• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johnny ribeye

Reaction score
Catarina, What is the difference between natural and saddle shell cordovan colors? I am looking at samples online, and although they look similar, sometimes saddle is darker than natural, and sometimes natural is darker than saddle. Some people write that Saddle is actually another name for Horween Whiskey, and others say Saddle and Natural are the same thing.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're bored this weekend and feel like sharing some more suede photos, that would make my day. Trying to push myself over the hump to buy some suedes...
Contrary to wide belief, I find suede easiest to care for. For lighter color suede, before first wearing, I spray on a protectant. This protects them from greasy substances I might spill. Except those with leather soles, they tolerate any weather condition, clean up is brushing with suede brush and done. Dark suede is even easier. Suede requires no crème, wax or conditioner.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrary to wide belief, I find suede easiest to care for. For lighter color suede, before first wearing, I spray on a protectant. This protects them from greasy substances I might spill. Except those with leather soles, they tolerate any weather condition, clean up is brushing with suede brush and done. Dark suede is even easier. Suede requires no crème, wax or conditioner.
💯

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100%, without question in my experience as well. Maybe that's why I mainly reach for my suedes these days and leave my smooth leathers behind...

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Also agreed. I've ditched most of my calf collection for suede and shell. Much lower maintenance, less fuss, and I don't have to worry as much about damage.

harlequin782

Reaction score
I dont find suede hard to care for at all..after an application of suede protector theyre virtually impervious to most stains, and carmina's suede tends to look and feel luxurious out of the box, so I havent noticed any deterioration. Ive used suede shampoo and a suede eraser on a pair, and it easily restored their appearance to practically new.

Last edited:

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this suede talk has me excited to place my order!

Any of the zip boots out here? Not sure how I feel about them - I like chelseas, but dislike the elastic sides, so thinking the zip boot may be a good alternative.

Blastwice

Reaction score
Here are Carmina zip boots in suede:
image_504266.JPG

image_50.JPG

I agree with the other guys, I don't do anything to my suede but wear it. If I really spill a lot of beer on it (alas) I'll take it to a local shop and they'll make it look like new for a few bucks.

As for these boots, they are very comfy. Suede just seems to get softer and softer every time you wear it.

grenache

Reaction score
Just received these Calways and noted that the leather/last is pulled tighter on the left shoe vs the right so the grain is smoothed out more and to my eye appears slightly sleeker in the left foot. Is this noticeable to anyone else? Something worth caring about knowing they’ll eventually get beat up a bit? BDD5512E-915E-4560-B9F5-CC252BF5A71A.jpeg

MD1969

Reaction score
Just received these Calways and noted that the leather/last is pulled tighter on the left shoe vs the right so the grain is smoothed out more and to my eye appears slightly sleeker in the left foot. Is this noticeable to anyone else? Something worth caring about knowing they’ll eventually get beat up a bit? View attachment 1822632
For what you probably paid, I don’t like the look.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Just received these Calways and noted that the leather/last is pulled tighter on the left shoe vs the right so the grain is smoothed out more and to my eye appears slightly sleeker in the left foot. Is this noticeable to anyone else? Something worth caring about knowing they’ll eventually get beat up a bit? View attachment 1822632

I'd say that's an honest complaint. You can probably see that from eye level and it can't really be concealed with polish/wax.

Ugrant

Reaction score
It definitely looks different. I would say that the left one seems a little bit bigger but it's probably due to the perspective.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads