral boot. I guess I am trying to wrap my head around working green into my rotation.

Revved

Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in purchasing the men’s Carmina Chelsea boot. I wear a 10.5US in most brands. Do you know what the proper conversion size is for Carmina? I’m not sure of their sizing for the Chelsea. I’ve tried searching this thread for specific posts and haven’t run across anything. My apologies if this query is duplicative. Thank you!

Zach Britton

Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in purchasing the men’s Carmina Chelsea boot. I wear a 10.5US in most brands. Do you know what the proper conversion size is for Carmina? I’m not sure of their sizing for the Chelsea. I’ve tried searching this thread for specific posts and haven’t run across anything. My apologies if this query is duplicative. Thank you!

It really depends on many things, but generally, I personally go with a full size down on all my Carmina’s. I’m typically a US 9E/9.5, and I get 8.5 in all of my Carmina’s. I’ve coincidentally got a pair of Chelsea’s in the mail on the Rain last that I’ve applied this principal to. I’ll let you know how they fit.

Cityplace

Reaction score
I'm going to be both in Barcelona and Majorca next month - anyone been to both stores? Worth a visit to both/either?

FONlx

Reaction score
Which laces do you prefer the most?

Carmina Cap Toe MTO.jpg

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two things.

1. I have no exp with the Robert last if Rain and Detroit fit me well would a Robert balmoral boot possibly fit well. As we all know everyone's foot is diff just putting out a feeler if anyone who has the last can comment on general fit I know there are no guarantees.

2. Maybe this should have been first what are your thoughts on a green cordovan balmoral boot. I guess I am trying to wrap my head around working green into my rotation.

Hmm no one has a Robert boot that can comment on the fit compared to the Rain or Detroit?

No advice on what you wear with green boots?

I know this is not the AE thread where there are most post then anyone can keep up with but come on this is Carmina so I know someone is out there for sure that has some advice.

Revved

Reaction score
It really depends on many things, but generally, I personally go with a full size down on all my Carmina’s. I’m typically a US 9E/9.5, and I get 8.5 in all of my Carmina’s. I’ve coincidentally got a pair of Chelsea’s in the mail on the Rain last that I’ve applied this principal to. I’ll let you know how they fit.
Thank you for the reply. I’m thinking of the boot with the Simpson last. I understand that it is usually recommended to go up a half size in that last. Therefore, my logic is 10.5US= 9.5UK + .5 = 10UK in Carmina Chelsea Boots. Fuzzy math, I know, but I’m open to other suggestions.

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm no one has a Robert boot that can comment on the fit compared to the Rain or Detroit?

I know this is not the AE thread where there are most post then anyone can keep up with but come on this is Carmina so I know someone is out there for sure that has some advice.

I have Robert shoes. But nothing on the other two lasts that you mention.

Robert is a bit narrow all around except for instep. I understand that Rain and Detroit are said to be wide.

I would imagine those with wide feet might find Robert to be unaccommodating.

That's the best I can offer for sizing.

I have loden suede string loafers and they can go with navy, or khakis, in my experience. They are definitely bold. People will be looking at, and commenting on your shoes. Some compliments, some snide remarks.

I would probably pass on the makeup at hand. Just doesn't seem like something that would get a lot of use, unless you are okay with that.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear Rain in 9.5UK and have a pair of Robert balmoral boots in the same size. I don't find much of a difference in the fit of each. Robert may be a hair shorter.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two things.

I like the previous poster don't have experience with the last comparison's you mentioned. I've got all Rain and Soller lasted shoes/boots. I however, do not find the Rain last to be wide. I've got a 9EUS foot, and have to choose an 8.5 in the Rain last, and it's still touch and go with that. But, again everyone's foot is unique, so the issue I have with the narrowness in the toe area is an issue specific to me most likely.

But, sorry no experience with Detroit, or Robert.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Robert shoes. But nothing on the other two lasts that you mention.

Robert is a bit narrow all around except for instep. I understand that Rain and Detroit are said to be wide.

I would imagine those with wide feet might find Robert to be unaccommodating.

That's the best I can offer for sizing.

I have loden suede string loafers and they can go with navy, or khakis, in my experience. They are definitely bold. People will be looking at, and commenting on your shoes. Some compliments, some snide remarks.

I would probably pass on the makeup at hand. Just doesn't seem like something that would get a lot of use, unless you are okay with that.

I wear Rain in 9.5UK and have a pair of Robert balmoral boots in the same size. I don't find much of a difference in the fit of each. Robert may be a hair shorter.

I like the previous poster don't have experience with the last comparison's you mentioned. I've got all Rain and Soller lasted shoes/boots. I however, do not find the Rain last to be wide. I've got a 9EUS foot, and have to choose an 8.5 in the Rain last, and it's still touch and go with that. But, again everyone's foot is unique, so the issue I have with the narrowness in the toe area is an issue specific to me most likely.

But, sorry no experience with Detroit, or Robert.

My biggest concern is just big toe room for example though the Inca last fits me fine due to the sharper cut to the toe point my big toe rubs and is all irritated after a few hours. I tried to find as many photos as I could of the Robert and it seems to have less of a cut then the Inca more like a Rain or even a Simpson but for sure its more than say Detroit. As is always the case the only real way to know is to try it on...

Thanks for the feedback if I get them I will post a comp of the last.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My biggest concern is just big toe room for example though the Inca last fits me fine due to the sharper cut to the toe point my big toe rubs and is all irritated after a few hours. I tried to find as many photos as I could of the Robert and it seems to have less of a cut then the Inca more like a Rain or even a Simpson but for sure its more than say Detroit. As is always the case the only real way to know is to try it on...

Thanks for the feedback if I get them I will post a comp of the last.

Double O, have you seen the top-down last photos on Carmina's site? It may help you assess the toe taper you are concerned about.
https://www.carminashoemaker.com/about-last

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads