• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post pics?

Some part of horween shell can be as thin as 2.5 to 2oz like 0.8mm, some parts are 2.5mm, which is insane variation in a hide. Compare to Italian shell which is shaved to the same thickness.

TBH Carmina can click it in a lot of ways, I highly doubt they will click the thickest part to the vamp, i would think it's all random. Carmina also apply their own finish which can hide a lot of weird horween shell parts that is around the edge.
Pictures always help :)

The Bourbon pair has some awesome rolls, the green pair is okay (kinda) with sharp creases, then the burgundy pair looks like absolute trash IMO, wish super sharp creasing (after a single wear) (photo was taken after smoothing down their sharpness with a damp cloth)

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

Reactions: AWu

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Bourbon pair has some awesome rolls, the green pair is okay (kinda) with sharp creases, then the burgundy pair looks like absolute trash IMO, wish super sharp creasing (after a single wear) (photo was taken after smoothing down their sharpness with a damp cloth)

View attachment 1744007
View attachment 1744008
View attachment 1744009
You and I have very different definitions of trash. I think they look great. I have a pair of Aldens (don't have pic right now) that have really thin shell on one vamp, and they are wrinkled like crazy. I can get that extreme not being someone's aesthetic, but that's very little creasing I'm seeing.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

View attachment 1744007
View attachment 1744008
View attachment 1744009

As @madhat noted, I think this is well within the range of "normal" for shell. Not really sure what else to say here. It's a natural material. All three pairs look good to me.

I think we might be the same size so if you are looking to offload the hatch grain pair feel free to shoot me a note.

Blastwice

Reaction score

View attachment 1744007
View attachment 1744008
View attachment 1744009

These I would not call "sharp creases"; these are just normal rolls in shell and all three look great.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since it's the consensus, I'll just see how they develop. Appreciate you guys sharing your two cents

Joey Don't Care - Imgflip

SirThopas

Reaction score
I'm sticking with what I said from the get-go... given the limited amount of shell you have now, I would go for Armagnac, a darker shade of Bourbon, or perhaps the best option given your last note here would be Color #4, which is reddish brown without being RED(!!). If you do decide to go with Ruby, I would explicitly request shells that skew towards brown. They will still be very red but I think you will be happier with the outcome.

I went for Armagnac in the end. Thank you for your input.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1744007
View attachment 1744008
View attachment 1744009
Yeah, those are definitely not creases. If you want to see the pretty obvious differences, put them next to worn calf.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks on 7.5UK rejoice.
Carmina has posted a large batch of shoes and boots on the outlet at 30% off, exclusively on that size.
Unfortunately, that seems to be their standard demo size. If they had any sense, it would be UK8.5 :lookaround:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads