• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
@chrfi
Thank you!

I really like those detroits, i have been eyeing a similar pair from another user here in cognac shell cordovan.. Are yours in the Brown Vegano?

@peppercorn78

Are those the Detroit 531 PTB. as well? What does PTB stand for?
Also, similar question as above, could you specify what you are wearing? I really like the looks of those cognac shell cordovan, but it is so expensive compared to other leathers.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@chrfi
Thank you!

I really like those detroits, i have been eyeing a similar pair from another user here in cognac shell cordovan.. Are yours in the Brown Vegano?

@peppercorn78

Are those the Detroit 531 PTB. as well? What does PTB stand for?
Also, similar question as above, could you specify what you are wearing? I really like the looks of those cognac shell cordovan, but it is so expensive compared to other leathers.

Plain Toe Blucher. It's a common style. I'm a big fan of them. I have three cordovan PTBs in different colors from different makers.

I'm not sure of the model number. These were a GMTO about 2ish years ago. Cognac shell cordovan, split reverse welt, rubber sole with leather midsole.

Sure, I agree shell is expensive, but it has its charms!

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
@peppercorn78

Would you kindly list those PTB you have and maybe a small review? And which would you rate best "value for money"? I appriciate your inputs! It really helps my decision.

Also, i live in a very rainy part of the world - do you have any experiences with your shoes in the rain? or maybe do i need to buy some shoe protection to help against it?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@peppercorn78

Would you kindly list those PTB you have and maybe a small review? And which would you rate best "value for money"? I appriciate your inputs! It really helps my decision.

Also, i live in a very rainy part of the world - do you have any experiences with your shoes in the rain? or maybe do i need to buy some shoe protection to help against it?

The shell PTBs I have are Alden whiskey, Allen Edmonds dark brown (dark cognac), and Carmina cognac.

Although I like all three very much, The Carmina's are definitely the nicest of the three inevery measure: build quality, leather finishing, detailing. The last shape is also the most pleasing to my eye. Fit is similar for all three. How one perceives value is subjective. I would suggest that the quality welted shoe that fits you the best will offer the best value regardless of price.

Shell cordovan is a very resilient leather, and will be fine in nearly all weather conditions (avoid road salt though). However, small rain droplets can leave water marks that can be unsightly, but will fade with time and brushing. Actually, every hide reacts differently, I've found. I bought a spray called Alden leather defender that's supposed to minimize water welts but I'm not convinced it did anything. I have tingleys overshoes, but I don't end up
Wearing them much.

Good luck, I highly recommend Carmina, as long as you can find your correct fit and sizing!

EUtroll

Reaction score
Tempted by a pair of PTBs on the Detroit last in green shell but, given the weather in Brussels, I'm uncertain on how much use I would get out from them.

Not a shoe for the office but would be sweet during sunny weekends :)

Reaction score
I was in the area of the soon to be opened New York store, and watched them unbox shoes for a bit. Quite exciting to see some less common and more flashy models. It's going to be hard to stay away.

IMG_1764.JPG

chrfi

Reaction score
@chrfi
Thank you!

Thanks, they are indeed the Brown Vegano ones. They look very shiny on Carmina's site photos, but are more understated in real life.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads